REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Learn me some E46 330ci

These have always been a long time favorite car of mine, and I'm in the position now to possibly get one. Aside from the suspension bushing issues, what else should I look out for? What kind of maintenance cost should I expect. I don't plan to do anything to it other than maybe suspension, exhaust and wheels. Are there any years that are better than others? I am specifically looking at an early model 2001/2002 with a manual transmission.

Advertisement

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
These have always been a long time favorite car of mine, and I'm in the position now to possibly get one. Aside from the suspension bushing issues, what else should I look out for? What kind of maintenance cost should I expect. I don't plan to do anything to it other than maybe suspension, exhaust and wheels. Are there any years that are better than others? I am specifically looking at an early model 2001/2002 with a manual transmission.

I owned an E46 coupe for two years. Here are some issues you should consider with any E46:

1. Subframe tear
This is a well-documented issue that happened on many early E46s. Basically, the floor in the rear is susceptible to tears where the rear subframe is mounted. If not caught early, you'll have to weld in a new floor. If the damage is limited to a crack, instead of a full tear, you can weld in metal plates to strengthen the floor where the subframe is mounted. Expect 10-12 hours labour plus the cost of metal plates. While BMW supposedly made some changes to the rear floor in 2001+ E46s, I would strongly recommend that you get any E46 on a hoist and inspect the area by the rear subframe for crakcs before you buy one.

2. Cooling system
All BMW inline-6s after 1991 use plastic cooling system parts. Unless you have records showing when the system was replaced, you should really replace the whole system when you buy one as preventative maintenance. If you're handy, expect it to take you about 2 hours. You'll need to buy the following:
- Belts
- Expansion tank
- Water pump
- Pulley and tensioners
- Thermostat
- Hoses
- Sensors
OEM parts from a reputable supplier such as Pelican or BMA will cost you about 300 USD.

3. Crankcase Ventilation Valve
If it hasn't been replaced, it will fail. You need small hands, or have the patience of a saint to do it. The parts are only about 100 bucks, but labour is about 3 hours if you know what you're doing.

4. Oil leaks
The valve cover gasket will probably leak, and so will the oil filter housing. The gaskets are cheap (~20 bucks), but you'll need to budget at least 2 hours labour each to replace them.

5. Window regulators
They will fail eventually. They cost about $140 USD each.

6. Power sunroof clips
They will fail too. About $25 bucks each to replace.

Mechanically, the E46 is pretty solid as long as you're willing to replace the above, are willing to reinforce the floor by the subframe, and basically rebuild the suspension (bushings, control arms). The M54 is a great engine that is more or less bullet proof. You should probably pick up some BMW diagnostic software as well. As with any used BMW, always budget an extra $2000 for maintenance after you buy the car because chances are, the previous owner probably neglected some things.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tapioca; 02-15-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #3

Great, just what I was hoping for.. some solid first hand advice. Thanks for that. Most of the mechanical things I can deal with myself but I wouldn't have known about the subframe issue. I'll be sure to have an inspection done on any car I am considering. For the most part everything seems pretty minor (aside from the floor). Less "big" issues than I though there would be.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #4

A few more things I should add about the E46:

- The 330s in 2004-2006 received a 6-speed manual transmission.
- Coupes were facelifted in 2004 (received new tailights and a new front fascia)
- Not all 330s were created alike. Some early ones still had leatherette and comfort seats.
- The Harmon Kardon sound system kind of sucks.
- The ZHP was available from 2003 to 2006. Higher redline (6800 vs. 6500), M3 body kit, sport suspension were some of the things included. Fairly rare, but not worth the price difference, IMHO.
- All-wheel drive is best avoided. The system will wear out your suspension components more quickly, and the transfer case is just another drive train item to worry about.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

A Buyers Guide for the E46 - E46Fanatics
jsran is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Big thanks to Tapioca, I'm looking to getting one of these in the next few months too

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
If you are not familiar with these cars (especially if you have no previous BMW experience) I highly recommend getting a PPI done at a reputable shop.

A $200 PPI can save you from a $10K+ headache.

Edit: Just for shits and giggles, I called Brian Jessel Autohaus the other day to inquire about their PPI. 2 hours labour (about $2xx and another 2 hours if you want a leakdown and compression test done.) You can always use the results from the PPI to help negotiate the price with the seller (unless they are absolutely firm on their price, then just walk.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 02-15-2014 at 04:54 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #8

One more thing to add: forget mods (unless they're simple, like a ZHP shift knob or shadowline trim) and save your money for maintenance.

If you're doing all of your own work - $1500 per year.
If you're going to an independent for some or all of your work - $2500-4000 per year.
If you're going to the dealer - $5000+ per year.

During my ownership of an E46, I did about half of the work myself, purchased parts from the States, and I still spent close to $4000. My car was a one-owner, low-mileage, manual transmission, dealer maintained example also.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
I don't get it

This guy is pretty well known on the forums and provide a lot of information on what maintenance you need to do
Just bought your non-M E46? Bare essentials maintenance checklist (part #s included)

And to add to Tapioca's comment above, these cars are actually really easy to DIY. Generally I say about 80% of required maintenance can be done on your own

Also OT for e46 owners. Any of you guys ever get a "clunk" sound coming from the rear end of the car? Usually happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and when letting go of the gas pedal. Dealer said might be just slack from diff since they didn't find cracks/tears on subframe.
xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
One more thing to add: forget mods (unless they're simple, like a ZHP shift knob or shadowline trim) and save your money for maintenance.

If you're going to an independent for some or all of your work - $2500-4000 per year.

During my ownership of an E46, I did about half of the work myself, purchased parts from the States, and I still spent close to $4000. My car was a one-owner, low-mileage, manual transmission, dealer maintained example also.

if you are spending 2.5-5k a year in maintenance on a e46...you got a lemon

had a 01 e46 and didn't spend anywhere near those numbers..
heck..i am in a 09 335i with 100K and i spend less than 2k a year in maintenance...
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
i would generally say if you're getting a 13 year old car (pretty much many cars, but i'd say more risk with a BMW, Audi, Merc) - you run the risk of many different things going wrong... but that's true for any car, could be perfect, could be a money pit.

good luck with the purchase, i feel the same way - great looking car, timeless design... i'm not so sure the next generation has the same timeless design
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
I'm selling mine. 2005 - 330 zhp cabriolet. 65,000km.

I haven't had any problems with mine, has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. That being said, definitely get a ppi done as repairs can be expensive. Nixon in burnaby are great and much cheaper than a dealership for anything, including ppi's.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post

Yikes! Sounds like you had a lemon man, that is a lot of repairs. I needed a new motor for the convertible top, that was $400, and that was about it other than normal maintenance stuff.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post

heck..i am in a 09 335i with 100K and i spend less than 2k a year in maintenance...
You have to remember that your 335i is much, much more newer than his E46, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Depending on the model year, maintenance costs and necessities differ significantly for pre and post face lift E46s. For Tapioca to list about $2000 in maintenance, he's probably throwing out a ball park number to facilitate any minor repairs and particular "while this part's out, I might as well..." type of maintenance. This goes for overdue suspension overhauls, cooling system maintenance, and little electrical gremlins and even stuff like the oil seperator, oil filter housing gasket etc.

Later model years, being 04 and 05, require much less maintenance as BMW finally had the opportunity to correct the little things that drive BMW owners crazy. Those two years marked the E46s end of product lifecycle and are the best ones to get. 03 is awesome too!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:

same.. my e46 325i was trouble free too except for the valve cover gasket leak which i didn't even know about it until the new owner took over and notified me
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Get a zhp brah
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #17

Quote:

My E46 was hardly lemon - it was simply a BMW that was over 10 years old. This is how I came up with about ~$4000 during my 2 years of ownership.

