REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Moving to a different province. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692966-moving-different-province.html)

ImFlying 02-19-2014 08:34 PM

Moving to a different province.

Hey guys, Im moving to Alberta next week for work, Ill be there on a year contract. I'm recently got a speeding ticket, 65 in a 60, this should put me in 5 points on my license. And since I'm on my N, I will probably be put on a suspension. I disputed the ticket hoping to get a reduced fine since I don't start working next week and money is tight. What I'm wondering is, once I move to Alberta and switch over my license; what happens when my BC license gets suspended? Does my Alberta license get suspended too?

evlee 02-19-2014 08:42 PM

i believe if you apply for a alberta DL its different from BC so no problem as long as you dont drive back to BC

zulutango 02-19-2014 08:42 PM

It should. Unless things have changed, you can't be suspended in one Province and have a valid DL in another. Maybe talk with someone at the MV Branch about your situation.

sho_bc 02-20-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8420206)
It should. Unless things have changed, you can't be suspended in one Province and have a valid DL in another.

Things have changed. :) Seen it several times in the last few years.

Soundy 02-20-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8420206)
It should. Unless things have changed, you can't be suspended in one Province and have a valid DL in another. Maybe talk with someone at the MV Branch about your situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 8420776)

We gots dem paved roads over here in the Big City, too - y'all oughtta see it sometime.

G 02-20-2014 05:00 PM

In order to get a DL in Alberta you will need to show your records from BC + Insurance etc.

zulutango 02-20-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 8420776)

Used to stop the guys who fled BC to Alberta & got a DL there but were actually BC residents or kept coming back & forth. I also always ran drivers on the BC database, even if they had another valid DL and many showed up as having a BC DL as well. When I found this I called the Alberta MVB and told them what was going on. They said the Alberta DL would be cancelled on the spot & was no longer valid. There is also civil case law in BC that if you have a illegally issued Alberta DL and are involved in a crash, your Alberta private insurance will NOt cover you as your licence is not valid.

Here in BC you are asked if you are under suspension in any other jurisdiction, when they issue a DL. They also tell you that it is an offence to hold a DL in any other jurisdiction and you are required to surrender your OOP Dl on the spot. I would assume Alberta would do something similar?

rriggi 02-20-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImFlying (Post 8420204)
Hey guys, Im moving to Alberta next week for work, Ill be there on a year contract. I'm recently got a speeding ticket, 65 in a 60, this should put me in 5 points on my license. And since I'm on my N, I will probably be put on a suspension. I disputed the ticket hoping to get a reduced fine since I don't start working next week and money is tight. What I'm wondering is, once I move to Alberta and switch over my license; what happens when my BC license gets suspended? Does my Alberta license get suspended too?

I just got a dispute court date in the mail from a ticket 2 years ago, system is so backed up.

I'm prepared as hell, all sorts of paperwork to explain my lack of front plate on that very night.

Anyways, come back here in 2 years and ask for guidance from RS. Points are issued after dispute process is settled by a judge. (You deserve the suspension btw, its why GLP exists)

1exotic 02-21-2014 12:33 AM

65km in a 60? is that even 'speeding' .. pretty sure flow of traffic is usually faster than the speed limit.
Or unless that's a typo and you meant 165km.

If you disputed it, good. It might take up to 1 year or even 1 1/2 years before you get a court date back from ICBC. Disputing a ticket is like you never got it almost, so nothing will happen for the next little while after you have to go to court.

Judges are pretty slack here, they will probably drop the ticket over a measly 5km.

So you should be good..

zulutango 02-21-2014 04:48 AM

A VT for 5 k over..........????????????????????????? Must be more to the story. As far as the missing plate goes....you may have an explanation but there is no legal excuse for not having your issued front plate there. The JP swill have to find you guilty if the plate was missing....but they can adjust the fine $$ as they see fit.....maybe down to $1???

wing_woo 02-21-2014 11:36 AM

Maybe he meant 65 in a 50 zone as many people tend to use 60 as the speed limit here anyways.

zulutango 02-21-2014 03:43 PM

In some circles, I was considered to be one of the last of the Traffic Dinosaurs who would ticket their mother on the way to their father's funeral....but even I never issued a speeding ticket for less than 20 over...UNLESS it was weather/conditions related. Under normal circumstances I can't see any Cop giving a ticket for only a genuine 5 over...

T4RAWR 02-21-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rriggi (Post 8421035)
I just got a dispute court date in the mail from a ticket 2 years ago, system is so backed up.

not directing this comment at you but the system is so backed up because fuck tards try to dispute every single offence hoping the officer doesn't show even if they're guilty plain as day.

dared3vil0 02-21-2014 08:41 PM

If you got a ticket for 5km over the limit, you were either a massive douche bag to the cop, or he was having an extremely bad day and decided to take it out on you. If it was the former, you deserved it, if it was the latter, sucks to be you.

ImFlying 02-22-2014 12:44 AM

I was going 65 in a 60, no mistake. 5 over the limit is still 5 over the limit, no doubt, the ticket was fair. I usually stay exactly at the limit because I knew if I got another ticket I would get a suspension but I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to my speedo while going downhill on the highway. Oh well, not the end of my life.
It was also issued on the 29th of october so maybe the office was trying to meet the quota? I wasn't a dbag or anything, neither was the office. He was really nice, plus didn't give me an extra ticket for not having front plates so Im okay with that.

v_tec 02-22-2014 12:50 AM

Wait, OP you been driving as a N driver for over 7 years?? http://www.revscene.net/forums/69122...ays-flash.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImFlying (Post 8382948)
So this morning, while driving to work; being tired and all(coffee hasnt kicked in yet) I accidentally ran a red light. Thank god no one was coming through the other side. While halfway through the intersection, I noticed it was red so adrenaline kicked in, pulled over to the side afterwards to make sure I was okay. I didn't see or notice any flash though, so did I get caught by the red light camera? I was really spooked, I've been driving for over 7 years now and I've never been in an accident nor pulled over except for an incident where my fogs were on. This happened at 4:30am in North Van at a what would usually be busy intersection.

ImFlying 02-22-2014 02:43 AM

Kinda, posted that on my brothers behalf/we use the same account.