REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,330 Times in 5,645 Posts
Recommend me a strap

Don't really know much about the "easy/quick" straps but after walking around with the stock canon one I don't think it's gonna work too well for any extended trips or where I've got my camera on for extended periods of time

I'm not into carrying a seperate camera bag because almost all the time I've only got the one lense with me, if I'm going somewhere I know I'll be for a while I'll bring my gear bag but for travelling I'm opposed to that idea

So I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, basically under $100 would be nice but other than that just somthing comfortable/functional
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I normally use this: OP/TECH USA Super Classic Strap-Pro Loop (Black) 1001082 B&H

Pretty comfortable for my neck!

I also bought this if I want a shoulder sling strap to use

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling (Black) 3501242 B&H Photo Video
Old 01-15-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^I've had 2 and counting. Buckles have never failed. Super comfy, and very cheap!

POTN has it for a bit cheaper than ebay, and faster shipping in most cases. Get it there if you choose that one.

The Crumpler Industry Disgrace is good too, but more expensive for pretty much the same stuff as the op/tech. But no buckles, so people like that. There's also an Op/Tech with no buckles, if you're interested.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,298 Times in 2,510 Posts
I would look into both neck straps and sling straps, and see which design you like better.

As far as neck straps go, I've tried out a number of different straps over the years, but for some reason I keep coming back to the OP/TECH products. They are very well made, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their products to anyone.

Recently, I found myself liking the Carry Speed FS-Pro quite a bit:

General Accessories : Broadway Camera in Vancouver, Canada - Lowepro, Blackrapid, SanDisk, Kingston, Cameron, lens filters, memory cards, step up rings, cleaning goods, cables

CARRY SPEED FS PRO STRAP W/F-1,LOCKNUT PC96769

During Black Friday / Boxing Week sale, Broadway Camera was selling them for ~$60+tax. Nearly every aspect of the strap works very well, and in particular, their anchor plate + universal ball joint design feels significantly better designed and more sturdy than the anchor / lock nut from other sling straps. The only thing I didn't like was how the anchor would sometimes interfere with my left palm when I am holding the camera up for shooting.

Last edited by Traum; 01-15-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Blackrapid. Very comfy strap. And I love the sling feature on them.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
Blackrapid. Very comfy strap. And I love the sling feature on them.
There seem to be a few horror stories on POTN with them. My friends who use them haven't come across the attachment breaking, though.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,298 Times in 2,510 Posts
^^ This is one of the reasons why I like the Carry Speed sling strap so much. The socket-ball joint design is very sturdy and seems indestructible, especially when compared to the lock nuts, buckles, and stuff from other brands.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I use a BlackRapid RS Sport Slim L. It's not distributed in Canada so you need to get it from the States.

I used to have the Black Rapid Curve and it kept on slipping for me so I upgraded to the Sport. I could have gotten the Black Rapid BRAD too (under arm attachment) but I was doing a large order from the States at the same time so it made sense for me to go with the Black Rapid Sport.

When considering a strap, it's best if you can try it out and walk around with it to see how it'll fit with your photography style. It'll also influence what tripod system you go with as well.

Black Rapid only has support for the Manfrotto RC2 quick release but there are 3rd party plate options from various vendors that allow greater flexibility. I'm currently using Peak Design's Dual Plate which gives me compatibility with Manfrotto RC2 and Arca Swiss.
laqvrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #9

I forgot to mention- When I'm carrying the camera from location to location or if I'm in a bigger crowd, I use my optech as a sling. The grip on the "neck" side makes it a bit difficult to slide so that you can take shots. But it hasn't hindered me in anyway to use it as a sling from time to time.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Crumpler Industry Disgrace.

The best non-sling strap for DSLR that I have used. I have had OEMs, OP/Tech and other third parties before, I never looked back after the Crumpler.

If you are looking for something comfy and yet stylish, I'd recommend Artisan & Artist neckpad strap.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I will 2nd the Crumpler Industry Disgrace. For carrying the camera in 'lunchbox' this strap is hard to beat as the strap rests on your back and shoulders as opposed to your neck.

I used on my D90 but since I retired the D90 to backup it's strapless and I use a Carryspeed FS-Pro on my D800 and the accompanying accessory strap works great as a wrist strap on my Nex7 or I can carry the Nex7 and d800 together on the FS-Pro
CoLoRs Member #26
For Good or For Awesome?
Nismo200SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
^I've had 2 and counting. Buckles have never failed. Super comfy, and very cheap!

POTN has it for a bit cheaper than ebay, and faster shipping in most cases. Get it there if you choose that one.

The Crumpler Industry Disgrace is good too, but more expensive for pretty much the same stuff as the op/tech. But no buckles, so people like that. There's also an Op/Tech with no buckles, if you're interested.
is POTN

https://www.procameragear.com/

?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
Photography on the net
Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #14

ok but where there do i find the marketplace for the straps etc?

every time i click on a "shop" link it directs me to that pro camera gear site?
Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVitz View Post
I normally use this: OP/TECH USA Super Classic Strap-Pro Loop (Black) 1001082 B&H

Pretty comfortable for my neck!

I also bought this if I want a shoulder sling strap to use

OP/TECH USA Utility Strap-Sling (Black) 3501242 B&H Photo Video
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post

i bought the OP/TECH Strap-Bino 3/8 for my 5dmkiii after reading your posts. i have had for a few weeks now and i really like it, it's very comfortable.
sunny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #16
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

misread the title =S
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

...Glock 9 mil
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
ok but where there do i find the marketplace for the straps etc?

every time i click on a "shop" link it directs me to that pro camera gear site?
That's correct. Don't worry it's legit. Bought my last optech from there as it was a few bucks cheaper (and still free shipping) than ebay. I received the strap in about 2 weeks. Very quick.

Here's the directly link:

Pro Camera Gear

If you're wary about the buckles, you can navigate backwards and find the neoprene strap that has no buckles. Basically a cheaper Crumpler Industry Disgrace.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #19

yea ordered it last night and shipped out today!

total with taxes in was like $22, amazing compared to some of the other sites where the same strap after shipping and duty was like 45
Old 02-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #20

^Yeah it's crazy- even on ebay after shipping it was north of 30. I was definitely skeptical about the POTN store, but took the plunge and now I go there for my straps lol