1st service performed at Nixon:
- Inspection 1 (car needed it at the time I purchased it)
- all fluids changed because previous owner neglected to change them
- Crankcase vent valve
$1200

Cooling system rebuild
- Water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, hoses, pulley, tensioners, belts
~$600 in parts from BMA and Pelican

Battery
- $150, OEM Exide

ICBC Comprehensive claim
- $300

Sunroof clips
- $45 from the stealer

Oil and filters - Castrol European Formula, 2 changes
- $150, Mann OEM and oil from Canadian Tire on sale

New valve cover and gaskets (I paid someone an hour's worth of labour the 2nd time after I found out that the cover was warped)
-$430

Auxiliary cooling fan
- $400 from BMA

Touch up paint
- $45 from the stealer

All of these repairs are common maintenance items for any BMW that is over 10 years old. For those who are serious about owning a BMW that's over 15 years old, I would recommend you spend some time reading this blog from a 328is owner who has spent a good amount of money maintaining his BMW in top shape: Doug's Domain :: BMW E36 Maintenance Log

I reckon that most people who have had BMWs without much maintenance have either had them during the warranty period, or they've driven them and neglected important maintenance, only to pass on that maintenance to the next owner.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,133 Times in 7,146 Posts
There is keeping a car running, and then there is maintaining it. If your car is as nice as it was when you bought it a couple years down the road, thats maintained. You could easily get by cheaper with the former, it just depends how much you like the car. I could have spent 50 bucks on maintenance after the first 6 months on my M3, and instead I've spent 1k with another 1k in tires coming up, and then throw in a detail in spring for around 200 bucks. Saying 2k in maintenance constitutes a lemon is ridiculous. It depends on the level you maintain your car, and where it happens to be in its life cycle during your ownership.
Buy a peake reader for like 180 bucks from turner, and a tool kit and they are pretty straight forward cars to deal with. Being that they are such a popular car, parts are easily available in most cases and every DIY under the sun has been documented.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2014, 11:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
If you are not familiar with these cars (especially if you have no previous BMW experience) I highly recommend getting a PPI done at a reputable shop.

A $200 PPI can save you from a $10K+ headache.

Edit: Just for shits and giggles, I called Brian Jessel Autohaus the other day to inquire about their PPI. 2 hours labour (about $2xx and another 2 hours if you want a leakdown and compression test done.) You can always use the results from the PPI to help negotiate the price with the seller (unless they are absolutely firm on their price, then just walk.)
I think there are merits to doing a PPI, but sometimes you do not have time to do a PPI because the car is priced well and it is rare/desirable (any E46 330i/ci with a manual and sport package sells on the market). If you understand the main things to look out for (cooling system, engine) and the car drives well (if it "clunks" from the rear during gear shifts, your subframe bushings are shot or worse there's a tear by the subframe), you sometimes have to dive in knowing that you'll probably spend another $2000 during the first year of ownership anyway.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #20
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
I think the biggest mistake people make with older sports cars is they spend their entire budget on the car, and have nothing left over for maintenance and repairs. They then proceed to every online forum within 100 miles and start preaching to the choir that they got a lemon.

Now, i'm NOT saying this is what anyone here is doing/done, i'm just saying this is why some people think they bought a junk pile when in reality it just needed a bit of maintenance they couldn't afford.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
E46 is a terrible candidate for an engine swap as far as I'm aware, the electronics are far more complex than the E36
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #22

Who said anything about an engine swap? LOL...

I want a nice car that I can get in and go drive. Not a swap car that's going to cause nothing but headaches. If I wanted another headache car I'd buy another RX7.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #23
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
how's the gas milage? Insurance on these? I'm guessing needs premium? Is it enough power? Considering German cars aren't exactly light
Posted via RS Mobile
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #24

^
City: 450-500 kms to a tank
Highway: 700+ kms to a tank.

Insurance: About 1600 per year with a full discount

Fuel: Always 91 Octane. Any BMW with an inline-six after 1991 needs premium fuel.

Power: Non-M BMWs have never been about power. However, the 330 is very quick with a great exhaust note. Just appreciate the steering feel, the braking, and driving dynamics.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
I think the biggest mistake people make with older sports cars is they spend their entire budget on the car, and have nothing left over for maintenance and repairs. They then proceed to every online forum within 100 miles and start preaching to the choir that they got a lemon.

Now, i'm NOT saying this is what anyone here is doing/done, i'm just saying this is why some people think they bought a junk pile when in reality it just needed a bit of maintenance they couldn't afford.
I would say this is true for any older vehicle. Most people blow their entire budget on the car and are hooped when it needs maintenance or if the PO neglected anything. I have a few friends with cars that are stuck parked right now because of this.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote