REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Building a new house - tips

Hi everyone,

my family is planning to knock down our old house in vancouver. I just want to see if anyone here had the experience of doing the same thing?

Where did you guys get your drawings? Is it one of those cookie cutters type houses?

Any contractors you would recommend?

Thanks
Advertisement
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Hi everyone,

my family is planning to knock down our old house in vancouver. I just want to see if anyone here had the experience of doing the same thing?

Where did you guys get your drawings? Is it one of those cookie cutters type houses?

Thanks
I would recommend to use MetroVan Custom Homes
Metro Van Custom Homes | Just another WordPress site

They been really good and building some good quality custom homes.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
If I were building a home, I would definitely discuss with Larry Clay. No cut corners, solid builder and overall person.

Clay Construction Inc. : Custom Homes with Integrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I had a friend that had a custom home built years ago - massive kitchen, gorgeous living room, theater room, 9 bedrooms... not a single bathroom.

I told him that was really weird.

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Im curious about this as well but how does the pricing scheme go?

$100/sqft for average quality?
$200/sqft for high quality?

Also I heard theres some tax loophole you can use if you leave the original foundation or structure or something. Claim it as renovation.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.boi View Post
I would recommend to use MetroVan Custom Homes
Metro Van Custom Homes | Just another WordPress site

They been really good and building some good quality custom homes.
This looks like a developer that dabbles in customs.

I, personally, would not give this builder a second thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Im curious about this as well but how does the pricing scheme go?

$100/sqft for average quality?
$200/sqft for high quality?

Also I heard theres some tax loophole you can use if you leave the original foundation or structure or something. Claim it as renovation.
Depends on the region.

The same work in West Van costs more than in North Van, which costs more than in Vancouver, which costs more than in White Rock. In a typical neighborhood, $160-175/sqft for good quality and $250-275/sqft for high quality, but not luxury.

The tax loophole does exist. The taxes are based on the percentage of the original home left in the 'new' structure. Usually it's the foundation and a couple walls that ultimately remain.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Thanks everyone. Going to look more into it.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
I asked the same question in 2012, so there's some information in this thread:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/66623...new-house.html

Construction on my house started in April 2013 and finished in November, and I moved in in December.

Rough estimate on costs = $550k for 2800 sq feet ($200/sq ft). I'd call my house a custom home, but I would not categorize it as a luxury home.

My general contractor was my mother-in-law's brother, who has been doing this for 20+ years. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend him because he's looking to retire soon (despite having multiple projects lined up already).

The important thing is to find a GC who has experience, and is someone you can trust. They will usually have contacts that can do the drawings.

Another tip is to go to open houses on lots that are the same size as your lot. That will give you an idea of what's possible.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Hey Gumpy, for 200/sq ft, I'm curious to know what you ended up getting in terms of finishing. What kind of cabinets/flooring/appliances?
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
2 Wheelin' Mod

From my experience renovating our house I will tell you to not hire

Bittu Dhillion Contracting
and
Herbies painting
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
flip the 'b' and you get Herpies Painting - terrible name

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks
Home - Astec Development - Vancouver Custom Homes

Check him out. Got our house built by him and he was very accommodating and did everything we asked of him.
mr.rakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Send me a PM if you haven't found anyone. I'm doing a 6 million dollar house in white rock right now.
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Your trades people will appreciate you if you treat them to coffee and donuts or something.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Your trades people will appreciate you if you treat them to coffee and donuts or something.
Yes! I was working on a reno the other day, and the homeowner baked me cookies, which was more than enough encouragement to go the extra mile with everything I was involved in at the site.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2014, 12:28 AM   #16
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
If I may add something to this, don't get carried away with just looking at who can design the fanciest house or who offers the best deals on the lipstick and mascara. I know this has little to do with the design of a house, but make sure you pay even closer attention to what goes on behind the drywall than what's in front of it. The last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house that has poorly laid out plumbing, insulation that barely meets minimum code, etc., etc.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Pm, I can put you in touch with some really good builders.
StutteR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
Hey Gumpy, for 200/sq ft, I'm curious to know what you ended up getting in terms of finishing. What kind of cabinets/flooring/appliances?
We have solid oak cabinets for the main floor (kitchen & powder room) + upstairs (2 bathrooms) cabinets. In the basement (1 kitchen & 2 bathrooms), we got some basic particle board stuff.

Laminate flooring throughout.

Stainless steel appliances in the main kitchen (average brands, such as LG/Panasonic/Samsung), and white Maytag appliances for the rental suite.

Due to our family relationship, I paid all of my contractor's invoices directly, he called in a lot of favours, and I even sourced some of the materials myself. These were all factors that helped to keep my costs down. If we had to do it again, there's no way I'd be able to hit the $200/sq ft mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Haha my GC called me one day and said "hey are you at work? If not, go buy some coffee & donuts and bring them to the job site now!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
If I may add something to this, don't get carried away with just looking at who can design the fanciest house or who offers the best deals on the lipstick and mascara. I know this has little to do with the design of a house, but make sure you pay even closer attention to what goes on behind the drywall than what's in front of it. The last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house that has poorly laid out plumbing, insulation that barely meets minimum code, etc., etc.
Agreed 100% with Lomac. My wife has a large family, so her uncle knows that his reputation is on the line. He can't afford to build a lemon. You could argue that not a single expense was spared behind the drywall (because he didn't give us a choice, LOL), whereas we had to make some compromises during the finishing stages (e.g. laminate vs hardwood, regular shower vs steam shower, etc.). He would be there after hours to check to make sure things were being done right.

Two examples that come to mind include the use of commercial pipes (cast iron) for plumbing to help minimize the sound of toilet flushes, and water-resistant drywall in the shower/tub areas.

The problem with buying a ready-built house is that you have no idea what materials were used behind the walls...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ta View Post
Send me a PM if you haven't found anyone. I'm doing a 6 million dollar house in white rock right now.
That might scare off the average RS member...

But seriously, if a builder has several multi-million dollar projects lined up, they probably wouldn't want to waste their time on a "Vancouver special"...
Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #20
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Due to our family relationship, I paid all of my contractor's invoices directly, he called in a lot of favours, and I even sourced some of the materials myself. These were all factors that helped to keep my costs down. If we had to do it again, there's no way I'd be able to hit the $200/sq ft mark.
No where near the market or budget to buy/built a house yet.

But I'm curious, for these kind of projects - (and those without the family relationships), how is the project paid?

Do you sign over a $xxxk cheque to the contractor?
Or are you able to pay most of the bills sometimes?
I heard some, are able to pay the contractors through (ie. Home Depot) gift cards?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
if im not mistaken, you pay the contractor at certain stages of the project. i believe the last payment is when the residency permit is issued.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #22
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
No where near the market or budget to buy/built a house yet.

But I'm curious, for these kind of projects - (and those without the family relationships), how is the project paid?

Do you sign over a $xxxk cheque to the contractor?
Or are you able to pay most of the bills sometimes?
I heard some, are able to pay the contractors through (ie. Home Depot) gift cards?
The owner submits payments to the contractor at pre-arranged stages of completion. The contractor will pay the subcontractors and all other bills unless an alternative arrangement is specified, and a good reason to have one would be necessary. The contractor will accept money, and will not accept gift cards. To pay a contractor with HD gift cards would be equivalent to paying at a restaurant with Save-On gift cards.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
All I can say is, if you don't know what you are doing, hire someone that does, AKA if you havnt built or renovated a home before hire someone who has to represent you and your best interests.

The number of people who attempt this and are left in a shit load of debt and a crappy end product are numerous to say the least.

Unfortunately some of the contractors and individuals out there are not always the most trustworthy people.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK IF YOU PLAN TO GO THROUGH WITH THIS.

And no this thread on RS does not even count as beginning to do your homework. In fact it almost demonstrates to me more than anything that you should probably not be tackling this in the first place, but I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
LOLWUT?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The owner submits payments to the contractor at pre-arranged stages of completion. The contractor will pay the subcontractors and all other bills unless an alternative arrangement is specified, and a good reason to have one would be necessary. The contractor will accept money, and will not accept gift cards. To pay a contractor with HD gift cards would be equivalent to paying at a restaurant with Save-On gift cards.
BE careful tho, if your GC doesn't pay the sub-trades, you're still on the hook as the owner
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #25
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
v_tec
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote