REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Scuffles break out in HK as protesters hurl slurs, abuse at mainland Chinese tourists

Question for the people from HK, is this a serious issue amongst the majority of HK residents which is boiling up now or is it a small group which is been propelled by the media?

Quote:
Scores of protesters marched through Tsim Sha Tsui yesterday in an "anti-locust" campaign demanding the government curb mainland visitors.

Protesters said a massive influx of mainland visitors - dubbed "locusts" by critics, who accuse them of overwhelming the city and hogging its resources - had hit the livelihoods of locals.

During the 90-minute protest about 100 people marched from the Star Ferry pier to Canton Road, a street lined with luxury goods stores popular with mainlanders. The march got off to a tense start when scuffles broke out between protesters and people opposed to the demonstration. Police had to intervene.

The protesters waved placards and chanted slogans such as "go back to China" and "reclaim Hong Kong" as they marched. Some carried colonial-era flags, a popular symbol for those who want autonomy or independence for Hong Kong.

Some booed and shouted abuse at Putonghua-speaking passers-by. The protesters also shouted abuse at mainland customers inside shops. Some shoppers took pictures while others ignored them. But some Canton Road jewellery shops closed.

Shanghai visitor Ma He said the protesters were disrespectful. "Are they not Chinese themselves? I heard that Hong Kong people were educated and civilised. It seems I was wrong."

A visitor from Shenzhen said: "We are here to shop. It helps the economy of Hong Kong. I do not understand why they do not welcome us."

Protest convenor Ronald Leung Kam-shing said he was pleased with the response after organising the campaign online.

"We do not need political parties. Just through the internet we can get so many people to come out," he said. "I think the government should listen to our voice seriously. It has to stop allowing Chinese tourists into Hong Kong … We do not want them."

Among the protesters but keeping a low profile was primary school teacher Alpais Lam Wai-sze, who shot to fame for swearing at police officers over their handling of a Falun Gong protest.

A pro-Beijing group, Voice of Loving Hong Kong, staged a rival "Welcome to Hong Kong" campaign on Canton Road. About 10 members distributed leaflets wishing visitors a happy stay.

Tourism from the mainland has boomed as the nation's economy has grown and rules forcing visitors to join tour groups have been eased. Some 40.8 million mainland visitors came last year.
This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as Scuffles during protest over mainland tourists
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Speaking with my friends who frequent back and forth, it's a real problem.

Personally when I went to visit for a few weeks in 2012, I made TST my home base and you only really saw the luggage and crap like spitting close to the ferries and the mall there on water's edge (Harbor City?). That's understandable. When I went to Central/Admirality/CWB, again they were pretty much just near any shopping district.

The one place that I would say was "overrun" with Mainland Chinese was Ocean Park. But aside from the luggage rolling everywhere, it wasn't any skin off my back.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if one were to go through it day in and day out, that person might reach their breaking point pretty early.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

So in other words main-landers are coming in with money to hong kong and people from hk are complaining because they have it better than everywhere else in china because of previous british rule. Well im sorry to tell you but they're all Chinese at the end of the day. Thats pretty much the same as when everyone in the summer goes to kelowna / that area from vancouver for vacation. Pretty retarded if you ask me ... this comment is what made me laugh = "I think the government should listen to our voice seriously. It has to stop allowing Chinese tourists into Hong Kong … We do not want them." What a bunch of pompous pricks. You're ALL Chinese, live with it.
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
this thread; every year on RS

It's a mix of how things were better before 97 and current infrastructure is at/over capacity as every mainlander has made it their life goal to visit HK once.

Post colonial syndrome yo

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

A little bit of everything and put it togther you have things like this happening.

Apparently the HK government are forced to put up signs that tell Mainland tourists to not poop in public
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
Personally, I don't get this whole Chinese thing.
Then again, everyone got their own opinion. O well
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,170 Posts
It is a serious problem, but most people don't think like these idiots. I think most HK people want their identity and rights to be upheld, as per the Basic Law (the constitution created when PRC took over). However those rights are being taken away little by little, with no indication that it will do anything other than get worse as time goes on.

When I first came here in 2003, you probably wouldn't even know that Hong Kong was an SAR (although I never visited before). You wouldn't even see a PRC flag anywhere - the MTR only just started announcing station names in mandarin.

Little by little, PRC has been encroaching on Hong Kong culture, sometimes with tiny little changes (putting up PRC flags at government buildings), sometimes with more overt ones (like playing the PRC anthem before news broadcasts, putting up a huge Peoples Liberation Army logo on their building right at the harbor) and sometimes with major ones (allowing a LOT more mainland visitors which is what is causing the most issues on HKers daily lives)

But there have been even more attempts, such as trying to sneak in a compulsory "national identity education" curriculum into elementary school (basically brainwashing kids to love PRC) and the biggest one of all - putting off universal suffrage time and time again, despite it being in the constitution.

There are many more issues, but I try not to pay attention to the negative things that I have absolutely no control over. I have stopped going to TST and MK unless I absolutely have to, and just try to ignore it. If it gets to the point where it can't be ignored, and living in HK is like living in China, then I guess I will have to consider leaving
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,170 Posts
Based on the way you write, I don't know if I am wasting my time responding, but here goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurochevy View Post
So in other words main-landers are coming in with money to hong kong and people from hk are complaining because they have it better than everywhere else in china because of previous british rule.
The financial benefit of all these tourists only goes to the top few conglomerates who control the tourism and luxury goods industry. If you don't sell the very few things these tourists are interested in (luxury goods, cosmetics, and baby formula), you not only see NO benefit from it, you are actually priced out of existence because rent in these areas gets hiked up so high.

As for the second part of that comment, it doesn't even make sense so I won't address it.
Quote:
Well im sorry to tell you but they're all Chinese at the end of the day.
Don't get ethnicity mixed up with nationality. Hong Kong people didn't become "chinese" (nationality) until just recently. And even then, it's supposed to be "one country, two systems". It worked quite well for the first 15 years or so, but everything is changing despite it being against the constitution.

As far as ethnicity, there is no single "chinese" ethnicity. Not that ethnicity is relevant in any way in these matters.
Quote:
Thats pretty much the same as when everyone in the summer goes to kelowna / that area from vancouver for vacation.
Hong Kong has a population of about 7 million. Last year, 50 million tourists came to the city. They expect this to go up to 70 million within 3 years. That is 10X the population, visiting the most densely populated areas in the world. This isn't working. This is NOTHING like Kelowna getting a few thousand tourists from Vancouver in the summer.
Quote:
Pretty retarded if you ask me ... this comment is what made me laugh = "I think the government should listen to our voice seriously. It has to stop allowing Chinese tourists into Hong Kong … We do not want them." What a bunch of pompous pricks. You're ALL Chinese, live with it.
I agree, these people make some pretty bad comments. Again, they are not supposed to have any influence here until STARTING in 2047. This is according to the constitution. This is causing people a lot of issues in their daily lives, and it's only going to get worse unless the government backs off.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Quote:
So in other words main-landers are coming in with money to hong kong and people from hk are complaining because they have it better than everywhere else in china because of previous british rule. Well im sorry to tell you but they're all Chinese at the end of the day. Thats pretty much the same as when everyone in the summer goes to kelowna / that area from vancouver for vacation. Pretty retarded if you ask me ... this comment is what made me laugh = "I think the government should listen to our voice seriously. It has to stop allowing Chinese tourists into Hong Kong … We do not want them." What a bunch of pompous pricks. You're ALL Chinese, live with it.
Hong Kong people do not see themselves as the same kind of Chinese as the Mainland Chinese. Perhaps it may be due to a British influence when Hong Kong colony was a colony which makes Hong Kongers think they are "westernized" in their lifestyle and way of thinking.
Do they think that they are more civilized than mainland Chinese? Perhaps.

I was born and raised in Vancouver so the stereotypes about mainlanders that I mention here are all from Hong Kong people who I have met in my life. I have seen some of these stereotypical behaviours in the Lower Mainland:

No care for personal hygiene. Adults spitting everywhere. Parents taking their kids out for a potty break using a garbage can on a street or other public area. Example: There was a story last year about a mother taking her kid for a pee in a garbage can in Richmond centre mall. Mainland Chinese? Perhaps.

No fashion sense: A friend from Hong Kong has told me that he has seen a guy wearing a suit and a pair of slippers, while using a wheelbarrow to do construction work in China. Seriously.

Consumer Spending based solely on cash.

Questionable taste in terms of modifying their cars.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Based on the way you write, I don't know if I am wasting my time responding, but here goes
The financial benefit of all these tourists only goes to the top few conglomerates who control the tourism and luxury goods industry. If you don't sell the very few things these tourists are interested in (luxury goods, cosmetics, and baby formula), you not only see NO benefit from it, you are actually priced out of existence because rent in these areas gets hiked up so high.

As for the second part of that comment, it doesn't even make sense so I won't address it.

Don't get ethnicity mixed up with nationality. Hong Kong people didn't become "chinese" (nationality) until just recently. And even then, it's supposed to be "one country, two systems". It worked quite well for the first 15 years or so, but everything is changing despite it being against the constitution.

As far as ethnicity, there is no single "chinese" ethnicity. Not that ethnicity is relevant in any way in these matters.

Hong Kong has a population of about 7 million. Last year, 50 million tourists came to the city. By They expect this to go up to 70 million within 3 years. That is 10X the population, visiting the most densely populated areas in the world. This isn't working. This is NOTHING like Kelowna getting a few thousand tourists from Vancouver in the summer.

I agree, these people make some pretty bad comments. Again, they are not supposed to have any influence here until STARTING in 2047. This is according to the constitution. This is causing people a lot of issues in their daily lives, and it's only going to get worse unless the government backs off.
As for the rent thing = same problem we have here with chinese / asian rich people coming and investing money here and buying up all the property, literally pretty much exactly the same if thats the way you put it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Hong Kong people do not see themselves as the same kind of Chinese as the Mainland Chinese. Perhaps it may be due to a British influence when Hong Kong colony was a colony which makes Hong Kongers think they are "westernized" in their lifestyle and way of thinking.
Do they think that they are more civilized than mainland Chinese? Perhaps.

I was born and raised in Vancouver so the stereotypes about mainlanders that I mention here are all from Hong Kong people who I have met in my life. I have witnessed some of these stereotypes in life:

No care for personal hygiene. Adults spitting everywhere. Parents taking their kids out for a potty break using a garbage can on a street or other public area. Example: There was a story last year about a mother taking her kid for a pee in a garbage can in Richmond centre mall. Mainland Chinese? Perhaps.

No fashion sense: A friend from Hong Kong has told me that he has seen a guy wearing a suit and a pair of slippers, while using a wheelbarrow to do construction work in China Seriously.

Consumer Spending based solely on cash.

Questionable taste in terms of modifying their cars.

Saying HK people don't consider themselves Chinese ? ..well guess what why not form an independent nation then from the get go instead of going back to chinese rule.

Also next person - the fact you mention the richmond peeing thing and even remotely say its a "mainlander perhaps" is kind of funny. I'm sorry but does HK belong to china ? = yes ... its inevitable that china wants to make hk more like the rest of china they're communist gov what do you expect. The only way to seperate is to some how become your own country. North and South korea = 2 different countries. Best comparison is Quebec wanting to form its own country from Canada. Quebec has different laws criminal and civil. Biggest difference from us and china? we arn't communist and wish to impose english all over quebec, we just let them be and live in their own little world. However they still are Canadian when it comes down to it.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
I spent two weeks in Hong Kong & a couple of days in Macau in 2011. As an oblivious brown-guy tourist, I knew very little about the difference between Chinese mainlanders and those raised in colonial Hong Kong before going in. Those differences, however, became readily apparent upon spending time in Macau and visiting the luxury shops around TST.

I don't want to get into specifics, but it was easy to observe many instances of a lack of culture & social awareness among the mainland set.

It wore me down enough to the point that I got into a confrontation with someone over cutting a long line-up. Not something I would normally do, but the egregious nature of this person's behaviour set me off for some reason.

I can't imagine living through it on a daily basis, and in some way, seeing your own society start to degrade.

With that being said, I'm not sure that this type of protest will bring about change. If anything, it makes colonial HK'ers look no better than the populace they are protesting against.

Kev
Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #12

Quote:

Saying HK people don't consider themselves Chinese ? ..well guess what why not form an independent nation then from the get go instead of going back to chinese rule.
And you think the british didn't thought of that? China would just waltz their PLA across a 50m river while Britain would have to sail their forces half way around the world. Falklands 2.0?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,209 Times in 1,394 Posts
From the perspective of someone that went to HK for the first time as a CBC this past summer, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

But when some mainlanders got on the bus, my aunt (who lives there) complained to me in private.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
How bad is TST & MK now? ... to the point where you have to avoid them?

The last time I went back in 2010, I did not see much out of the oridinary besides the occasional circle squats in the middle of the mall.

Has Hong Kong really gotten that bad over the last 4 years? or just certain tourists areas of Hong Kong?
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #15
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I think this have more to do with their supplies, benfits is being used by people in China.

I heard from my aunt in Hong Kong that some of the everyday goods is constantly sold out because people in China bought them all.

Just image if you go to T&T Superstore, Saves on and you find out the items you want to buy is constantly sold out(canned foods, pop, milk, butter, bread, meat.....) and you have to drive another 40 to 50mins to get them. This happens every single day for a few years. I am sure you will be piss too.

Is not just happening in Hong Kong, is happening in here as well. Once I was at Superstore this dude was complaining because some people were buying some items more than 4 items (I guess it was on sale and there is a limit of 4 item per person) and the person who broke the rule was as Asian. Basically the manager have to come in and stop the Asian from buying more than 4 items. Being Asian the guy fought back.

Is going to be a problem in Vancouver as well, that's why the feds are trying to stop it. Last year they took 4 jobs out that international student can use it to apply for citizenship. Now they are looking for ways for stop from people coming here and have baby thus granting them automatically Canadian citizenship.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I think this have more to do with their supplies, benfits is being used by people in China.

I heard from my aunt in Hong Kong that some of the everyday goods is constantly sold out because people in China bought them all.

Just image if you go to T&T Superstore, Saves on and you find out the items you want to buy is constantly sold out(canned foods, pop, milk, butter, bread, meat.....) and you have to drive another 40 to 50mins to get them. This happens every single day for a few years. I am sure you will be piss too.

Is not just happening in Hong Kong, is happening in here as well. Once I was at Superstore this dude was complaining because some people were buying some items more than 4 items (I guess it was on sale and there is a limit of 4 item per person) and the person who broke the rule was as Asian. Basically the manager have to come in and stop the Asian from buying more than 4 items. Being Asian the guy fought back.

Is going to be a problem in Vancouver as well, that's why the feds are trying to stop it. Last year they took 4 jobs out that international student can use it to apply for citizenship. Now they are looking for ways for stop from people coming here and have baby thus granting them automatically Canadian citizenship.
How is this a legitimate reason to hate on mainlanders though? It just sounds like Hong Kongers are unwilling to adapt. They had it too good for the last 100 years and now a little inconvenience they quickly jump to blame the scapegoat.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #17
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
I was born and raised in Vancouver so the stereotypes about mainlanders that I mention here are all from Hong Kong people who I have met in my life. I have seen some of these stereotypical behaviours in the Lower Mainland:
But that's the point, are these stereotypes an accurate depiction of what the reality is? Just strictly speaking about personal hygiene, how many cases do we have actually have, per number of Chinese (from China) that immigrate to Canada?
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

lol. no comments.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
As for the rent thing = same problem we have here with chinese / asian rich people coming and investing money here and buying up all the property, literally pretty much exactly the same if thats the way you put it.

Also next person - the fact you mention the richmond peeing thing and even remotely say its a "mainlander perhaps" is kind of funny. I'm sorry but does HK belong to china ? = yes ... its inevitable that china wants to make hk more like the rest of china they're communist gov what do you expect. The only way to seperate is to some how become your own country. North and South korea = 2 different countries. Best comparison is Quebec wanting to form its own country from Canada. Quebec has different laws criminal and civil. Biggest difference from us and china? we arn't communist and wish to impose english all over quebec, we just let them be and live in their own little world. However they still are Canadian when it comes down to it.
\

Oh wee, what a genius, form your own nation and refuse to be part of China. Too bad politics aren't so black and white, that's like saying if Tibet could break off and form it's own little place but the PRC refuses and will drive a tank through the people if it has to in order to hold Tibet.

Last time I checked, HK still has it's own separate laws and policies.(Unless things changed recently) The bigger issue seems to be the general HK population who are disgusted with how Mainland Chinese conduct themselves.

Kind of like how some folks aren't too fond of a handful of Americans conducting themselves while vacationing in their country, but when you have swarms and swarms of the population coming in, I see how it can be a problem.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #20
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobbt View Post
\

Oh wee, what a genius, form your own nation and refuse to be part of China. Too bad politics aren't so black and white, that's like saying if Tibet could break off and form it's own little place but the PRC refuses and will drive a tank through the people if it has to in order to hold Tibet.

Last time I checked, HK still has it's own separate laws and policies.(Unless things changed recently) The bigger issue seems to be the general HK population who are disgusted with how Mainland Chinese conduct themselves.

Kind of like how some folks aren't too fond of a handful of Americans conducting themselves while vacationing in their country, but when you have swarms and swarms of the population coming in, I see how it can be a problem.

I never said it would be easy to form your own nation
Old 02-18-2014, 05:37 PM   #21

^Only way to form your own nation peacefully is to get kicked out by one aka singapore

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 02-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Everyone who's from HK or been overseas enough would understand how HK people think they're above Mainland people. "Apparently" HK people is culturally, morally, and ethically superior than Mainland Chinese. They may never openly admit it, but they know it's always on the back of their mind.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #23
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
I never said it would be easy to form your own nation
You sure did make it sound pretty easy with a knee jerk comment
Old 02-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
How is this a legitimate reason to hate on mainlanders though? It just sounds like Hong Kongers are unwilling to adapt. They had it too good for the last 100 years and now a little inconvenience they quickly jump to blame the scapegoat.
there is a reason why they are called locusts, they come in swarms and take away your resources

its not just food; hospitals and schools are also resources being taken away

ask someone from sheung shui how they feel about mainlanders, they have it the worst
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #25

Honger are just jealous at the fact that the country people they used to make fun of are now richer and more powerful than they are. Instead of working hard to regain their status they start blaming every inconvenience and negativity on the Mainlanders.

I can agree that the difference of culture the Mainlanders bring into Hong Kong can turn some faces, but its no reason to attack an entire demographic.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: