REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Coca Cola Superbowl Commercial - Not American Controversy (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692541-coca-cola-superbowl-commercial-not-american-controversy.html)

PeanutButter 02-04-2014 01:07 PM

Coca Cola Superbowl Commercial - Not American Controversy

Quote:

During the SuperBowl, the Coca-Cola Company aired a commercial to promote their brand as every other mega corporation who has a few million dollars to blow on a 30 to 60 seconds of television airtime. It was a nice commercial titled “It’s Beautiful” in which American people did American things while the song “America the Beautiful” was sung in the background.
You can watch the commercial here:

Twitter went nuts over this...

https://31.media.tumblr.com/b24dbb35...Y2Z1qawfnh.png
https://31.media.tumblr.com/b1d65dfb...OvF1qawfnh.png

More twitter reactions here;
Public Shaming - Speak English!: Racist Revolt As Coca-Cola Airs Multilingual ?America the Beautiful? SuperBowl Ad

originalhypa 02-04-2014 01:30 PM

I thought it was a good commercial. Looks kind of Canadian to me.
That's a good thing. Especially for the US right now.

SkinnyPupp 02-04-2014 02:39 PM

As soon as I saw the commercial I knew this would happen. Same for the Cheerios commercial with the inter-racial family

America is a great country with great people, like any other country. But there are a lot of people who are fucking fucked up. Like any other country. The difference is, a lot of these people have a 'voice' now thanks to social media.

GLOW 02-04-2014 02:54 PM

i love the tweets that start with "i'm not racist but..." or end with "i'll probably be called a racist for that even though i'm not"

miss kansas 2013 - they called it the classic “non-apology apology” :lawl:
https://31.media.tumblr.com/422d7e71...p7O1qawfnh.png

CharlesInCharge 02-04-2014 03:07 PM

The U.S. has directly and indirectly invaded so many countries that singing this song outside of the U.S. would brand you as a traitor.

Iran
http://blog.ricksteves.com/wp-conten.../iran_0028.jpg

320icar 02-04-2014 03:15 PM

Wow. Fucking Americans...
Posted via RS Mobile

yray 02-04-2014 03:37 PM

Sing America the beautiful in spanish :troll:

sounds better than english

Hondaracer 02-04-2014 03:51 PM

I don't think you have to look past the Super Bowl itself to see what america represents. It's kind of sickening to be honest

It's one thing to honor vets etc but the way the armed forces are like intertwined into the whole Super Bowl production to the point where you're just singling out random servicemen in the crowd?

:S

It always feels so over the top "American" it's laughable watching from the outside
Posted via RS Mobile

Bouncing Bettys 02-04-2014 04:54 PM

In the minds of American, aren't people from all over the world supposed to aspire to come to America because it's "the greatest nation on eart"h? Are they not aware that these people come from different cultures and speak different languages?

jackmeister 02-04-2014 04:59 PM

I thought I was watching the American version of Canada Day celebrations, in the pre-game show.

MarkyMark 02-04-2014 05:08 PM

Lol at the people who say they won't drink coke anymore. Your fat ass sugar addiction far outweighs any kind of moral stance you'll probably forget about by next week.
Posted via RS Mobile

bloodmack 02-04-2014 05:10 PM

if you think about it.. maybe now they'll have less fat asses cause they'll stop drinking coke now.

PiuYi 02-04-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8411186)
As soon as I saw the commercial I knew this would happen. Same for the Cheerios commercial with the inter-racial family

America is a great country with great people, like any other country. But there are a lot of people who are fucking fucked up. Like any other country. The difference is, a lot of these people have a 'voice' now thanks to social media.

this

one of many negatives of social media is it gives the ignorant as loud a voice (if not louder) as the intelligent

Vale46Rossi 02-04-2014 05:54 PM

It's funny how people think it's racist to American's if this song is not sang in English, but if you think about it... They are racist for thinking this song is racist.

bballguy 02-04-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenDuang (Post 8411333)
It's funny how people think it's racist to American's if this song is not sang in English, but if you think about it... They are racist for thinking this song is racist.

ORLY?

Soundy 02-04-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

http://0.tqn.com/h/humor/1/H/m/M/-/-/Wat.jpg

Yodamaster 02-04-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

You can't be racist against a proper noun.

Most of what you are seeing is racism coming from areas of the United States that are closely associated with racism, and within those areas, most people who are complaining are white.

A large percentage of Americans can be identified as being heavily nationalist, though that does not really mean anything in relation to this story until you round up the racist nationalists. Racist nationalists are the ones who you hear saying that the ad was anti-American, they believe that english is the only language that should ever represent America in any sort of public convention or media showcase because they are racists.

While I do believe that learning the official language of a country is important if you are to become a citizen of that country, I do not believe that simply singing a song related to that country in another language is offensive.

vafanculo 02-04-2014 10:21 PM

In Canada, this commercial would be welcomed..this just shows Americans don't want to embrace multiculturalism. If anything, they should be proud they are, for lack of a better word, "converting", people of different cultures, to Americans.

Thinking of Richmond, ie the lady who got mad for not being able to order a drink in Mandarin, this reaction from the Americans is a countries version of "first world problems".

Just ass backwards.
Posted via RS Mobile

stewie 02-04-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 8411422)
While I do believe that learning the official language of a country is important if you are to become a citizen of that country, I do not believe that simply singing a song related to that country in another language is offensive.

Learning the official language of a country is important.

America however has no official language.
English is just the most predominant language.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworl..._languages.htm

GS8 02-04-2014 11:35 PM

I didn't hear any Native American languages such as Algic or Siouan. That would've made some sense, you think?

Twitter is a free pass for many to showcase their retardation.

mb_ 02-04-2014 11:43 PM

Controversy? Nothing controversial about that if you ask me. Just a handful of ignorant idiots causing a stir over nothing.
Posted via RS Mobile

ShadowBun 02-04-2014 11:51 PM

Haters gonna hate

Harvey Specter 02-04-2014 11:57 PM

Some Americans are truly the dumbest folk on this planet. Their government is in absolute shambles, the economy continues to shrink and they have a out of control issue with guns and violence but I don't see people going ape shit over any of these issues but it's headline news with people losing their minds threatening to never drink Coke or eat cereal because they have a mixed kid in a cereal ad or god forbid have minorities sing a song which btw was written by a lesbian feminist who defected the republican party because she was discriminated against, talk about the irony eh.

Wait until some of these idiots find out that the "minorities" they're talking shit about will be the majority within the next 30 years.

StylinRed 02-05-2014 04:49 AM

so some unknown blog is trying to make a story out of a handful of twitter msgs? :seriously:

falcon 02-05-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8411186)

People have always been this racist. The problem is with Twitter, it gives a medium to have a voice. A voice no one should have ever heard.