REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Small but irritating roof leak - ideas? or inexpensive roofing guy recommendations?

Home is a post-war bungalow - ie 60+ years.
Having trouble tracing the source of a leak that usually only happens with heavy rain, like tonight... It doesn't happen all the time though, which makes it hard to find. I don't see any leaks dripping from the roof interior.

Attempted remedies:
1) our gutters were quite full so I cleared the gunk and leaves. Seemed to work, but then leak showed up at the next heavier rainfall
2) Gutters still full so I drilled a new hole where it was collecting, so it could drain onto a porch roof. I guessed rain may have been seeping over the edge of the gutter and moving along a joist. Thought that solved it... but leak showed up again tonight.

Background:
Roof was redone about 5 years ago. We laid a new layer of asphalt shingles on top of the old ones, which we were told is fine, as long as you don't do more than three layers total.

There is a slow leak showing up in one of our rooms, about 3 feet from an external wall. I have gone up in the attic multiple times but see no leaks dripping from the roof. When I touch the affected area, the insulation is damp, but not completely wet.

It's difficult to get all the way to the edge of the roof from the attic because of the angle of the roof is shallow there.

Suggestions, anyone? either for a solution or for a good leak-tracking contractor?
Advertisement
chunk_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

why dont you use a hose and spray in the area that you think is leaking, should be able to notice
Old 02-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

- your only allowed 2 layers of asphalt shingles
- can you post a picture of the outside of the roof and the side of the house where it's leaking?
frost91 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

That's the shitty thing about trying to find a leak with two layers of roof on. The water could be coming in further up the roof and not showing until it penetrates the first layer further down the roof. Are there any chimneys, skylights, vents or any other penetrations near that area?
jkballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
i dont like roofing over existing material as it tends to cause problems like this one down the road.

tear off and new paper new shingles is what i would have suggested as the cost savings of just roofing over are usually negated by future problems and issues that occur.

post some pics, also give the guy who did the work on your roof a call and ask him to come and take a look if hes willing. my bet is that its hitting a rafter and travelling down to that spot somewhere further up. try putting some plastic sheeting down and see if you can catch the water and determine where the source is.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Back in our old house, we've had irritating roof leaks too, very difficult to trace the problem. In the end we just re did everything.

It may cost more, but in the long run you'll encounter less headache and less band aid solutions.

Hope it works out!
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote