REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693055-question.html)

ShadowBun 02-23-2014 10:22 PM

Question

Driving tonight and saw 2 polices each holding a radar gun (I assume).
What's the purpose of 2 polices holding 2 radar guns? Shouldn't 1 be enough? :suspicious:

dared3vil0 02-23-2014 11:10 PM

...Why do you care?

ShadowBun 02-23-2014 11:36 PM

curiosity

zulutango 02-24-2014 06:02 AM

Maybe because they both wanted to be able to track more than 1 vehicle at a time...instead of taking turns....or maybe because they wanted to monitor speeds from different directions from the same position? Very common to do in stationary operations. I also used to work operations where we used both Laser & Radar.

dared3vil0 02-24-2014 06:41 PM

Or perhaps they thought one of the guns wasn't calibrated and were checking it? Or is their an actual procedure for that? Zulu?

ProBoostin 02-24-2014 07:29 PM

Calibration for a radar gun is usually by hitting a metal prong that vibrates at a frequency of I think 66.4 MPH IIRC and then pointing the gun at the prong and it should read the same. That's for a stalker radar gun but not sure if the police use the same. I'm assuming they do as they're probably the most used radar guns out.

Zulu can correct me but I assume lasers are on a tripod and radars are handheld?

Brianrietta 02-24-2014 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProBoostin (Post 8423531)
Zulu can correct me but I assume lasers are on a tripod and radars are handheld?

By tripod do you mean sharks?

zulutango 02-24-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProBoostin (Post 8423531)
Calibration for a radar gun is usually by hitting a metal prong that vibrates at a frequency of I think 66.4 MPH IIRC and then pointing the gun at the prong and it should read the same. That's for a stalker radar gun but not sure if the police use the same. I'm assuming they do as they're probably the most used radar guns out.

Calibration is done by the manufacturer's service centre when the Radar is defective. Testing the speed reading & display ability is done with tuning forks that are tuned to display a pre-determined speed. They are struck so that they vibrate & then held in front of the antenna. The early Lasers like the LTI 20-20 came with tripods but could be hand held by the pistol grip. Later ones mostly came as hand held but could also be used on a tripod. The tripod steadies the Laser & that gives a quicker speed display.