REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Engagement Rings (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692909-engagement-rings.html)

RickyTan3 02-17-2014 06:22 PM

Engagement Rings

Trying to shop for it and my heads going ti explode what's the best place?
Posted via RS Mobile

maksimizer 02-17-2014 06:24 PM

Could always just never get married.....

Spidey 02-17-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyTan3 (Post 8418674)
Trying to shop for it and my heads going ti explode what's the best place?
Posted via RS Mobile

Surely you have family or friends that can direct you to a jeweller. Personally, I am not a big fan of the big name stores like Peoples, Ben Moss, etc.

hopalong 02-17-2014 08:08 PM

Yes stay away from the big names. I got my fiancés ring custom made and it's 1/3 the price of the big names, but same quality.

zx7rrrr 02-17-2014 08:13 PM

Buy a the rock wholesale and go on eBay and find the ring setting
Posted via RS Mobile

duc_evo_sp 02-17-2014 08:51 PM

Stop buying diamonds, worst investment on the face of the earth. Trust me.

Your should buy a rare gem and set it by a custom jeweler in Vancouver.

10 Facts About Diamonds You Should Know - Neatorama

Ten Rarest Precious Stones | Jewels du Jour

Your Welcome.

BBMme 02-17-2014 08:53 PM

I like brirks for off the shelves or brinkhaus for custom
Posted via RS Mobile

extracrunchie 02-17-2014 08:55 PM

try whiteflash.com

you are not paying for the design, so its a lot cheaper and the quality is there.

Spidey 02-18-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duc_evo_sp (Post 8418781)

Your Welcome.

As men, we could care less about whether diamonds are an "investment" with respect to monetary value.. It's not like we are getting it back... Diamonds are for the girl. period. The only "investment" an engagement ring is, is to wife your girl. If what she wants is a diamond, it doesn't matter what rational reasoning you have to buy her an Emerald or Ruby... She ain't gonna be happy unless it's a diamond lol

flameboy54 02-18-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duc_evo_sp (Post 8418781)

Your Welcome.

I would question ones investment knowledge if they're buying diamonds as an investment. As for as I know, most if not all diamonds are bought to be worn as personal adornments not as investment vehicles.

Buying a rare gem, while creative, might be an ever worse idea then buying a diamond as an investment. Firstly, all of the stones listed on the link you provided, with the exception of jadeite and, of course, red diamond, would not hold up to daily wear and tear compared to diamond. I'd guarantee you by 2 years time your rare stone will have worn facet edges, chips, scratches, etc.

Secondly, if you can afford to buy the more expensive stones on the list, you’re insurance premiums would be through the roof. And should something happen to the stone and you need to make a claim for it, your jeweler may or may not find the same or comparable stone to replace with.

I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade, just want to educate people who are thinking outside of the box from buying a diamond.

With all that said, I’ll be the first to admit that I dislike diamonds as much as you duc_evo_sp but I do agree that it’s an ideal choice for several reasons – 10 on the Moh’s scale of hardness means that it’ll withstand daily wear and tear, easily replaceable if you damage or lose it, and there’s something about a clean, well cut stone with maximum fire and scintillation….at least to me.

Signed,
Someone who’s been in the jewelry industry for 7 years

ForbiddenX 02-18-2014 11:25 AM

Bought a ring from spence. Loved the service and the ring. Was thinking of doing it online but liked how I can see the diamonds and ring first.

Hehe 02-18-2014 07:18 PM

Is it necessary?

What I'd do: just cut her a check of $xxx (the price for the ring) and fold it into a big ring (more like a bracelet, but you get the idea)

I could have gotten a ring, then I figured it might not be the one you want. So, just go do whatever you want with this check.

HondaGuy 02-19-2014 02:57 PM

Remember the 4 C's...

Carat, colour, clarity, cut...

Clarity: Highest: VVS1, VVS2...VS1, VS2...SI1, SI2...I1, I2 etc...
Colour: Highest: D,E,F...(clear) G,H,I (slight yellow) ... Etc

Good luck!!
Posted via RS Mobile

sonick 02-19-2014 05:27 PM

Any recommended local custom jewelers for the custom-made ring/setting route?

Alby 02-19-2014 08:17 PM

i bought mine at a local store in richmond in central square, the plaza between aberdeen and parker place. i was a noobie walking in and walked out being very knowledgeable. i was referred there by a family friend. service was great.

Special K 02-19-2014 10:40 PM

I was looking at the custom route (setting). The end quality is not on par as compared to "designer" brands.

I ended up a Tacori setting and picked my own diamond on James Allen.

Is it expensive? Yes
Is it necessary? No, but if you can afford a big diamond go for it.

Tip: girls don't really care about the specs. They care about the carat size. Smh
Posted via RS Mobile

Alby 02-19-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special K (Post 8420295)
Tip: girls don't really care about the specs. They care about the carat size. Smh
Posted via RS Mobile

i beg to differ when their diamond is yellow with a big noticeable inclusion.

HondaGuy 02-20-2014 07:42 AM

^^ Agreed!! Carat size is one thing but when she sees her friends/coworkers/other shops as comparison or even advice from others...having a unclear/cloudy, inner cracks, "bird poo" (black dot specs) diamond, it looks bad on her and yourself.

Knew someone who spent $2000 or so for a one carat and when I saw it, it was a bunch of small cloudy rocks scattered onto the ring totalling up to one carat.
That is not one carat to me...sorry.
Not saying you have to spend a lot, just be smart and knowledgable...
Find a high clarity and good color first, then think what carat/size pending your budget.

I looked at many local shops before finally deciding a custom engagement and wedding bands in Asia, since I know ppl over there and have access to fly over and bring back.
I did speak to Sandy @ Ben Moss Metrotown and shes knowledgable and gives fair pricing. Look for canadian diamonds, oftentimes they have plenty of selection, grades and prices.

Dont forget to ask if GIA certified...mine did. Full certificate approved and guaranteed.

Good luck!
Posted via RS Mobile

Alby 02-20-2014 02:46 PM

^ YES. GIA certified and get it appraised for insurance and traveling papers/purposes.

Gnomes 02-20-2014 04:21 PM

Saw this at that "F'ed up stuff what makes you laugh" thread. If you want the coles note, skip to 2:40 mark

Special K 02-20-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alby (Post 8420299)
i beg to differ when their diamond is yellow with a big noticeable inclusion.

For me I went with VS2 / excellent / F / 1.01 ct with < 0.5 in the HCA calculator. One of my friends went IF :ahwow:

Either way your future wife should be happy with whatever you pick. My advice is propose with the diamond (with a ring mold clip) and let her pick the setting later.
Posted via RS Mobile

Special K 02-20-2014 05:02 PM

Premier Diamond and Jewelry Community | PriceScope

Do your own research.
Posted via RS Mobile

tiger_handheld 02-20-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special K (Post 8420295)

Posted via RS Mobile

Show me one girl as such, and I'll show you 10 that are opposite.

I've been given the specs already: VVS1 , D/E , platinum

On Topic: There is a tiffany ring finder app for folks on Iphone. How do I know you ask? It magically appeared on my phone day..

winson604 02-21-2014 12:50 AM

Just got an engagement ring + 2 wedding bands from Rare Investments located in the World Trade Centre at Canada place. GIA certified and custom made and I'm very happy so far.

Majestic12 02-21-2014 09:33 PM

From my research, I found that buying from the US let me get a better stone, at a better price, than I would have been able to get here. But... the dollar has been suffering lately, so that may no longer be the case. If it gets up to par again, might be something to consider.

Personally, if I HAD to choose somewhere local, I wouldn't go somewhere where you know the name from advertising. I don't give a shit about ads or marketing or hype. I'd rather they just provide quality service and quality product, rather than charging a premium so they can afford shitty advertising or leases in Metrotown or at prime spots downtown.