REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Suggest interenet service company

Hi, I need to install interent for my rental suite. It is in a guest house so i am unable to share my current Shaw cable internet due to distance. I also dont know how to run coaxial or RJ wire to that house.

I have tried powerline (sucks, too weak for surfing), I have tried wireless extenders ( weak signal strength) . I need something good enough for youtube or even netflix or at least decent surfing and not take 3 mins to load a google home page.

Shaw wants me to get a separate account and charge me 29.95 for 6 month, then bump to $55. This is horrible because I am already paying $60 for the 20MB speed one on my main house.

Any suggestions on this? Any promotion from Rogers, or Telus or any other interent provider?
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Run an ethernet cable to the guest house. If you can't do it yourself, then pay someone to do it. It'll be cheaper than shelling out for another connection.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
As Presto said, get someone to lay down some good CAT and you should be good to go.

The cost might be slightly higher at the beginning, but at the rate ISPs are robbing us, it should make up the difference in no time.

On an alternative route, you could get a good set of outdoor WiFi repeater. Amped makes one (up to 1.5miles in open field) and I have heard many great words about it. Might be worth it to look into it.

The sorta nice thing about Amped setup is that it actually creates a new Wifi network that piggyback onto your current WiFi setup. It might make sense given you'd be sharing the internet access to your renter, but not actually sharing the network access.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Well, you'll want a second router regardless of running wifi or ethernet, unless your current router supports guest mode.

Other than that, I agree with the above, either get a repeater/another access point, or just get someone to install the ethernet cable for you.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Run Ethernet or power line 1/2 way to the location then attach a wireless router. I have a 30 plus year old 30 unit apartment building. The internet is on one side so I ran power line to the middle of the building and then attached a wireless router.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Other than that, I agree with the above, either get a repeater/another access point, or just get someone to install the ethernet cable for you.
we did that on a construction site once where the incoming service was about 100' away. we didn't have any issues unless a dump truck parked in between us and the source

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Run an ethernet cable to the guest house. If you can't do it yourself, then pay someone to do it. It'll be cheaper than shelling out for another connection.
Where do i find a person to run the ethernet cable for me? Any referrals or types of worker i need to contact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
The sorta nice thing about Amped setup is that it actually creates a new Wifi network that piggyback onto your current WiFi setup. It might make sense given you'd be sharing the internet access to your renter, but not actually sharing the network access.
Which Wifi repeater is good? let me know if i am missing a step:
1) powerline to corner closest to the Guest house.
2) Repeater connection to Powerline
3) ???? Do I need another repeater in the Guest house? or whats the next step.

P.S . I bought 2 Asus wireless repeaters with 3 antenna 6 month ago, and was unable to get steady signal. So i returned them. They advertise " high power" repeater..... I definitely need a better repeater this time.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:54 PM   #8

Whats your house layout like? Where is your cable modem located and how far is the guest from your house?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Whats your house layout like? Where is your cable modem located and how far is the guest from your house?
Cable modem is at the front end of the house. Guest house is at the back, separated by a smaller backyard, ~ 20 ft length backyard?
I dont know how far from front living room to back door length though ( pretty standard length house)
Old 01-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabisashimi View Post
Where do i find a person to run the ethernet cable for me? Any referrals or types of worker i need to contact?

Which Wifi repeater is good? let me know if i am missing a step:
1) powerline to corner closest to the Guest house.
2) Repeater connection to Powerline
3) ???? Do I need another repeater in the Guest house? or whats the next step.

P.S . I bought 2 Asus wireless repeaters with 3 antenna 6 month ago, and was unable to get steady signal. So i returned them. They advertise " high power" repeater..... I definitely need a better repeater this time.
A setup I have seen is basically put the amped repeater outside of building 1 (line of sight), amped ap just outside of building 2, and the people in building 2 just connect to the ap.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #11

Take your wireless router and more it to the back of the house and plug it in. See what type of signal strength. It the signal strength is strong run POE to the back of your house and connect it to a wireless router.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Take your wireless router and more it to the back of the house and plug it in. See what type of signal strength. It the signal strength is strong run POE to the back of your house and connect it to a wireless router.
Wireless signal is weak at the back of my house.

I bought a powerline adapter, so I can have wired connection at the back of the house.

Do I need to buy 2 of these? http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=72976

One to hook up in the back of my house and the other one to put in Guest house? It is pretty pricy, $240 for 2.

Or do I need one of this http://products.ncix.com/detail/ampe...72973-1394.htm in the back of my house, and one of the Repeater in the Guest house. I am so confused sorry.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Powerline.. 1 goes into the modem, the other to your router (unless you buy the wifi version) and of course, both needs to be plugged into the power outlet
Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Ideally if you are to run cat5/6e to the geust house it should be done inside a buried pipe or else it will go bad from exposure.

There is zero connections from the main house to the guest?

Its not worth the cost to get another service installed imo running the wire will be a higher inital cost but will resolve any other headaches in the future when it comes to providing service there.

Distance is your biggest issue here, with the current location of the modem you have little chance of providing solid service to the guest house with repeater or extenders in my opinion. You could always wire a cat5e to a backroom than run an extender from there to get service tho I doubt
how good it will be unless you buy some really nice gear. Apples new ac wireless router is amazing for strenght and distance but cost a shit ton

Horizons is a cabling company tho I have seen pretty mix work from them so it will depend on the actually installer.
Posted via RS Mobile
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
in your setup i would suggest powerline/cable to the back of your house. then use a AMPED wireless AP. this should do the trick.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #16
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Just make sure if youre running underground, use conduit, and leave a pullstring, and run 2 spare lines. You dont have to connect the spare lines but just in case.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
in your setup i would suggest powerline/cable to the back of your house. then use a AMPED wireless AP. this should do the trick.
Hi, do u recommend 1repeater at the back of house? Or do I need another one in the guest house to broadcast the signal.
Posted via RS Mobile
wasabisashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #18

Grab this kit. http://products.ncix.com/detail/d-li...89066-1448.htm
Old 01-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
I have that already, but it doesn't work in guest house. It's too far or perhaps on a separate power panel system. So it is used as you said before to extend internet to the back corner of my main house.
Posted via RS Mobile
wasabisashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
^thats right, plug the other end as far back in the house as you can. Then hook up a wireless AP to it. You should be able to get a wireless signal from the guest house. Just make sure you don't use repeaters anywhere as they suck
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #21

Quote:
^thats right, plug the other end as far back in the house as you can. Then hook up a wireless AP to it. You should be able to get a wireless signal from the guest house. Just make sure you don't use repeaters anywhere as they suck
This!!!

Do not plug it in your guest house plug it in at the back of your house closest to the guest house.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #22
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

get a cheap wireless USB
and a really long USB cable
usb cable maxed out at 5 meters.get a USB hub to extend to more than 5 meters.

tell the guest to use that USB to their laptop or desktop.

should be less than $50 at the end.
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #23
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
why not just tell shaw to install an outlet at laneway house. i presume that's what it is. just tell them that family lives there. once the outlet is installed just buy a cheap modem from craigs and activate it. i believe shaw gives you 2 ip's. should work.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #24
Got MOD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valent|n0 View Post
get a cheap wireless USB
and a really long USB cable
usb cable maxed out at 5 meters.get a USB hub to extend to more than 5 meters.

tell the guest to use that USB to their laptop or desktop.

should be less than $50 at the end.
Honestly that's a horrible suggestion.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #25

Quote:
So I don't need a repeater after all, just an AMPed high power wifi router?