REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
That';s what the MVA says about uncontrolled intersections. Small side streets and alley are considered "highways"...ie..."roads".
Here's a scenario, same as OP's but slight variation

The blue car is supposed to yield to the red car if they both arrive at intersection same time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T intersection.jpg (30.6 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #27
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
that is not considered a t intersection.. that is an alley joining into a main street. cars exiting alleys have to yield to the traffic on main streets.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 AM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
That just confused me even more, so OP wouldn't be at fault since the car that hit him was exiting an alley?
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
That just confused me even more, so OP wouldn't be at fault since the car that hit him was exiting an alley?
no, in the OPs scenario the OP and the other car are both in an alley way
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #30
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
And you are confused even when you have time to think about it Imagine when you're driving, there's no time to think about rules just what's safer for any of the road users where common sense should aid you in making the right decision. Oh and it's her not him ;P !
tcneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #31
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
that is not considered a t intersection.. that is an alley joining into a main street. cars exiting alleys have to yield to the traffic on main streets.
Quote:
That';s what the MVA says about uncontrolled intersections. Small side streets and alley are considered "highways"...ie..."roads".
So does that mean that the MVA differentiates between 'highway' and 'alley'?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #32
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
So does that mean that the MVA differentiates between 'highway' and 'alley'?
No. Highway under the MVA covers pretty much all roads. An alley intersecting into a main street is different than a t intersection at an alley or a t intersection between main streets. Most if not all municipalities have a lower speed limit (usually 20) for alleys. Streets are generally 50. The alley is not created equal with respect to a major street. Obviously the major streets have higher volume, that is why cars leaving an alley into a major street must yield to cars and or pedestrians.

this was taken straight out of the icbc handbook

"Entering a roadway
When you are pulling out of a driveway, alley or parking lot onto
a road, stop before the sidewalk or area where pedestrians may
be walking. Then pull out carefully, yielding to traffi
c on the
road and waiting for a safe gap."
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #33
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i always thought that the vehicle entering the lane of travel would have to yield to the vehicle already in the lane of travel, ie Im in the pot so i keep swimming, your entering my pot to swim, so you need to wait for me to pass
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #34
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerbeta View Post
i always thought that the vehicle entering the lane of travel would have to yield to the vehicle already in the lane of travel, ie Im in the pot so i keep swimming, your entering my pot to swim, so you need to wait for me to pass
I personally agree that T intersections should not follow the general rules of "uncontrolled" intersections. But that's the rules...
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #35
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
I'm yet another person who never knew about this stupid law. If they both arrive and stop, but like in the OP, the person to the "left" blocks the person to the "right" from proceeding, what the hell happens? Left cannot legally move, but right in unable to go anywhere, so to keep things legal one of them has to back up or just leave their cars there until the end of time.

I'm not sure how the adjuster can say you were 100% at fault, yes technically you rolled through without stopping, but the other driver was stopped and then accelerated into another vehicle. From the sounds of it, if you had arrived slightly before the other driver and stopped, then carried on they still would've hit you.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #36
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Those of you who are married well know this approach to conflict resolution.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #37
nuggets mod

Sorry to bump this again, but I just can't believe it.. haha

So this intersection... the blue line would have right of way? because I always make that turn, and travellers in the red line would never ever stop, even if I get there first.

(gmaps)

edit.. no images?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #38
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Sorry to bump this again, but I just can't believe it.. haha

So this intersection... the blue line would have right of way? because I always make that turn, and travellers in the red line would never ever stop, even if I get there first.

(gmaps)

edit.. no images?
it appears it is.... doesn't really make sense huh? I guess we just don't encounter T intersections enough to know the right of way rule. It is technically an uncontrolled intersection, and we wouldn't fly through a normal uncontrolled intersection without stopping... that said, you probably should still approach Ash St the same way (by stopping), because I am sure cars traveling on Ash will just keep going without stopping.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #39
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You think dealing with uncontrolled intersections are a problem in the LMD? RCMP driver training spends a lot of time driving the roads around Depot. All the intersections in the older sub divisions are uncontrolled. Hardly ever a stop sign...and that includes all those back alleys. Your stress levels are also lowered by the driving Cpl with the metal clip board ready to nail your shoulder if you hit the brakes & the brake light dash indicator light goes on when you didn't have to slow down. Spidey knows what I'm talkin' about,.. "my sister loves cops, she hates robbers". That helps you remember the directions for the one way streets in downtown Regina.

Last edited by zulutango; 04-16-2014 at 04:29 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #40
RS Veteran

Quote:
You think dealing with uncontrolled intersections are a problem in the LMD? RCMP driver training spends a lot of time driving the roads around Depot. All the intersections in the older sub divisions are uncontrolled. hardly ever a stop sign...and that includes all those back alleys. Your stress levels are also lowered by the driving Cpl with the metal clip board ready to nail your shoulder if you hit the brakes & the brake ligh dash indicator light goes on when you didn't have to slow down. Spidey knows what I'm talkin' about,.. "my sister loves cops, she hates robbers". That helps you remember the directions for the one way streets in downtown Regina.
love it!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #41
nuggets mod

Quote:
You think dealing with uncontrolled intersections are a problem in the LMD?
I think only uncontrolled T-intersections are confusing for people because they (and I) assume that going straight has right of way..
Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #42
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
From this thread, I have learned that I should now take the green route, instead of the red route, to get to my garage in the back, to avoid the yellow T-intersection (No, that's not my exact address, but an identical situation).

Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote