REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 01-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Waterless Coolant?

I was watching that Wheeler Dealers show one Saturday morning, and they talked about this waterless coolant product:

Evans Cooling Canada

Benefits:
- 180°C Boiling point
- Because of high boiling point, cooling system runs unpressurized
- Eliminates cooling system corrosion

Cons:
- Expensive ($60/gallon)
- Can't add any water (unless in emergency)

I always wondered if something like this exists, and now I know that it does. I've noticed from looking at inboard boat engines, since they run unpressurized (cooled with straight sea/lake water) the rubber hoses stay in great shape.

I'm thinking about running this stuff in my Mazda and Mustang. Does anyone here have any experience with this stuff?
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
No experience with it, but this almost reminds me of Redline's Water Wetter.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

personally i wouldn't bother. As long as you change your coolant somewhat regularly, coolant itself won't "fail". The only time coolant would fail is its missing. (leak)
And if this stuff really is that good and is the only thing from keeping your engine from overheating, then its likely compensating for something else thats gone wrong in the cooling system.
And if for whatever reason your engine is getting anywhere near 180C, its great this stuff won't boil over but the fact that the engine is up at those temps, the gauge will still be in the red zone and damage can still occur.
Hose won't get brittle and leak becuase of coolant. It will brittle because of age.
Oil dripping and soaking hoses will swell and soften over time.
$60 a gallon is nuts. Just make sure the rest of the cooling system is up to par.

Then again, maybe this stuff would be good in boat engines. I have no experience with boats
Old 01-28-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck View Post
personally i wouldn't bother. As long as you change your coolant somewhat regularly, coolant itself won't "fail". The only time coolant would fail is its missing. (leak)
And if this stuff really is that good and is the only thing from keeping your engine from overheating, then its likely compensating for something else thats gone wrong in the cooling system.
And if for whatever reason your engine is getting anywhere near 180C, its great this stuff won't boil over but the fact that the engine is up at those temps, the gauge will still be in the red zone and damage can still occur.
Hose won't get brittle and leak becuase of coolant. It will brittle because of age.
Oil dripping and soaking hoses will swell and soften over time.
$60 a gallon is nuts. Just make sure the rest of the cooling system is up to par.

Then again, maybe this stuff would be good in boat engines. I have no experience with boats
What you have said is all incorrect. That stuff is great, my dad has swapped it into his 5.0. Water causes corrosion. The heating and cooling of the water causes expansion, which causes hoses to break down. Also, you no longer need a coolant overflow, as you do not get the same thermal expansion you do with glycol/water. As long as nothing contaminates the Evans coolant, you should never need to change it. Should also let your cooling system run MUCH better, having far less issues with water pumps, heater cores, etc. This stuff is even mentioned in the text books for on and off-road diesel engine mechanics. Its going to become more and more common. Absolutely requires a complete flush of your cooling system to change it over though. I believe you can't have more then 4% water in the system.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
No experience with it, but this almost reminds me of Redline's Water Wetter.
Redline water wetter is more like a lubricant for the water pump so you can run straight water without it causing the metal to break down.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

i'm such a skeptic. I've seen so many products over the years and when i seen that video it looked like such an infomercial.
I'm not so much doubting all its benefits but more whether its necessary.
If it runs at such a low pressure, where a reservoir isn't needed, i'm not so sure if thats a good thing. I always figured pressure is needed to maintain good coolant contact to the cylinder walls and other hot parts to take away the heat and also to have good coolant flow.

Just wondering, when your dad swapped it into his 5.0, was he having cooling problems or just as a maintenance thing?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
I always figured pressure is needed to maintain good coolant contact to the cylinder walls and other hot parts to take away the heat and also to have good coolant flow.
No. Vehicle cooling systems are pressurized to raise the boiling point of the coolant/water. At 15psi (typical of cars), the boiling point of water is roughly 125°C.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_point
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
No. Vehicle cooling systems are pressurized to raise the boiling point of the coolant/water. At 15psi (typical of cars), the boiling point of water is roughly 125°C.

Read: Boiling point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
yes, thats the obvious answer.
I had a look throgh some of my old text books, where i thought i read pressure would help flow and coolant contacting etc. Couldn't find any of that. So disregard my last post
Old 01-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
In order for this product to work as designed, I take it you would have to be very meticulous in removing/draining/flushing the old coolant in order not to contaminate this stuff. This is also assuming you have no head gasket problems etc.

Correct or no?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
In order for this product to work as designed, I take it you would have to be very meticulous in removing/draining/flushing the old coolant in order not to contaminate this stuff. This is also assuming you have no head gasket problems etc.

Correct or no?
Yes, on their website it states how much water you can have in the system, I havent checked but I am pretty sure its around 4%.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
i'm such a skeptic. I've seen so many products over the years and when i seen that video it looked like such an infomercial.
I'm not so much doubting all its benefits but more whether its necessary.
If it runs at such a low pressure, where a reservoir isn't needed, i'm not so sure if thats a good thing. I always figured pressure is needed to maintain good coolant contact to the cylinder walls and other hot parts to take away the heat and also to have good coolant flow.

Just wondering, when your dad swapped it into his 5.0, was he having cooling problems or just as a maintenance thing?
Just an upgrade. Ability to remove overflow to clean up engine bay, and keeping hoses in good condition. Evans Waterless is making a big name for itself in the trucking industry.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS

did anyone tried it for long time with good result other than iceman's dad's 5.0's cooling system
aalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Yes, the trucking industry. This isn't brand new.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I thought its for passenger cars
aalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
A lot of technology from racing and commercial industries make their way down to passenger cars.

IMO, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can see how it'd be of benefit for race cars and HD equipment though.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:17 AM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalex View Post
I thought its for passenger cars