REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #26
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
:
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Domestics are looking sick as fuck!!!

The GT-R is one of the ugliest cars available right now. New BMWs look cartoonish, even a bit... gay. Like I expect male hairdressers to drive up, put the window down, and go "Heeeeeey!"

I also have to say that even though the Supra and FD Rx-7 are like 20 years old, they are still some of the BEST looking cars ever made.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Domestics are looking sick as fuck!!!

The GT-R is one of the ugliest cars available right now. New BMWs look cartoonish, even a bit... gay. Like I expect male hairdressers to drive up, put the window down, and go "Heeeeeey!"

I also have to say that even though the Supra and FD Rx-7 are like 20 years old, they are still some of the BEST looking cars ever made.
I could not agree with you more.

The MKIV Supra and the FD RX7 are the two most beautiful car designs of all time IMO. That is the exact reason why I own a MKIV, they are a beautiful car and even 20 years after they were first introduced they are still beautiful and they are one of the most heavily supported cars for aftermarket so its a win win.

However, if car makers keep coming up with designs like this Vette then there will be some modern day contenders for that title.
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #29
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Not feeling the quad exhaust tips in the middle - just looks awkward... but the triple exhaust tips in the middle of the 458 italia works much better.
Im really liking the extra aero exterior pieces the z06 has over the base vette tho, especially that its from factory.
GeeGeeCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
I could not agree with you more.

The MKIV Supra and the FD RX7 are the two most beautiful car designs of all time IMO.

Many of my favorite cars are from that era. The E36 3 series, E39 M5, the NSX, R34 GT-R, F355, even the lowly Ford Probe still looks decent! I saw a lowered blue Probe with nice wheels the other day, looked pretty good. 911 Turbos around 95-97 also look great. They still have the old school flavour with modern touches, a perfect blend IMO.

Concept cars like the GT90 looked truly space-age. XJ220!

Call me crazy, but I would totally rock a Lotus Esprit. You can pick one up on Ebay for under 50k and I find them incredibly stylish. Like a late 80's Bond villain car.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #31
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Here is a refresher on the history of Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Wait, shouldn't this be called the Z07?

If the Z0whatever has 620hp/650tqs, wtf kind of monster is the ZR1 going to be?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #32

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
this only proves that new zr1 will decimate all. i was kind of meh about the c7 stingray but this z06,
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
this only proves that new zr1 will decimate all. i was kind of meh about the c7 stingray but this z06,
GT-R's AWD and DCT is a hard combo to beat...
Old 01-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #34
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
No manual available? Not even paddles, just a straight automatic? No thanks.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #35

With ESC becoming federally mandated standard, it is just not economically viable to have manual transmission for low volume cars, since engineers need to collect a heck more data points to calibrate conditions and outcomes for each possible manual input (including stupid ones). With automatics, it is a simple model but with human input it is not that simple.

Chances are in the not so distant future, if you want manual, it will be an option that is couple thousands more than than DCT or automatic.

Besides from a warranty standpoint, you won't have customer claiming warranty for mis-shifting and blowing up tranny and/or engines anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
No manual available? Not even paddles, just a straight automatic? No thanks.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #36
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Chances are in the not so distant future, if you want manual, it will be an option that is couple thousands more than than DCT or automatic.

Besides from a warranty standpoint, you won't have customer claiming warranty for mis-shifting and blowing up tranny and/or engines anymore.
I completely agree. There are too many human error possibilities with a manual transmission so from a warranty standpoint alone it makes sense to focus more on "automatic" variations. No chance of mis-shifting, grinding or over-revving and the manufacturer/dealer can monitor transmission activity with the way technology is nowadays. Besides, the pure manual lovers are a dying breed as most of the people that are buying these cars would prefer auto anyway. Unfortunately it is that possibility of human error that makes driving manual so much fun IMO. Ten people could all drive the car different. And when your shifting is on point you just feel like you're in the zone!! As much as I like the fact that paddle shift allows the driver to keep their hands on the wheel at all times and shift times are faster than a human I still feel that the shifting/foot clutch action is necessary(and thrilling) and should always remain an option in the sports car world.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #37
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Mother of god, if this thing is priced under 100k...
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #38

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
The manual is standard, 8 speed auto is optional says Jalopnik (via Corvette forum and Hot Rod magazine).

At that horsepower rating an auto is probably a good idea (I imagine it's a pretty kick ass auto).
supafamous is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #39
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
With ESC becoming federally mandated standard, it is just not economically viable to have manual transmission for low volume cars, since engineers need to collect a heck more data points to calibrate conditions and outcomes for each possible manual input (including stupid ones). With automatics, it is a simple model but with human input it is not that simple.

Don't agree. Stability control systems work just as good with manual gearboxes as they do with automatics (torque converter type) or dual clutch gearboxes. BMW (for example) already takes into account possible driver errors (like dumping the clutch in a lower gear while cornering, which can cause the rear end to slip from excessive engine braking). And they've been doing this for a long time already (or, it's not rocket science).

Of all the data points being used for stability control, what gear you're in is way down the list. The most important sensors would be wheel speed, yaw rate and steering angle. In fact, a manual gearbox doesn't even need sensors for gear position - this can be calculated based on wheel speed vs engine RPM.

As to warranty, we don't see many issues with manual gearboxes. In fact, they have fewer issues than automatics or DCT. We get the occasional driver who burns out a clutch, but that's a wear item like brakes. The dealer isn't going to be replacing clutches under warranty after only 10K. Same goes for any other type of abuse.

Theoretically a DCT should be more reliable since human error is eliminated. However, a DCT is also far more complex which tends to make things pretty much even in the real world.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #40

It might work as well, but it comes down to time. Automatics modes are more finite and much easier to model with Simulink. $ speaks especially in this tight budget environment.. not to mention Simulink modelling works well when need to you add other things like KERS which is getting to be a "must have" feature of all high value cars.

Manual Transmissions Are Hideously Expensive Because Of Software

Quote:
To develop, test, homologate, and certify an MTX [manual transmission - Ed.] variant of a vehicle platform is very costly. Probably more costly than the borderline MTX enthusiast might be willing to pay. It's not just the hardware which can get costly for a well synthesized box - It's the software. Whether we like it or not, software drives modern day cars. Engine, Transmission, and ESP/ABS/TCS systems all run on software. Sure, the base software for the control systems can be carried over, but the calibration for these systems is not trivial by any means, and requires significant man-years of development and several prototype test properties in multiple environments to develop, test, and certify performance and safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Don't agree. Stability control systems work just as good with manual gearboxes as they do with automatics (torque converter type) or dual clutch gearboxes. BMW (for example) already takes into account possible driver errors (like dumping the clutch in a lower gear while cornering, which can cause the rear end to slip from excessive engine braking). And they've been doing this for a long time already (or, it's not rocket science).

Of all the data points being used for stability control, what gear you're in is way down the list. The most important sensors would be wheel speed, yaw rate and steering angle. In fact, a manual gearbox doesn't even need sensors for gear position - this can be calculated based on wheel speed vs engine RPM.

As to warranty, we don't see many issues with manual gearboxes. In fact, they have fewer issues than automatics or DCT. We get the occasional driver who burns out a clutch, but that's a wear item like brakes. The dealer isn't going to be replacing clutches under warranty after only 10K. Same goes for any other type of abuse.

Theoretically a DCT should be more reliable since human error is eliminated. However, a DCT is also far more complex which tends to make things pretty much even in the real world.

Last edited by godwin; 01-12-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #41
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Kinda relevant.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 AM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Many of my favorite cars are from that era. The E36 3 series, E39 M5, the NSX, R34 GT-R, F355, even the lowly Ford Probe still looks decent! I saw a lowered blue Probe with nice wheels the other day, looked pretty good. 911 Turbos around 95-97 also look great. They still have the old school flavour with modern touches, a perfect blend IMO.

Concept cars like the GT90 looked truly space-age. XJ220!

Call me crazy, but I would totally rock a Lotus Esprit. You can pick one up on Ebay for under 50k and I find them incredibly stylish. Like a late 80's Bond villain car.
1990s were the best era especially for Japanese cars.

Look.. as you can see, when you compare 1970s to 1990s, you can see how far they have gone within 20 years. Now look next 20 years, from 1990s to 2010s. Not much of progress is it?

20 years before 1990s (1970s)

1990s

20 years later (2010s)

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2014, 04:11 AM   #43
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
actually I think after 1990s it was all downhill for Jap cars.

If you compare 1980s to 1990s, you can see how Japanese cars improved in 10 years. But once you enter 2000s, it was shit.

This

Became this

This

Became this

This

Became this

This

Became this

This

Became this

This

Became this

This

Became this

This

Became this

Last edited by Timpo; 01-13-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:03 AM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

Great post Timpo.

You know, I hope the Need for Speed franchise can be turned around by them making the next game set in 1997 or something. That Celica GT-4 is so sexy, oh lawdy, sweet Jesus!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #45

ShaneN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #46
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Here's the C7.R.

The Corvette C7.R Is The Hardcore Le Mans-Storming Race Vette You Need

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #47

ShaneN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #48
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Damn. Anyone care to find out what the treadwear rating is on that tire?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #49
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
It might work as well, but it comes down to time. Automatics modes are more finite and much easier to model with Simulink. $ speaks especially in this tight budget environment.. not to mention Simulink modelling works well when need to you add other things like KERS which is getting to be a "must have" feature of all high value cars.

Manual Transmissions Are Hideously Expensive Because Of Software
Terrible source article to try and prove your point. First the guy talks about how engine calibrations have grown in complexity and then INFERS that ABS and related systems have also grown by the same amount. This is simply not true. That and his use of words like "probably" without any actual facts to back up his claim.

The amount of time required to perform an engine calibration is FAR greater than something like ABS. Emissions regulations not only vary from country to country, but they also change yearly. OEM's can face huge fines/penalties if they release a vehicle that doesn't meet regulations. Stability control/ABS doesn't have to be modified for target countries, other than some basic communication with the engine ECU.

Further, how an engine performs/behaves is far more important to the customer. Even the slightest hesitation when the throttle is pressed is something that will be noticed by the driver. The engine has to perform perfectly, all the time, in all weather conditions. This is what engineers spend their time on when doing engine calibrations. Tuning an engine to make good power is easy - making it run flawlessly is the hard part.

Nobody notices these things with ABS or stability control. They are the "oh shit" responses to an unsafe driving condition. Nobody complains "gee, my pedal vibrates too much when ABS kicks in" or "I hear funny noises when the traction control is working".

Taking BMW as an example, we routinely get software updates for DME's. Some are emission related, some are cold weather and others are for drivability. We also get updates for automatic transmissions (usually for shift quality/drivability). By comparison, I can't even recall ever seeing a software update for DSC (ABS) or another stability control related system. They are systems that never have issues and "just work" (save for a faulty sensor - but those have nothing to do with software).
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #50
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Z06 will have the 7 speed manual. But I wonder how the well the 8 speed is compared to a dual clutch
Posted via RS Mobile
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: