REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Three year old died on her first day of nursery =( (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692038-three-year-old-died-her-first-day-nursery-%3D.html)

PeanutButter 01-17-2014 09:16 AM

Three year old died on her first day of nursery =(

BBC News - Lydia Bishop died on first day at nursery

Quote:

A toddler died on her first day at nursery school when she was left to play alone on a slide known to be dangerous, a court heard yesterday.
Lydia Bishop became entangled in a ‘loop’ at the top of the slide. It tightened around her neck and choked her as she slid down.
No children were allowed to be in the play area alone, but it was 20 minutes before the three-year-old was found by a member of staff.

She was ‘blue’ and not breathing and efforts to revive her failed, Leeds Crown Court was told. Lydia died just five hours after being dropped off by her parents at the nursery at York College.

Prosecutor Robert Smith, QC, told the jury there was a ‘tick-box mentality’ at the nursery, with staff focusing on ‘excellent’ paperwork rather than ensuring safety rules were adhered to.

He added: ‘Compliance with health and safety law was done on paper but not in practice.’

Sophee Redhead, 25, was one of the nursery staff supervising Lydia and saw her walk in the direction of the slide, but did nothing to stop or supervise her, it was alleged.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...79_306x423.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...02_634x864.jpg

Acura604 01-17-2014 09:21 AM

being a Dad with a super cute 5yr old, these stories really make me teary and make me question... 'if there is a God, why allow stuff like this to happen?...throw down some miracles'

wouwou 01-17-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8401194)
being a Dad with a super cute 5yr old, these stories really make me teary and make me question... 'if there is a God, why allow stuff like this to happen?...throw down some miracles'

+1

Damn those ninja chopping onions.

zx7rrrr 01-17-2014 09:37 AM

Sad. I have a 2 year girl myself. This break s my heart. God works in mysterious ways.
Posted via RS Mobile

cruz-in 01-17-2014 09:48 AM

i cant even imagine what the Parents feel right now.

:okay:

BBMme 01-17-2014 09:56 AM

Very sad.
Posted via RS Mobile

lowside67 01-17-2014 10:07 AM

What a shame. Seems unbelievable that they would leave a 3 year old alone for that long...

Also, unrelated but I am amazed that the employee was "Sophee Redhead" and the mother was "Rebecca Dick"?

Gumby 01-17-2014 10:20 AM

:tears:

What the fuck is a loop of rope doing on playground equipment?!

Edit: Roll call for RS parents!

Father of a 5.75 year old, and a -3 month old (i.e. wife is expecting).

GLOW 01-17-2014 10:25 AM

that's what i'm thinking and can't figure out. no idea why the rope is there

seakrait 01-17-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 8401221)

Exactly! How that was not seen as a potential threat to safety I'm not sure. It'd be exactly like a gallows. Kid is at top of slide with loop around neck. Kid's feet slips on the slide and she falls down the slide. Then...:tears:

I have a kid myself and though I pretty much let her explore things on her own, I'm still very cognizant of the potential danger of the environment around her. That loop of rope at the top of the slide is a horrible idea if it's part of the play equipment.

freakshow 01-17-2014 10:47 AM

wow.. that rope was just an accident waiting to happen..

thumper 01-17-2014 10:55 AM

the part that gets me "left to play alone on a slide known to be dangerous"...

so basically, everyone knew this thing is trouble, but no one did anything about it.

quasi 01-17-2014 11:02 AM

Absolutely terrible, if anything ever happened to my son it would destroy me with no chance of return.

MG1 01-17-2014 11:04 AM

A bit off topic, but imagine what those parents would feel like if day care was an option, because they could actually afford to have one of them stay home to look after their daughter.

A lot of people don't have a choice, so placing their precious ones in a proper, well run facility is a must. Accidents happen and this was a case of pure tragedy.

I made the decision to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost wages, but my three kids are alive and safe today, because my wife was there for them 24/7. Money you can replace. A loved one, no.

Rest in peace, little girl. To the parents, I wish them the strength to get through this tough loss. Parents should never have to bury their children.

akira112 01-17-2014 11:09 AM

15 months ago I wouldn't bat an eye at this story. But now with my daughter I feel crushed reading this. RIP

zilley 01-17-2014 11:12 AM

Why the fuck is there even a rope there.

Very Sad.

RIP.

white rocket 01-17-2014 11:19 AM

MG1, very well said. Truly a heartbreaker :tears:

Recon604 01-17-2014 11:22 AM

known to be dangerous, but didnt do nothing about it. Now it caught up to them, sadly it had to be a death.

duc_evo_sp 01-17-2014 11:36 AM

WHY IS THERE ROPE NEAR THE SLIDE!!!! Any common sense in this nursery has gone out the window.

HonestTea 01-17-2014 01:08 PM

I dunno why the hell theirs a rope on the top of the slide in the first place..

MarkyMark 01-17-2014 01:09 PM

Put a noose at the top of the slide that makes sense.

Sad story
Posted via RS Mobile

gilly 01-17-2014 01:47 PM

rip

very sad

Alby 01-17-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 8401221)

Edit: Roll call for RS parents!

Father of a 5.75 year old, and a -3 month old (i.e. wife is expecting).

Father of a 14 month

quasi 01-17-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8401240)
A bit off topic, but imagine what those parents would feel like if day care was an option, because they could actually afford to have one of them stay home to look after their daughter.

A lot of people don't have a choice, so placing their precious ones in a proper, well run facility is a must. Accidents happen and this was a case of pure tragedy.

I made the decision to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost wages, but my three kids are alive and safe today, because my wife was there for them 24/7. Money you can replace. A loved one, no.

Rest in peace, little girl. To the parents, I wish them the strength to get through this tough loss. Parents should never have to bury their children.

Mine has been in daycare since his 1st birthday, he's in grade two now. My niece who I had custody of for a year was the same. It's not an option for us, we both have to work. All you can do is do your due diligence and investigate the place that will be looking after your kids. This doesn't mean nothing will happen but it's all you can do. My son has been around some really good people, it's helped him advance in learning as well. He's always been ahead of the curve on Speech, reading and writing I attribute a lot of that to daycare.

Mine is older now so I don't worry as much but when they are young and can't speak for themselves it's scary trusting someone with your baby. I've spent around $70,000 of my net income on daycare in the last 7 years, I have gotten a little bit of that back in tax write offs but it isn't cheap. Those of you lucky enough to have family look after your kids think of all the money your saving because it's a lot.

SkinnyPupp 01-17-2014 03:28 PM

Shows what can happen when companies spend more time making sure their paperwork is good looking, rather than actually being effective.