REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   4x4's and the Great Outdoors (https://www.revscene.net/forums/4x4s-great-outdoors_226/)
-   -   New BC Laws for Off-road Vehicles (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693071-new-bc-laws-off-road-vehicles.html)

Soundy 02-24-2014 11:07 PM

New BC Laws for Off-road Vehicles

ORV legislation will keep B.C.’s backcountry safe

Quote:

For Immediate Release
2014FLNR0016-000217
Feb. 24, 2014
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

ORV legislation will keep B.C.’s backcountry safe

VICTORIA
– Bill 13, the Off Road Vehicle Act introduced today, promises certainty, safety and regulatory structure for thousands of off-road enthusiasts.

The proposed Off Road Vehicle – or ORV – Act replaces the 40-year-old Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act with a modern management structure, designed to align with existing regulatory regimes at minimal cost.

Increased use of quads, snowmobiles and other ORVs has helped British Columbians get out and enjoy the beauty of the province’s backcountry. Bill 13 will help ensure these vehicles are driven in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.

The act, if passed and brought into force, will:
· Establish a one-time registration system specifically designed to integrate with the pre-existing structure of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia’s vehicle registry, reducing implementation costs. ORVs will have to be registered and display a clearly visible number plate before they can be operated on Crown or other public land.
· Allow the development of regulations on the rules of operation (such as wearing helmets), safety standards and conditions of use for a wide range of modern ORVs, including snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles or “quads”, dirt bikes and utility terrain vehicles.
· Assist in identifying stolen or abandoned ORVs, by requiring ORVs to be registered in a database that is accessible to peace officers at all times.
· Provide officers with more effective enforcement tools to target the small number of irresponsible ORV owners that endanger others or damage sensitive habitat. This includes the ability to stop and inspect ORVs for violations, seize an ORV for safety or evidence purposes, and increase the maximum fine for offences from $500 to $5,000.

Included in the proposed ORV legislation is an amendment to the Special Accounts Appropriation and Control Act establishing the ORV Trail Management Sub-account. This will ease the process of providing future investments directly into developing and maintaining trails, delivering lasting benefits to the ORV tourism industry in rural communities.

The proposed ORV Act is the result of extensive consultation, and represents a fair compromise for all user groups. Implementation, including registration provisions, is anticipated in the fall of 2014.

Quotes:

Steve Thomson, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations ─

“Whether hunting, fishing, getting back to nature or just getting to work, many outdoor enthusiasts rely on off-road vehicles to augment their rural experience. The Off-Road Vehicle Act will secure the future of off-road vehicle use in a way that is self-sustaining, safe and environmentally responsible.”

Rhona Martin, president, Union of B.C. Municipalities –

“The framework set out in this legislation responds to a number of issues raised by local governments. Together, these new measures will increase safety, enhance community connectivity through trail networks, and safeguard the beauty and integrity of B.C.’s wilderness. The extensive consultation undertaken by the province on this issue has resulted in legislation that balances the interests of many different groups.”

Jeremy McCall, executive director, Outdoor Recreation Council of British Columbia –

“The announcement of the ORV legislation is a tremendous tribute to the dedicated members of non-government organizations who formed the Coalition for Licensing and Registration of Off Road Vehicles in 2002. The coalition published its 47 recommendations in 2006. Many of those individuals continue to assist the ministry with the feedback it needs to prepare this legislation. Among other benefits, this legislation will offer security of ownership and improved safety standards for the riders of ORVs and it will provide for higher standards of compliance and enforcement which will benefit non-motorized recreationists.”

Scott Benton, executive director, Grasslands Conservation Council of BC –

“The requirement for registration is the cornerstone for future management and enforcement of ORV activities and theft prevention. This legislation provides a solid platform to develop comprehensive regulations that will address safety, operator conduct and environmental protection in the future. The Grasslands Conservation Council of BC looks forward to working with the Province and others in developing the accompanying regulations. The Grassland Conservation Council of BC has been working with a coalition of 10 other interests towards improving the management of off road vehicles for over 10 years.”

