REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Exhaust sound (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692423-exhaust-sound.html)

rriggi 01-30-2014 07:19 PM

Exhaust sound

Few days ago, a friend of mine was driving his 2014 Boxster and he was pulled over and issued a Box 2 for loud exhaust. The car is totally stock and has not been modified in anyway shape or form, it is fitted with the factory sport exhaust option.

After obtaining a letter from Porsche Vancouver stating the exhaust system is stock and not altered he went back to the police station and was told 2 things. The police have discretion to issue box 2 notice and order if a car requires repair, and that Porsche is not a designated inspection facility so what they say does not matter. He spoke the superior officer who apparently spoke to the constable, who still refused to let the ticket go.

After some going back and forth and not wanting to have to pay for an inspection he went and finally had it done. Car passed, and a note was made on the inspection that the vehicle is well within allowable limits.

2 days later, he's been stopped by the same detachment and received another box 2 for loud exhaust. What action can he take? Can he dispute a N&O?

Brianrietta 01-30-2014 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rriggi (Post 8408677)
What action can he take?

He could start with stopping revving like a dbag in front of cop cars? :derp:

source: someone with years of experience driving way louder cars with definitely illegal exhausts sans VI

meme405 01-30-2014 09:06 PM

I don't know what you're buddy is doing to attract this much attention but this scenario as you have explained it seems far-fetched at best...

Many members including myself have VERY loud aftermarket exhausts on our vehicles and we have absolutely no problems. There must be something your friend is doing, or has done previously to make the police act like this...

rriggi 01-30-2014 09:46 PM

Im sort of thinking that might be the case, even my own car is much louder than his and I don't understand why he's gotten two VI's. He says that he was driving in traffic with the cop behind him and the sport exhaust turned on but I still have a hard time understanding why this all happened.

Even if he was making more noise that he should be, shouldn't a Excessive Noise violation be issued? Not multiple VI's ?

Rich Sandor 01-30-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rriggi (Post 8408677)
...and that Porsche is not a designated inspection facility so what they say does not matter....

That's plain wrong. Porsche Vancouver will have a provincial inspection certificate. All large dealerships do.

That said, the OEM Sport exhaust option on 997's and 987's makes a god awful gurgling sound when you pop off the gas pedal suddenly. It's supposed to sound "racey" but in reality is sounds like the car is quietly backfiring. (which is actually what race cars do when you suddenly let off the gas - unburnt fuel goes into the hot exhaust and you get flames out the back..)

But I can understand that your average police officer would not understand or believe this is normal for a Porsche.

However, I think it's more likely your friend was driving like a fool and this was the only resort the officer could come up with.

I'm not saying it's OK for cops to do that.. but life isn't fair. N&O's can't be disputed.

Quote:

2 days later, he's been stopped by the same detachment and received another box 2 for loud exhaust. What action can he take? Can he dispute a N&O?
Talk to lawyer. Sounds like borderline harassment.

Or your friend was driving a jerk again. (He probably left that part out of his story)

Cops are pretty reasonable for the most part. There has got to be more to the story.

rriggi 01-30-2014 11:27 PM

Anyways the latest update I have is that the inspector is going to be calling the police station to have a word with the officer about this.

I'm sure there's alot being left out from him, I just thought I should get RS input on it. I don't know why he had it turned on when there's a cop BEHIND him, I'd honestly love to have a button to magically put my resonators and cats back in for moments like that.

Another thing I did notice is that Porsche actually doesn't appear on the list of approved shops for inspection? Kind of odd considering every other dealer appears on there.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...s/PDF/DIFs.pdf

Rich Sandor 01-31-2014 01:05 AM

Well, Porsche Vancouver did recently change ownership from MCL to Dilwari, and JUST finished moving into the new location this month. That list is dated from October. I'm sure they have a valid certificate, and will be back on the list shortly.

zulutango 01-31-2014 05:10 AM

Also Police may believe that the dealership that sold the car to the driver may have a vested interest in having it pass an inspection. I am aware of at least 3 dealerships where defective inspections were repeatedly done on customers vehicles to get them around a proper VI. I stopped the vehicles and issued them and then stopped them after passing an inspection with the cars & motorcycles still having the same defects. For example, one place in particular passed an inspection on a small lowered pickup truck where the exhaust pipes ended under the cab of the truck..one small cherrybomb muffler each side, cat removed and no tail pipes. A motorcycle had straight pipes, no front fender, no front or rear turn signals and an open primary chain case. It had been built and inspected by the shop that sold it.

Phil@rise 01-31-2014 09:27 AM

Not all cops are car savvy that being said not all cops should be allowed to hand out VI's.

mb_ 01-31-2014 05:06 PM

Sounds like the VI I got for "fog lights are daytime running lights" lol. Still not quite settled even after a month.

Also, MCL is owned by Dilawri. They just moved their Porsche location because they outgrew their old building which is now Infiniti :)
Posted via RS Mobile

sebberry 02-01-2014 11:29 AM

Vehicle Inspections: Just because the MVA doesn't have a section for douchebaggery, doesn't mean you can't write a ticket for it.

zulutango 02-01-2014 04:16 PM

Some may say that you may inspire someone to invent one......:accepted::devil: