REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 01-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Nokia Lumia 520 vs. Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini

My parents are upgrading their old, old, old Nokia flip phone (from 2005) as the screen backlighting died and Rogers is offering one of these phones as a free upgrade.

They live out in the boonies and their local Rogers store doesn't have either in stock, so they asked me which one they should get. I have no experience with either phone, but have used higher-end versions of both (the regular S3 and the Lumia 920) and I personally like the Nokia better of those two.

They won't have a data plan, don't text, and will essentially just use it to call, maybe take a few photos (My mom likes to take photos of price tags when she's shopping around), and use Skype and e-mail over WiFi when they go to the US. Really basic stuff.

Their priorities are ease of use, durability, and battery life. My mom would also like to swap SIMs for when they go to the US and the Nokia appears to have a MicroSIM slot, which is a plus I think.

Does anyone have any experience with either (or preferably both) of these phones that could maybe provide a bit more insight?
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
the Lumias are really easy for adults to adapt to like really easy
and its got the sensitive screen so if they ever wear gloves they can still operate the phone

and the os should be a lot slicker/less laggy than the s3 mini given that the OS/ui is pretty barebones

no experience with the s3 in particular

if they like apps though they'll likely prefer Android
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,176 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
the Lumias are really easy for adults to adapt to like really easy
and its got the sensitive screen so if they ever wear gloves they can still operate the phone

and the os should be a lot slicker/less laggy than the s3 mini given that the OS/ui is pretty barebones

no experience with the s3 in particular

if they like apps though they'll likely prefer Android
As someone who owns recently mid-range Android devices and a Lumia 920, this is what I have to say
  • The Samsung device lags a whole lot more, even on Android 4.4
  • All apps that were previously missing, we now have on WP8 (e.g. Instagram, Snapchat, Vine, Tinder, etc)
  • With regards to ease of use, I feel like WP8 is much better put together than Android, which is sometimes confusing/frustrating even for someone who knows how to root their phone
  • Both my father and mother were able to pick up WP easily, while the father struggled with Android to the point where he slammed the phone onto the table while eating Pineapple Bun at Lido
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #4

They're both 60, so any apps will be limited to basic things like solitaire.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
Both my father and mother were able to pick up WP easily, while the father struggled with Android to the point where he slammed the phone onto the table while eating Pineapple Bun at Lido
Like a boss. Guy doesn't fuck around.

Thanked for the Lolz.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Used WP since 7.0 and have a TF101 since jellybean, used a S4 for a few months when my 920 crapped out and I was too lazy to warranty. I actually wanted to break the S4 in half since it was acting retarded so I'm not too fond of android on cell phones .

WP apps open like a brochure so its easier to comprehend. Skype + WP = shitty battery life so plug in while skyping. Sending a photo to people is definitely easier via WP - view photo>share>email = photo attached in outlook/gmail. Nokia drive+ is a plus, its a pretty damm good navigation app, nokia maps are life savers when traveling.

Just watch out for rogers phone as they recently allowed marketplace to charge your rogers account for app purchases.

Are you signing the 520 as contract?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #7

No contract, month-to-month voice only
Old 01-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Nokia all the way. S3 mini is too old with all the bloatware Samsung installed on the phone it will be laggy as hell.

WP8 is pretty easy to use. I play around with my co-workers WP8 and is pretty easy to know where everything is. While with JB it takes a while, not to mention each manfacture put their own custom skin ontop.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Recently got my gf's dad a S3 mini last week. It is slow. But I guess this is expected cuz the specs aren't too good. Its very light though!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #10

Thanks guys, it made their decision easy