Bob Ramsay, president, Canadian Off-Highway Vehicle Distributors Council –

“We are pleased that the Province of B.C. has taken this important measure to promote the safe and responsible use of Off Road Vehicles. The proposed ORV Act is designed to recognize existing vehicles while flexible enough to ensure new models can be accounted for as new designs become available.”

Quick Facts:

· The proposed ORV Act implements recommendations from the Off Road Vehicle Management Framework released in 2009, including one-time vehicle registration, operator safety rules and environmental protection measures.
· An estimated 200,000 ORVs are used in the province.
· Snowmobiles have been registered in British Columbia since the 1970s.
· British Columbia is currently one of the last provinces in Canada that does not require registration of off-road vehicles.
· ORVs are used in a variety of sectors in British Columbia, including farming, ranching, forestry, oil and gas, mining, sport, tourism, transportation and search and rescue.

Learn More:

To view a copy of the bill and view its progress through debate, visit: Bills | 2nd Session | 40th Parliament | Legislative Assembly of British Columbia

Media Contact:

Greig Bethel
Media Relations
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
250 356-5261

Connect with the Province of B.C. at: BC Newsroom

FS1992EG 02-25-2014 12:08 AM

Last province in Canada because it doesn't need such a program.

320icar 02-25-2014 01:29 AM

So you need plates and registration to even operate a dirt bike in the bush? Bullshit
Posted via RS Mobile

Zedbra 02-25-2014 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8423774)
So you need plates and registration to even operate a dirt bike in the bush? Bullshit
Posted via RS Mobile

And next up: charging you Provincial tax every time you sell your quad, sled, or dirt bike.

rriggi 02-25-2014 08:15 PM

I have a feeling this is something that will go largely ignored even if does get passed.

Soundy 02-25-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8423774)
Posted via RS Mobile

No, you'll need registration to operate on PUBLIC lands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8423801)
And next up: charging you Provincial tax every time you sell your quad, sled, or dirt bike.

You realize that similar requirements have been in place for snowmobiles for DECADES (since probably before most RSers were born), and somehow people still manage to get out sledding every winter?

Phil@rise 02-26-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8424174)
No, you'll need registration to operate on PUBLIC lands.

You realize that similar requirements have been in place for snowmobiles for DECADES (since probably before most RSers were born), and somehow people still manage to get out sledding every winter?

We are surrounded by crown and public land. Even areas leased by logging companies are in the end owned by the crown and the lumber rights are leased off. So unless your a rancher on your own land or own some acerage of your own or are tight with someone who does youre kinda fucked.
From what I recall in my much younger sledding days they only needed to be plated and registered if being operated on roadways (dirt or otherwise) and this was before it was possible to purchase personal liability insurance which has been possible for some time now but is much harder to enforce then what this new proposal suggests.

Soundy 02-26-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8424507)
So unless your a rancher on your own land or own some acerage of your own or are tight with someone who does youre kinda fucked.

How so? You get your little plate or sticker, put it on your ride, and life goes on.

TjAlmeida 02-26-2014 05:34 PM

How so? What phil is saying is that most places are crown land so regardless you will need to register your off road vehicle. Your post only imply's you need to register if you are on public land. So if you do not want to register you are 'fucked' if you get caught without registration most places.

Soundy 02-26-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjAlmeida (Post 8424632)
How so? What phil is saying is that most places are crown land so regardless you will need to register your off road vehicle. Your post only imply's you need to register if you are on public land. So if you do not want to register you are 'fucked' if you get caught without registration most places.

So fucking register your machine. Big fucking deal. It's SOP with power boats and sleds, and nobody's fun has been ruined.

Hands up, how many here think it's a good idea to license cyclists and have them show a little plate so you can report them when they do something stupid?

So how is this any different? How many times have you seen some idiot destroying things on a quad and wanted to report it, but couldn't give anything more than a vague description?

Zedbra 02-27-2014 06:54 AM

I don't see many idiots on quads, I see too many in Jeeps. And none of them I shall ever report.

Soundy, you're obviously a large supporter of this bill. I see it as a cash grab that could end up with more taxation. Perhaps the upsides of accountability are there for those that squeal on others and for the police, but other than that, I see little 'positive' here and think our government should focus their attention on more important matters. Then again, this is a cash grab and my medical is going up, so prepare for more levies and you better smile and support them all.

Soundy 02-27-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8424888)
Soundy, you're obviously a large supporter of this bill.

Not really. I'm a supporter of the CONCEPT, given the fact that to date, idiots are left to destroy our outdoors with impunity. Since I haven't read the bill itself, I'm neither for or against it SPECIFICALLY.

What DOES bug me, is that so many simply decide they're going to be against it, ALSO without having actually read it, let alone waiting to see what the final implementation will actually be.

Quote:

Perhaps the upsides of accountability are there for those that squeal on others ...
So you consider it "squealing" to report people who are doing stupid, dangerous, destructive, or illegal things? Does that include reporting drunk drivers? What if you witnessed an assault, would that be "squealing" too, to call the cops intervene? Or if you saw a B&E in progress?

Some idiots go out in the woods, make a mess, and next thing another area of the outdoors is made off-limits to everyone... happens all the time, classic examples of a few morons ruining things for everyone.

rriggi 02-27-2014 08:33 PM

The problem is that people go out and destroy shit and then end up getting the road secured and gated. If they were more accountable they might think before they do something stupid. It may help, it may not help, I have done my share of FSR stupidity but never once have seen a peace officer out in the bush, I usually stick to the deactivated roads though.

If its a matter of safety and accountability sure I'm all for it. Start charging tax and I can't disagree with this more.

meme405 03-05-2014 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8424888)
I see it as a cash grab that could end up with more taxation.

Actually no it isn't a cash grab, cause you should pay the taxes on your quad or dirt bike when you sell it regardless. So this just helps the government collect the money they are legally entitled to collect...

Although I hate taxes as much as the next person, I still pay them. So you should as well, even if you can hide it...

Zedbra 03-07-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8429707)
Actually no it isn't a cash grab, cause you should pay the taxes on your quad or dirt bike when you sell it regardless. So this just helps the government collect the money they are legally entitled to collect...

Although I hate taxes as much as the next person, I still pay them. So you should as well, even if you can hide it...

So when you sell something on RS or you have a garage sale, you send the Ministry 7% of the money you made?

Soundy 03-07-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rriggi (Post 8425318)
If its a matter of safety and accountability sure I'm all for it. Start charging tax and I can't disagree with this more.

Yes, well, that's the rub, isn't it? It could be a 50-cent one-time registration fee and some people would still get all bent about it being "another tax" and a "cash grab" and blah blah blah.

Look at it this way: registering off-road toys *can* and *should* help add a level of accountability. Nobody claims it will ERADICATE the problems, but it will HELP.

So... setting up another registration system like this something like that will cost money. It shouldn't cost a LOT of money (by bureaucratic standards), because the structure is already there for other types of vehicles... nevertheless, there will be SOME implementation costs, even if it's just the price of generating a plate or sticker for your ride.

So who's going to pay? If you DON'T have ATVs, sleds, etc., do you want it added to your regular taxes, or your gas taxes? Or since these are really LUXURY ITEMS, is it more fair for the users of them to at least cover a part of the cost?

Oh yes, I hear the cries of "now I won't be able to take my kids out to enjoy the great outdoors, they won't learn how to commune with nature and respect the environment!" - Fuck off. Your one-time cost to register your $5,000 machine is probably less than you'd spend on gas for one weekend outing. Still too spendy? Pick up a $50 tent at Canadian Tire and take your spoiled brats hiking and teach them to commune with nature on an up-close and personal level instead of ripping around through it belching greenhouse gasses.

Seriously, this isn't life-and-death shit, nobody's standard of living is going to come crumbling to the ground because of it, dogs and cats won't start sleeping together...

The alternative is, as rriggi says, having more and more back country areas closed, gated, deactivated, and just plain made inaccessible. Then you'll have your nice unregistered $5,000 machine, and nowhere to ride it.
:devil:

Zedbra 03-07-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8430920)

The alternative is, as rriggi says, having more and more back country areas closed, gated, deactivated, and just plain made inaccessible. Then you'll have your nice unregistered $5,000 machine, and nowhere to ride it.
:devil:

That's not really an alternative - because the same users with the machines will just pay the fees and tear up everything in site - now with even more of an attitude of "I pay for this right".

Maybe they should charge internet fees next, seems legit, no cash grab. That will keep the dickheads off the net, right?

meme405 03-07-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8430733)
So when you sell something on RS or you have a garage sale, you send the Ministry 7% of the money you made?

There is a difference between buying $90 worth of parts, and buying/selling a $5000+ quad.

The difference can be best summed by this:

Time is money, you have to pick which dollars and cents are worth chasing down, and which are not. The government trying to peg hundreds of people on CL selling cheap cell phones or car parts are likely wasting their time; however, trying to nail the relatively few people selling quite expensive goods is worth it, because they may actually recoup enough money to make them worth it to the government that pays their salary.

So yes if I were taking the moral high ground I would say "I do indeed pay tax even when I buy a used BBQ at a garage sale". However we all know that's a load of BS, which is why I am not taking that stance on the matter.

What I am saying is that you SHOULD pay tax on every purchase you make, and you cannot be upset with the government for finding a way to make you liable to pay that tax.

EDIT: and for the record I sold a dirt bike on which I did indeed report last year, so the tax was actually paid on the sale. So I could have taken the moral high ground in this scenario..

Zedbra 03-07-2014 09:50 PM

^ smells like hypocrisy.

When the product is bought, the province takes their cut from licensed businesses that are trained to collect taxes. Afterwards, let the people trade and barter for what's left of their possessions. That's my opinion - they don't need to keep on taking because it crosses a hypothetical dollar amount it is worth stealing from you. We pay, pay, pay, then you die and you still pay 20% of everything you have left - it's bloody robbery and this new 4x4 cash grab will do little to better land usage 'tread lightly' - go ahead and hide behind that hypocritical sentence, too.

meme405 03-07-2014 10:26 PM

Just to be clear I am not an advocate or a non-advocate about this, I was simply making the distinction that I don't think its a cash grab.

having the tax setup the way it is is the cash grab.

This law simply gives the government the legs to find out when people aren't paying the tax as they should...

EDIT:

Believe me if I was in charge, people would have to pay hardly any taxes at all. I am under the strict impression that the less you provide to the weak and the stupid the more they will get up off their lazy asses and start fending for themselves. Natural selection...

rriggi 03-10-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8430920)
The alternative is, as rriggi says, having more and more back country areas closed, gated, deactivated, and just plain made inaccessible.

Closed and gated is a bitch. I've seen gates cut in half, gates stolen, signs burned/shot. I even saw a gate once buried in boulders:suspicious:

Deactivated roads are the best though, nothing beats a heavily rutted unsupervised road :jiggy:

Soundy 03-10-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rriggi (Post 8433289)
Closed and gated is a bitch. I've seen gates cut in half, gates stolen, signs burned/shot. I even saw a gate once buried in boulders:suspicious:

What tends to happen is that roads first get gated, then after the gates are hacked, slashed, broken or destroyed enough times, roads get blocked by mounds of rock, concrete blocks, or ditches, or bridges get removed, or the roads are in some other way made completely impassable.

If there's just a gate, there's sometimes the option to make keys available to responsible parties, such as with Eagle Ridge.