REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Vancouver Condo Sales Ads Appears @ HK Newspaper

Are realtors really hungry for overseas chinese buyer?
or there is huge amount of unsold condos leftover? is the bubble burst around the corner?

It was forwarded to me from a friend
picture of a condo sales ads at 188 Keefer St ** Right across T&T **

Translation: condos of $200k+ with 5% downpay

Advertisement

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
$200k + 5% down? so cheap. must buy.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Nothing new. Seen ads in the paper of real estate in places like Hawaii and Costa Rica.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
i wonder how the new immigration rules will affect these buyers decisions.

Basically the Fed just announced no more immigration through oversea business investments...
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
nothing new. the last time i was in HK 14 years ago i remember seeing rooftop billboards from re//max advertising realtor services with both an HK and 604 area code phone numbers.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K_o__o View Post
Are realtors really hungry for overseas chinese buyer?
or there is huge amount of unsold condos leftover? is the bubble burst around the corner?

It was forwarded to me from a friend
picture of a condo sales ads at 188 Keefer St ** Right across T&T **

Translation: condos of $200k+ with 5% downpay

lol stay away from that place.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

10k down? Damn, sounds so sketch
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
lol stay away from that place.
Which building is this and why do you say that?

I'm quite curious why you are against it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i thought 188 keefer was on the corner of keefer & main from the billboard i see in chinatown, stones throw from hastings and main. i'm assuming he means due to location (proximity to DTES?)

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i thought 188 keefer was on the corner of keefer & main from the billboard i see in chinatown, stones throw from hastings and main. i'm assuming he means due to location (proximity to DTES?)
That's one of the reason. The quality they use is shit and it is very very close to the skytrain so you will hear it day in and day out. Also is like right besdie T&T tons of traffic and people just parking on the streets making it hard to find parking. If you walk around that area you will notice there are a ton of garbage around.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
skytrain noise wouldn't be that bad. imagine those condos by stadium that are about 10 feet away from the track.

i lived by brentwood before (about a block from the train) and it's actually not that bad.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
That's one of the reason. The quality they use is shit and it is very very close to the skytrain so you will hear it day in and day out. Also is like right besdie T&T tons of traffic and people just parking on the streets making it hard to find parking. If you walk around that area you will notice there are a ton of garbage around.
I think you are mistaken that this development is located at 188 keefer PLACE. 188 keefer place is as you described, right next to the skytrain and T&T, but that already has been fully developed in the previous years.

This development is on the corner of main and keefer . 188 keefer STREET.

I do agree that the quality they use is shit. This is probably the first time WESTBANK ever used laminate planks... Not even laminate flooring.
Posted via RS Mobile
acemist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Highjacking thread a little. Noobie starting to research condos. Is there specific site that rates builders and or tells you exactly what type of materials were used? In this case how do you know laminate planks were used?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
I would think this kind of selling method has been around since eons ago?

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
I HERP TO YOU DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Highjacking thread a little. Noobie starting to research condos. Is there specific site that rates builders and or tells you exactly what type of materials were used? In this case how do you know laminate planks were used?
Would like to know as well. Seems to me there isn't any reputable dealer that actually focuses on delivering value to the customer vs. cutting every corner to maximise margins...

From what I read so far (at least in some threads), almost all developers would hire experienced tradesmen to build showhome units and then use cheaper and less skilled labour to build the others.

Would be great to hear from some folks in the industry if there are any developers we could trust in terms of materials and craftsmanship.

Seems like wishful thinking.
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #16
degenerate extraordinaire

^ that's their business model!

materials, you could customize your unit if it hasn't been built (different brand appliances and flooring), but in terms of the craftsmanship, that's up to the company.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
There is hardly any guarantee, some companies would definitely have their own level of standards and therefore they are more trusted than others. Such is Polygon and Concord Pacific, to name 2 more recognized names in 604...

but on the other hand a lot of complications could come up. Sub-contracting and suppliers can cause issues with the quality as well. If you are buying used the track record (previous minutes, special levies and this new thing called depreciation report) should give you precedence if the building has any quality issues...

whereas in new homes you have to buy into the new home warranty program that is mandated in BC and you are covered if there are any building deficiencies. There is some kind of information in the building declaration but it is not comprehensive enough... The city can let you view the building plans with inclusion of cross sections of the intended structural and engineering information but....it just looks like gibberish to people who are not in the engineering field.

At the end of the day, it is more the location, the freehold interest than the so called "quality" of the structure, which is very subjective imo.

*This is just what I think, it is not a professional opinion as a realtor...

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #18
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
subscribed for condo talk.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemist View Post
I think you are mistaken that this development is located at 188 keefer PLACE. 188 keefer place is as you described, right next to the skytrain and T&T, but that already has been fully developed in the previous years.

This development is on the corner of main and keefer . 188 keefer STREET.

I do agree that the quality they use is shit. This is probably the first time WESTBANK ever used laminate planks... Not even laminate flooring.
Posted via RS Mobile
Whats the difference between laminate plank and laminate flooring?
Sorry complete noob.
henry604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #20
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I just purchased a condo near YT for rental purposes after 2 months of getting into bidding wars. The market for condo's in the $360-$390k range is pretty strong especially in and around YT because the units are a good, low risk investment with good rental income to offset your mortgage payment.

The condo I got had been on the market for less than 24 hours, the realtor already had 4 showings, the interested parties were all Asian buyers looking for investment units. When I made a offer, the buyers had two offers sitting in front of them so I had to come in close to asking but finally got it.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #21
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

188 keefer websites features says laminate plank for thier lower end units and laminate for thier higher end units.

Laminate planks (aka vinyl planks) from a distance looks like laminate flooring as they also have wood grain/patterns on them. If you go check out these in flooring stores you can see that laminate planks are much thinner (5mm approx) and they are slightly flexable, made from vinyl. These can be used in bathrooms. They are typically glued down and doesnt need a underlayment for soundproofing, vinyl doesnt transfer sound like wood afterall.

Laminate flooring is made from fiberboards and immitates hardwood floor, but cheaper alternative.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by acemist; 02-13-2014 at 12:10 AM.
acemist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #22
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Wonder how this will affect the condo sales

Could scrapped immigrant program drop Vancouver home prices? | CTV Vancouver News
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^Probably zilch. That should only affect the upper-tier real-estate in Vancouver. Those millionaires likely weren't picking up tons of condo units. It would require them to hire someone to manage them all.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
There is hardly any guarantee, some companies would definitely have their own level of standards and therefore they are more trusted than others. Such is Polygon and Concord Pacific, to name 2 more recognized names in 604...

but on the other hand a lot of complications could come up. Sub-contracting and suppliers can cause issues with the quality as well. If you are buying used the track record (previous minutes, special levies and this new thing called depreciation report) should give you precedence if the building has any quality issues...

whereas in new homes you have to buy into the new home warranty program that is mandated in BC and you are covered if there are any building deficiencies. There is some kind of information in the building declaration but it is not comprehensive enough... The city can let you view the building plans with inclusion of cross sections of the intended structural and engineering information but....it just looks like gibberish to people who are not in the engineering field.

At the end of the day, it is more the location, the freehold interest than the so called "quality" of the structure, which is very subjective imo.

*This is just what I think, it is not a professional opinion as a realtor...
This is very informative. I have been starting researching about condos / townhouse
How do we request the city to disclose the building plan before buying it?

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypediss View Post
Would like to know as well. Seems to me there isn't any reputable dealer that actually focuses on delivering value to the customer vs. cutting every corner to maximise margins...

From what I read so far (at least in some threads), almost all developers would hire experienced tradesmen to build showhome units and then use cheaper and less skilled labour to build the others.

Would be great to hear from some folks in the industry if there are any developers we could trust in terms of materials and craftsmanship.

Seems like wishful thinking.
I know from former past experience. Cressey and Polygon actually have a lot of their own construction workers under their own payroll. Unlike most developers that contract and subcontract out. It's more costly which is why I think these two have pretty well built towers imho, but their prices are on the high side. But i guess you get what you pay for.

Worst out of the bigger names is Aquilini. They contract and subcontract and dont pay attention to detail. Mother fucker is cheap as fuck. Cuts soo many corners. Having lived in a home built by them. Would never recommend to anyone. Also I know a lot of their buildings have leaks.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: