REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

aircare question

long story short, i have a 2000 civic which runs obd2b, and im running an p28 obd1 ecu with my swap.

i need aircare, it runs out jan 31st this year, insurance is up feb 14th.

if i cancel right now and reinsure it say friday, should that be early enough to not have to run through aircare again?
Advertisement
bensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
I believed they closed this loophole already
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
I believed they closed this loophole already
Posted via RS Mobile
how did they close it.. say i was going to park my car and take transit.. then decided a couple days later fuck transit and i wanna re insure my car.. how can they deny your valid aircare?

snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
School me on why you can't aircare this? Do they plug in to your obd2 port and go, "wtf mate? this mate's running obd1".
Old 01-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #5

obd2 is newer and they would do the plug scan, obd1 dosnt read the same so they would attempt a roller test

OP's car isnt in condition to be aircared do to some mods and hes asking if un insuring and re insuring will buy him another year as his aircare is valid for a couple more weeks
Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Because you are not supposed to tamper with the emission control system, which is what ODB is part of.

ODB1 is incompatible electrically to ODB2. At some States you can't legally put in an engine that is older than the chassis unless you get a new VIN.

People who complain about Aircare should think about: If they phase out Aircare they will likely replace it with some other kind of inspection.. choosing Aircare ($45) over VI type inspection ($100), which takes a whole day.. which one would you pick? or a Govt based place with no incentive for them to get you to fix things, vs farming it out to Crappy Tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
School me on why you can't aircare this? Do they plug in to your obd2 port and go, "wtf mate? this mate's running obd1".
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #7

Ah ok, so it's not like since he's got the different ecu they will auto fail him. He just doesn't think his car will pass the roller test.

You can pass it, I believe in you! If my old car, a 30 year old 4cyl with a medium sized turbo running megasquirt could pass aircare then your civic will pass. All else fails, loosen up the exhaust and go for round 2.

In the dozen times i've been to aircare i've had a technician pop the hood once and pretend to know what he was looking at/for
Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

no ones complaining.. just asking how ICBC and aircare would handle un insuring to re insuring..

you needa pay money to re insure so its not money out of ICBC's pocket
Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #9

It's never money out of ICBC's pocket haha.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Benny,
you want to cancel your insurance, turn your plates in, and re insure the vehicle just to get you another year? just do the leg work and get the car running good and off to Aircare.
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #11

im not complaining by any means, i haven't even attempted to test it.

im just worried that if i cancel my insurance tonight, hand in the plates and then go in tomorrow to get new plates, that they will say aircare is required.

i know its all my fault for leaving it so late, im kicking myself in the ass for it.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Ok, let's clear this up.

Because the OP's car is 98+ he doesn't have an option to run his car on the rollers. His ecu HAS to connect to with the Aircare computers. Because he is running obd1, there is no way it's gonna work. Save your money, and don't bother trying to see if it will somehow work.

Trust me, I've been through this before. The first time I didn't even think it would be an issue. I had no CEL, everything was working great, etc. Nope. My car wouldn't interface with Aircares computer (because I also had an obd1 ecu). Instafail. The second time trying -and ultimately failing- I BEGGED them to do the roller test. No dice.

You'll need to swap out that ecu with one (an obd2 ecu) that will interface with the Aircare computers.

Most of the local tuner shops have ways of getting you through Aircare though. If you can't figure out a loophole with insurance, this is an option. This is what I ended up having to do.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #13

Pm me if you need to know the tricky trick method of (properly and legally) insuring a car and bypassing air care.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #14
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
A failure to communicate is not a fail.
Your car will instead be rejected and your money refunded. There are exceptions where a 98+ vehicle will receive a drive test instead of the OBD test but your car does not qualify
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #15
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post
Pm me if you need to know the tricky trick method of (properly and legally) insuring a car and bypassing air care.
Why not just post it, if it is proper and legal, so we can all learn something? Why does it have to be all hush hush.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Why not just post it, if it is proper and legal, so we can all learn something? Why does it have to be all hush hush.
Because it's sneaky and deceitful and if ICBC figures out how it works they could probably shut it down. Don't think adjusters don't read this board.

Here goes anyway

Prepare:

1. Have no valid air care and wish to renew your insurance
2. Have an address in a non-AirCare territory (vacation home, friends house on the island/interior, even Washington state will do)
3. Have the car parked off the road on private property in BC (preferably inside a garage not accessible to the public).
4. Be the sole owner

Method:
5. Go insure your car at any Autoplan broker at the rates and for the declared use which you wish to have.
6. Change the location where it is stored to something not in Metro Vancouver. I have used territory Z (out of province) in the past.
7. Go home and wait one day
8. Go to a different Autoplan broker and change the address where it is stored to the real, truthful location (inside the Metro Vancouver AirCare territory).

Now this is where the problems may start.

9. Some Autoplan brokers are not 100% familiar with the rules. They may claim that they cannot move the car because it has no AirCare -HOWEVER- this is not the case. You already have valid insurance and you are simply updating the address. It should be that they can move the car into the territory and then generate a report asking you to visit AirCare within the next 30 days.
10. Toss the AirCare request in the trash.

Then do it all over again in a year.

You may either need to negotiate or just visit a few brokers. First time I tried this, I had to go to 3 brokers to get it done.
The one that ended up doing it Cooperators in Metro across from Superstore.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I should add that if and when you get into an accident (hopefully not) and ICBC does a thorough investigation exposing the fact that you DO NOT live under a territory Z area, you are fucked, fucked, fucked.

Source: Happened to a few RS members here who have shared their experiences on the forum and someone I know.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I should add that if and when you get into an accident (hopefully not) and ICBC does a thorough investigation exposing the fact that you DO NOT live under a territory Z area, you are fucked, fucked, fucked.
Step 8 details transferring it back.

For 364 days a year, my car is registered to my real home address inside Metro Vancouver.
For 1 day a year, my car is registered to my vacation home.

For that one day, my car is inside the locked garage not on public roads. In the unlikely event of a collision, the address on the insurance would have been the one of my house in Metro Vancouver.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Thanks for sharing that.

I should have clarified my post. It was simply to emphasize the level of risk you incur in the event the individual simply forgets or fails to follow step 8 as detailed in your post above. I am not condoning or rejecting this idea. People who are considering this method should be well aware of any possible consequences and risks they are exposing themselves to, making them very vulnerable to such a grey area.

Despite whether you perform step 8 or not, a paper trail is left behind. If ICBC wants to find out what's going on, they will go great lengths to do so and have the resources at their disposal.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-08-2014 at 10:00 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #20

yes i have spoken with a local shop that offered me a flat rate + aircare fees to get me through guaranteed. its an option i'm considering as well.

the few people and shops ive talked to have said 95% chance they will reject the option of me hitting the rollers because my cars emissions are ment to be tested using a computer and not traditional methods. (which sucks, my engine has ~10k on it, i guarantee it will pass on the rollers lol).

oh well, i will have the consider my options. thanks everyone for their input.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
A failure to communicate is not a fail.
Your car will instead be rejected and your money refunded. There are exceptions where a 98+ vehicle will receive a drive test instead of the OBD test but your car does not qualify
Posted via RS Mobile
It was for me. Twice.

It was considered a fail each time, and I did NOT get my money refunded. The only issue was that it would not communicate with the Aircare computers.

Kinda pisses me off, as it sounds like I should have gotten my money back...
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote