REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 02-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
The Keyboard Thread

Lately I have really been into keyboards, and have started reviewing them on my site. So I thought I'd start a thread here for people to discuss and share info and learn. My first keyboard review is this one

Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Review - TKL Cherry MX Blue

It's not really an intro to mechanical keyboards but there is some basic info there, as I learned a lot as I researched keyboards. I have to say, after using cheap rubber dome keyboards for too long, it was SUCH a nice change to switch to a mechanical. However the noise of the MX Blues is a bit much - at first my wife would complain every time I started typing fast (and she is not the type to complain about stuff). The noise itself is kind of annoying too (there's a video of the sound in my review)

Another issue I came across is that the switch resets at a higher point than it activates. So I had a few times in gaming where I would want to make small adjustments to my direction in WASD, but the key wasn't depressing since I didn't let my finger off it completely. Does this mean it is absolutely NOT for gaming? Not really, but it didn't work that great for me. Typing on it was great, but noisy.

I am typing this on a Topre RealForce and I played games for about an hour so far. It's a rubber dome keyboard, but has springs underneath each one. And instead of pushing a plastic button in, it uses the springs to activate the switch with electric capacitance. So it's a rubber dome KB but not a "cheap" one

The 55g activation is definitely noticeable, especially when you have to hit the space bar a bunch of times. This still isn't as stiff as Cherry MX black though, which are linear keys (meaning no 'bump' to tell you it has been pressed) and 60g

So I am wondering what kind of keyboards folks here are using? What do you like about it, or dislike?

For me Tenkeyless is the way to go. For one, I don't have much room on my desk, but I also like having the mouse real close by. I actually sit slightly to the left of my monitor, so my KB and mouse together are centered in front of the monitor..
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
I don't think there is a mechanical keyboard to rule it all due to personal preference.

I like blue for typing but settled with black for occasional gaming. (you don't really want that "click" when playing games).

Electrostatic-based keyboards like Topre RF or PFU HH are nice but I personally don't see the added benefit given the substantially higher price tag than a good Filco/DAS/WASD based on Cherry switches of one's choice. And the fact that I'm on a Mac makes keyboard shopping even worse.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #3

Aren't there any good mac compatible keyboards? I know the stock keyboard is horrible with those stupid chicklet keys. I can't believe people accept that...

As for super high end keyboards, as long as they are expensive for a reason, it's a bit more acceptable. If they were just covered in embellishments that do nothing but raise the price, I would have a problem with it. As an analogy, I would say it's like comparing a $1500 watch to a $200 watch. Both probably tell time pretty much the same way, and you can get $200 watches that look just as good. But the $1500 watch will be engineered and built with greater care an precision, and better components than the $200 watch.

In the same way, a $250 keyboard made in Japan with capacitive switches, PBT plastic keycaps rather than ABS, dye sub printing rather than laser etched, etc, etc, will have these advantages over a $80 keyboard. They will both type the same, and you might not even like the more expensive one. But there's at least a reason for it to be expensive, IMO. There's nothing I hate more than things being expensive just because of the brand that it is sold under.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,537 Times in 556 Posts
I'm using the Razer Marauder. I've never liked the feel of mechanical keyboards in regards to typing up papers (too loud, weird feel). But to each their own!

Specifically got it for the backlighting, and it's capabilities with SC2, as well as macro configurations. I've had it for 2+ years now, and I have no complaints. Even after a couple of years, the keys are still gorgeous and don't actually show signs of traditional wear. The lighting is customizable, it has a braided cable, and it's a tad bit smaller in length than your traditional full-sized keyboard.
Because they have integrated the arrow keys into the numpad, toggling the numlock can be a pain, but it's my only complaint.
+1 for this keyboard if you can find it!
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #5

My old Logitech was similar in that it was the width of a TKL but still had the numpad. It even had arrow keys, they were just half-height. Very cool layout, but after a year many of the keys looked shiny and had no print, and the membrane was wearing down so the keys got more and more wobbly. Also the CTRL button would stick most of the time.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
I'm using the Ducky Shine 3 with Cherry MX red keys

Settled with the red keys because I really dislike the tactile feedback while gaming. Much prefer the linear press when I'm mashing buttons lol. The LED options are really cool (especially the wave option). They are a bit unnecessary but at least you can turn them off.
Fappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 AM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
I've been very pleased with my Steelseries 7G with the Cherry MX Blacks. The kicker for me is the silly looking wristrest which no joke prevents arm and wrist fatigue like nothing I've ever tried before. I wish it had a USB 3.0 passthrough but that wasn't really a thing yet when I bought this years ago so that's moot.

Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.

Last edited by Brianrietta; 02-09-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:53 AM   #8

Cool pics guys. I was close to picking up a Ducky for the same price as the Razer, but I preferred the TKL. Will see if I can review one instead
Old 02-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
currently using the razer blackwidow ultimate. first mechanical keyboard i've ever owned and used. im loving it.

Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I am using the DAS Keyboard for mac.. works fine.

The annoying thing is the USB cable is way too long for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Aren't there any good mac compatible keyboards? I know the stock keyboard is horrible with those stupid chicklet keys. I can't believe people accept that...
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
HELP ME PLS!!!

I'm on the fence between blue and brown switches.

The blues have a nice clicky tactile feel. I got to try the keys at NCIX once. But as other have said, they're loud.

The browns are like the blues but have a rubber ring at the bottom to stop the clicky sound when the keys bottom out. Though, on wiki, the force to press the key down is about 20% less than the blue. So I not sure if they're prone to typos or misclicks...
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
The thing is about all the function keys apple has assigned to their stock keyboard.

On third party keyboards, unless specifically designed to be compatible, one'd have to remap all the keys and it sucks. Because it's not plug and play and sometimes the adjustments interferes with the on board keyboard of the MBP itself.

Then there is the material and layout.

It took me roughly 6 months to hunt down a keyboard with layout I like with POM keycaps and black switches. (PBT is somewhat better in general terms as it's not too hard. I just don't like the texture of PBT. I mean, it's a fucking keyboard that one TYPES, why do they make texture on it is beyond me... but again... personal preference. I like my keys to be buttery smooth).

It was a out-of-production Mac keyboard from Fentec Industry.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
I'm on the fence between blue and brown switches.

The blues have a nice clicky tactile feel. I got to try the keys at NCIX once. But as other have said, they're loud.

The browns are like the blues but have a rubber ring at the bottom to stop the clicky sound when the keys bottom out. Though, on wiki, the force to press the key down is about 20% less than the blue. So I not sure if they're prone to typos or misclicks...
It's not that the browns have a rubber stopper, it's that they don't have an 2 piece plunger that clicks on activation. You can see it here:

The blue has that extra piece on the plunger that 'slams' down after getting past the actuation point

Browns have a one piece plunger that has the tactile feel, but not the clicking sound.

You can actually install rubber o-rings on them dull the click a bit. This also shortens the actuation point

Also because of this 2 piece plunger, the blues actually de-actuate at a higher point than they actuate. That's what makes them not very suitable for gaming. I had issues even in Don't Starve, where I would be walking and making minor adjustments to go diagonally... once in a while the key didn't de-actuate so it didn't register a key press.

Then you have red and black, which have no tactile feel at all. They just slide up and down, and hit the actuation point about halfway there.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Using a razer blackwidow. It good with games and all that. But normal typing seems a bit loud.

I don't play games much these days and thinking of switching to more quiet.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts

Funny the pic says gaming keyboard, but I don't get at all.

Using brown switches. Typing feels great.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #16

That's the thing, what makes a "gaming keyboard"? Aside from switch type?

-Macro support? Does it need to have specific macro keys?
-"gaming mode"? Disabling things like alt-tab and the Windows key?
-USB hub built in? For your mouse? Is this a gaming feature?

These are the features usually found on what is marketed as a "gaming keyboard" but they don't seem to be that specific... what else is there?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
These are the features usually found on what is marketed as a "gaming keyboard" but they don't seem to be that specific... what else is there?
Dedicated keys for said macros. All Logitech have them.

LCD Display? Personally, I don't buy this feature. Had one of the earlier G Keyboards and disabled it as I only "looked" at it once per session to check how much ammo I had. (Back when hunters used ammo in wow)

On board sound card with hp/mic ports, might be slightly useful if your CPU is far from your desk/couch/bed/wherever you play from. Also useful for mac laptops (you can use iphone headsets but I prefer my steelseries gaming set for gaming.)
VK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
That's the thing, what makes a "gaming keyboard"? Aside from switch type?

-Macro support? Does it need to have specific macro keys?
-"gaming mode"? Disabling things like alt-tab and the Windows key?
-USB hub built in? For your mouse? Is this a gaming feature?

anti-ghosting? thats the only thing i can think of.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #19
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

im using my k95
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,563 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:
Cool pics guys. I was close to picking up a Ducky for the same price as the Razer, but I preferred the TKL. Will see if I can review one instead
I think they have TKL versions of the Ducky Shine 3 now. A bit cheaper as well
Fappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #21
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I've tried a variety of switches. From blue to black and red. I'm going to experiment with the browns soon. At the moment, while the tactile feedback is nice from the blues, the sound may be a bit too much. I'm using the K90 right now and it's a phenomenal keyboard. My girlfriend uses the K70 and she enjoys the light linear switches as well.

Corsair's next keyboard will be the Corsair RGB, which features switches in red, blue as well as brown. Fully customizable backlighting, as well as a brushed aluminum surface. Keys are elevated above the base, so cleaning will be easy.

Can't wait!!
Taxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #22
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I'm using a Saitek Eclipse II.
Been using it since 2006. No problems with it. A few letters on the keys have been totally worn off though.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but to this day, I still don't get the advantage of mechanical keyboard.
I've read up articles about them, but they don't seem to translate to real-world advantage other than being more suitable to one's preference.

I've only tried them in computer stores, so I admit I've never used one for long term before, but they are kind of too pricey for me to buy one just to try it out.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 02-11-2014 at 12:47 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post

Funny the pic says gaming keyboard, but I don't get at all.

Using brown switches. Typing feels great.
This is my work keyboard for 3 years running. I love the tactility and reduced (read: it's still loud-ish) noise compared to blues. Contrary to the actuation forces, the brown feel a bit harder to press compared to the blues. Maybe I had a bad MX Blue keyboard (was a Razer). The only thing I wish was that the browns required a bit more force to depress. I'm a heavy-handed typer so I can't "float" on the keys. I've learned to ease up a bit using the Brown, but I still bottom out unnecessarily. There's no places to try Green switches, so I've been wary to try and buy one only to possibly return it.

For home I have a Tt esports MX Black. Must have for FPS games imo. Couldn't game at all on non-linear switches. I'm pretty lazy with taking my fingers off WASD so being able to lift it slightly to depress again was a plus with linear switches. Red was a bit too mushy for me, but typing on the black is tiresome.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #24
Rider

Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
I'm looking for O rings to make my keys from clacking so much. I have the Das Ultimate S keyboard.

What do you guys recommend and where do you recommend getting them for a cheap price ?

I emailed 2 companies in the states. One said they only provide for businesses and another one says they wont ship USPS, which was the cheaper option. They only ship via fedex or UPS.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I'm using a Saitek Eclipse II.
Been using it since 2006. No problems with it. A few letters on the keys have been totally worn off though.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but to this day, I still don't get the advantage of mechanical keyboard.
I've read up articles about them, but they don't seem to translate to real-world advantage other than being more suitable to one's preference.

I've only tried them in computer stores, so I admit I've never used one for long term before, but they are kind of too pricey for me to buy one just to try it out.
They're more durable. That's the big improvement.

Aside from that, it's all personal preference. As I work on a computer all day, I decided to try a mechanical (brown) keyboard, and I haven't looked back since. Now I find rubber-dome keyboards far too mushy to touch-type (well, to the best of my abilities).
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote