REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Things to do in Vancouver ? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692988-things-do-vancouver.html)

heisenberg 02-20-2014 10:25 AM

Things to do in Vancouver ?

I don't know if a thread like this has been made yet but after living in Vancouver for most of my life I can't think of anything to do with friends anymore. Anyone have a secret get away they'd like to share ? Activities or interesting restaurants would be great! I won't hesitate sharing also when I try new things.
Posted via RS Mobile

stewie 02-20-2014 10:29 AM

Bored in Vancouver

There's usually some kind of event going on every week...art shows...festivals...random stuff etc
Posted via RS Mobile

4444 02-20-2014 12:43 PM

vancouver is a boring city.

you make of it what you will, but unless you're rich, it's hard to consistently go out every weekend, that is, unless you like living paycheck to paycheck or have someone funding your living cost (parents).

saveth 02-20-2014 01:06 PM

In the summer I go fishing and in the winter I go snowboarding.
Posted via RS Mobile

m3thods 02-20-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8420693)

you make of it what you will, but unless you're rich, it's hard to consistently go out every weekend, that is, unless you like living paycheck to paycheck or have someone funding your living cost (parents).

Different strokes for sure.

Personally my free time is split between hikes, ice/roller hockey leagues, golf, and photography outings. Vancouver offers plenty for my needs. I wouldn't ever think Vancouver is boring considering what's within driving limits.

Eatman 02-20-2014 01:46 PM

You and your buddy could always find an RV and cook meth in

this model

http://www.rvhotlinecanada.com/4280/Picture%20143.jpg

Iceman-19 02-20-2014 01:55 PM

Nothing, move somewhere else.

GS8 02-20-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Watching The Price is Right today and there was a contestant playing for a trip to Vancouver. 6 nights @ Pan Pacific.

There were no activities / events as part of this package. Just the hotel stay and flights, possibly limo pickup.

The price of the trip was $6848 :heckno:

Iceman-19 02-20-2014 02:16 PM

Hahahaha. Sucks to be them!

spades 02-20-2014 02:51 PM

join LYFE event and have Musical High Tea with VALENTINA

fliptuner 02-20-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8420729)
The price of the trip was $6848 :heckno:

dat tax :lawl:

RRxtar 02-20-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

I hear and see this a lot. People always say the city they are from is boring. My question is always "What would you do if you lived in a different city?"

Generally what they mean to say is "I only do a few things and have limited interests and Im bored of doing the same things over and over" Most people who cant find anything to do only go for dinner or boozing and have a small social circle.

Expand your horizons.

MG1 02-20-2014 03:43 PM

RS Mini Meets, LOL.

Seriously, there are tonnes of things to do. So many clubs (sports, crafts, etc.) Multicultural events. Volunteer work. Vancouver area is a nature lover's paradise. Wildlife here is pretty darn good. Hiking, cycling, sailing, skiing, canoeing, hunting, etc. Stroll through the many neighbourhoods of the city. Yaletown, Gastown, Little Italy, Kerrisdale, Londsdale Quay, Sapperton, New West, Chinatown, etc. I would never get bored. It takes money and lots of time off (If only I didn't have to work to pay off the mortgage). On top of this, we are surrounded by many smaller communities that have a lot to offer.

bloodmack 02-20-2014 07:39 PM

smoke weed.

haymura 02-20-2014 07:49 PM

OP probably feels like there's not much to do because of the weather as well. I've been sitting in my computer for about 3 hours trying to come up with things to do or places to go and i honestly came up with none (at least without spending money) but it was only because of weather permitting. Im sure come summer time you'll have a different perspective as there are more things to do, more places to go, and lots of events happening.

Mind you, i felt like this back then and this is why i also decided to move to a different country for about a year. but even then i felt bored after a couple of months. so IMO its not so much the location but more of a personal preference.

tiger_handheld 02-20-2014 07:59 PM

Thanks OP for posting such thread.

Copy list when adding please..

Summer:
- english bay
- robson / granville
- UBC / spanish banks
- Seawall - biking/running/e-scooter
- Ice-cream/gelato runs
- Grouse Grind / Deep Cove / Chief
- Horseshoebay (sp?) - boating / picnic
- Bowen Island - picnic
- Dear Lake Park - boating
- Splash Down / Cultus

Anytime
- Watermania / Zone Bowling
- Go Karting
- Q1 / Espot
- Movies

Winter
- Grouse/ Cypress / Seymour - snowboarding / snow showing

Iceman-19 02-20-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8420945)
Thanks OP for posting such thread.

Copy list when adding please..

Summer:
- english bay (gay)
- robson / granville (gay)
- UBC / spanish banks (dont bring cars, mod cops will get you)
- Seawall - biking/running/e-scooter (GAY)
- Ice-cream/gelato runs (can do that anywhere)
- Grouse Grind / Deep Cove / Chief (gay, chief isnt in the lower mainland)
- Horseshoebay (sp?) - boating / picnic (gay)
- Bowen Island - picnic (gay)
- Dear Lake Park - boating (Deer*, gay)
- Splash Down / Cultus (not lower mainland)

Anytime
- Watermania / Zone Bowling (Revs ftw)
- Go Karting (fun)
- Q1 / Espot (What if you are white?)
- Movies (can do this anywhere)

Winter
- Grouse/ Cypress / Seymour - snowboarding (only awesome thing you posted)/ snow showing (GAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY)

:toot:

rslater 02-20-2014 10:01 PM

Scout Magazine should keep you busy enough.

twitchyzero 02-20-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haymura (Post 8420941)
OP probably feels like there's not much to do because of the weather as well. I've been sitting in my computer for about 3 hours trying to come up with things to do or places to go and i honestly came up with none (at least without spending money) but it was only because of weather permitting. Im sure come summer time you'll have a different perspective as there are more things to do, more places to go, and lots of events happening.

agreed...i guess it's just a part of living in Canada where your outdoor activities are limited to spring/summer if you dont like being in the rain. Aside from hitting the slopes it does seem limited. I'd love to hear what others are doing this time of the year outdoors. Hopefully nothing that will break the bank like buying a truck and go offroading. Are there decent hunting opportunities in the Valley?

time to move to southern california...but away from the LA smog :okay:

meowjinboo 02-21-2014 01:58 AM

I wish we had a better music scene.

Young people here only like edm and only big names come through the city for the old timers.
Posted via RS Mobile

Hondaracer 02-21-2014 06:31 AM

Quote:

Spent a week in Montreal/Quebec City two different occasions. Went out every night doing different things, same shit as Van

Spent a week in Scottsdale twice, better night life scene, less to do during the day -1

Spent a week in LA last year, outside of major attractions and spending enough $$$ to get anywhere do anything, less accessible than Van

So where is more interesting? Vegas? Europe?

Same shit everywhere people just tend to have shittier attitudes here and clubbing fuckin blows anyways

Beer/food scene is pretty good in Van and there's enough joints where clowns/idiots don't go to have fun and variation every weekend.
Posted via RS Mobile

4444 02-21-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8421153)
Spent a week in Montreal/Quebec City two different occasions. Went out every night doing different things, same shit as Van

Spent a week in Scottsdale twice, better night life scene, less to do during the day -1

Spent a week in LA last year, outside of major attractions and spending enough $$$ to get anywhere do anything, less accessible than Van

So where is more interesting? Vegas? Europe?

Same shit everywhere people just tend to have shittier attitudes here and clubbing fuckin blows anyways

Beer/food scene is pretty good in Van and there's enough joints where clowns/idiots don't go to have fun and variation every weekend.
Posted via RS Mobile

ironic that you say this, as I've spent time in scottsdale, had great times (though the dessert is a boring place...)

LA, so much more to do, so much more nightlife, amazing restuarants, places to drink, the fact that you can go out in shorts/tshirt or jeans/tshirt makes a lot of things much more easily done

Europe - that's the one (and asia) - much cheaper to go out and drink, much better social scene to meet people, not trying to pick up anyone (i'm happily with someone, couldn't be happier), arts, culture.

i live 100m from some of the most amazing art and culture in the world, every night i can go out to meet up with people, go to museums, concerts, etc.

i'll give it to you, if you like hiking, vancouver is great... i'm just not into hiking, same story with anything on snow, would rather be warm, preferably at hte beach.

vancouver has hte name 'no-fun-couver' for a reason

Iceman-19 02-21-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8421366)
ironic that you say this, as I've spent time in scottsdale, had great times (though the dessert is a boring place...) :whistle:

LA, so much more to do, so much more nightlife, amazing restuarants, places to drink, the fact that you can go out in shorts/tshirt or jeans/tshirt makes a lot of things much more easily done

Europe - that's the one (and asia) - much cheaper to go out and drink, much better social scene to meet people, not trying to pick up anyone (i'm happily with someone, couldn't be happier), arts, culture.

i live 100m from some of the most amazing art and culture in the world, every night i can go out to meet up with people, go to museums, concerts, etc.

i'll give it to you, if you like hiking, vancouver is great... i'm just not into hiking, same story with anything on snow, would rather be warm, preferably at hte beach.

vancouver has hte name 'no-fun-couver' for a reason

:hotbaby:

RRxtar 02-21-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8420777)
Most people who cant find anything to do only go for dinner or boozing and have a small social circle.

Expand your horizons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8421366)

Do I win?

You say Vancouver is too cold and you can't go outside in shorts and a Tshirt and you'd rather be at the beach. Pretty sure most of North America and Europe get substantially harder and longer winters than Vancouver.

Go get some fresh air

meme405 02-21-2014 02:55 PM

Vancouver is the same as anywhere else.

I agree with RRxtar people just get lulled into this going out for dinner/bar/club/drinking all the time and thats all they do. If these are the only activities you do, of course you are going to get bored. Besides a change in environment there is really nothing any other city offers that Vancouver does not have.

On top of that there is plenty that we do have that they do NOT. As cliche as it is good luck hitting the slopes and the beach anywhere in NA on the same day, like you can so regularly in Van.

Take up mountain biking or trail riding, go play some soccer or football with some buddies. Fucking shit just go throw a frisby for god sakes.

On any given day I can think of a 1000 things I want to do, unfortunately with work and other engagements I rarely have enough time.