REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Sedation dentistry

Anyone recommend one or thoughts on it? For those with dental phobia lol... bad experiences as a kid. Haven't been able to eat properly due to tooth pain hoping they can give me a pill to chill me out

pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

??
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
My wife went for sedation dentistry to have her wisdom teeth removed. She was very fearful of the pain, and decided to go that route. Oral-concious sedation is supposed to be relaxing, but it can get quite confusing when you come out of it. When I went to pick up my wife, she was super groggy and out of it. She did mention that she was awake the whole time, and it upset her. They said it was due to the confusion of regaining conciousness and still being heavily drugged, though.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Dr Denzil Nair « Wisdom Teeth Extractions & Implant Dentistry

My gf has a needle phobia. Shes never had a cavity, but had her wsidom teeth done there. Very caring staff, as I was there threw the procedure.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
I think the OP is asking for regular sedation dentristry and not oral surgery. There's an office on North Road and Cameron (beside Good Life) which advertises this.

I've never done it, but I imagine that when you "wake up" you'll be some kind of groggy. I doubt you'll be able to drive right after having an appointment.

As someone who is surrounded by dental professionals (fiancee is a hygienist, 4 really good friends are dentists), I would suggest local freezing. There are 2 types- the needle-delivered one (regular local), and a gel that kills feeling very local (just the gumline) to make things more comfortable.

As someone who hated the dentist, I can tell you that things have changed for the better. You just need to find an office that provides gentle care. If you go in for an appointment, you can mention to your hygienist that you're trying to get over a dental phobia, and to try and be extra careful. They'll be more than happy to go easy on you for the first few appointments.

A couple of things though- the longer you go between cleanings, the harder they have to work (and the more uncomfortable the appointment becomes). So to make it easier on you, you should really try and go at least biannually so it's not just easier for your hygienist/dentist, but more pleasant for you.

Lastly, you need to get that tooth checked out asap. Any pain in the tooth is almost always decay, and depending on how long you've dealt with it, it can be very serious.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Langley Sedation Dentistry - 200nd & 72nd always go by this place..

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

PB....suck it up. Seriously, Dentistry has changed a lot. I hated the dentist too, but virtually no pain these days.

If you're scared tell'em to numb it REALLY good.

Pain in your tooth, sounds like a cavity. Heck, even a root canal is a piece of a cake these days - I felt virtually zero pain, just boredom since it's a timely procedure.

Anyways, don't want to scare you but if it's bad and is abcessed, you can actually die from it. No Joke. The more you think about it, the more you worry, the more it affects your normal life. Dentist prices are fairly standardized, just google a well-reviewed one near your house, call for an appointment

Hope you floss & brush properly (minimal pressure and controlled calm pace).
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #8

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
i had a wisdom tooth removed several years ago. i got the needle-delivered local freezing. its not bad at all. its the same pain as getting a flu shot. the numbing/freezing kicks in really fast. plus, they usually double check with you that you can't feel anything in the area before proceeding. and as subordinate has said, its just the waiting game for them to finish the procedure. i requested some pain killers from my dentist thinking i will be needing them, but nope.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
i just got mine removed at West Coast Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Center and it was fucken amazing. No pain what so ever. Slight discomfort but thats it. Dr Tony David did mine.

Address: 2755 Lougheed Hwy #230, Port Coquitlam, BC V3B 5Y9
Phone: (604) 464-6833

Dental Extrations, Dental Implants, Orthognathic, Cleft Palate and Facial Rejuvination - West Coast Oral Surgery
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:19 AM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
As a kid I hated the dentist but now it's no biggie. The most painful part is when they num you and that's not that bad. Just do it.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Got mine done @ West Coast Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Center in Yaletown. Took all 4 out @ once. Whole thing took about 1.5 hours. When I woke, for the first 30 mins or so I was somewhat groggy but was fine after. They wont let you drive or walk home so you'll have to arrange for a ride or cab. I lived 4 blocks away and they wouldn't let me walk home.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #12

Get an ativan from your doctor to calm you down and just see a regular dentist?