REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #126
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Kevin O'Leary thinks middle class focused income tax rate is bad for the country.

Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #127
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
If you make $23,500/year, you will owe approx $2500
https://simpletax.ca/calculator
Its missing personal allowances.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #128
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Death and taxes; you can't avoid them.
If you owe taxes after doing your filing, it just means you haven't paid enough taxes through-out the year on your cheques. If the government is paying you, it just means you paid too much during the year.
In the end, you pay taxes regardless: Now or later.
RSP just means you defer taxes for later. The true savings is marginal if you calculate in all factors.
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #129
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Anyone know of any good accountants that handle cross border taxes?

I used AGTax last year and wanted to see what else was out there
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #130
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
and every year I'll share that CRA has a list of free certified programs you can use.

Certified software for the 2016 NETFILE program

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #131
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

got over my anxieties and filed 4 years worth of taxes and completed some audits.

I'm getting a 5 digit return with gst and hst returns included.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #132
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
If BC government is not going to reduce MSP but instead, increase it. MSP should at least be tax-deductible.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #133
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
Anyone know of any good accountants that handle cross border taxes?

I used AGTax last year and wanted to see what else was out there
AmeriTax

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #134
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
If BC government is not going to reduce MSP but instead, increase it. MSP should at least be tax-deductible.
MSP itself is pretty much a tax
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #135
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Does anyone have any information about being married and claiming a dependent (child under 18)?

My wife used to be able to claim her son as a dependent but since we're now married, I'm trying to claim him under her tax return but it says we can't claim if we're married or common law. I'm using studiotax

I've search in google to see what the rules are with this but it's not giving me answers to what I'm looking for.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #136
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

getting 98 bucks back. should i get RRSP?
im a total noob when it comes to taxes. all i know is if i dont pay then im GOOOD
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #137
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNguyen View Post
getting 98 bucks back. should i get RRSP?
im a total noob when it comes to taxes. all i know is if i dont pay then im GOOOD

I'm sick. Should I go to the doctor?
I'm a total noob when it comes to health issues. all I know is if i don't die then i'm good.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 PM   #138
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Does anyone have any information about being married and claiming a dependent (child under 18)?

My wife used to be able to claim her son as a dependent but since we're now married, I'm trying to claim him under her tax return but it says we can't claim if we're married or common law. I'm using studiotax

I've search in google to see what the rules are with this but it's not giving me answers to what I'm looking for.
Can you claim the amount for an eligible dependant?
What are the situations in which you cannot claim the amount for an eligible dependant?

From the first link, studiotax appears to be correct.

Quote:
You may be able to claim this amount if at any time in the year you met all of the following conditions at once:

You did not have a spouse or common-law partner or, if you did, you were not living with, supporting, or being supported by that person.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #139
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,830 Times in 877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post

it's best to search the website itself first. if you're referring to what used to be line 367:

Replacement of the Child Tax Credit with the enhanced Universal Child Care Benefit

Quote:
The Child Tax Credit will be replaced by the enhanced UCCB for the 2015 and subsequent taxation years.
if you're referring to the "eligible dependent" claim on line 305, then neither of you qualify, as you're married.
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #140
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,209 Times in 1,394 Posts
Anyone here have experience with adding a WITB + T2202A?

I was a full-time student for about two months in 2015 (T2202A documented three months, so 13 weeks). According to TurboTax, "You are not eligible [for the WITB] if you were a full-time student during at least 13 weeks of the year."

Seeing as I was documented as being a full-time student for only 12 weeks, does that mean I can apply for WITB as well?

After adding just my T4/T4A documents, SimpleTax gives me an estimated refund of $1,140. Upon adding my T2202A information, it jumps to $1,670, and then when I add the WITB it jumps to $2,205.

My tax return last year was a lot simpler since I was a full-time student and I just want some confirmation if I'm doing it right this year. It seems too easy to be obtaining several hundred back like that.

EDIT: Turns out I will be fine submitting my T2202A and applying for the WITB.

According to the Income Tax Act that someone linked to me - http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a.../page-127.html

ineligible individual for a taxation year means an individual:
(b) who .. was enrolled as a full-time student at a designated educational institution for a total of more than 13 weeks in the taxation year
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 02-27-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:08 PM   #141
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
did my own taxes this year as its only a t4 and a small amount of RRSP, and used that simpletax website. only getting 59$ back =[ lame haha. how to change it so they tax me a bit more so i can have a bit more of a return later on in the year

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #142

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
did my own taxes this year as its only a t4 and a small amount of RRSP, and used that simpletax website. only getting 59$ back =[ lame haha. how to change it so they tax me a bit more so i can have a bit more of a return later on in the year
talk to the payroll of the company you work for and ask them to take off an extra 80-100 off per cheque.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #143
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
Why? I mean why would you want the gov to take your money and spend it without giving you any interest at all. Sure you get it back a year later, but why not have it now and use it on what you like IE investment, hookers and blow, new cell phones etc etc......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #144
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Need to confirm the numbers, but having shifted companies, and nearly fucking myself over on a low RRSP contribution, I'm getting $600 back.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:45 AM   #145

apparently i contributed a lot to my pension plan from my union. do any of you still invest in rrsp if you have a good pension plan?
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #146
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post
apparently i contributed a lot to my pension plan from my union. do any of you still invest in rrsp if you have a good pension plan?
I do if I have the funds and if it helps me fall into a lower tax bracket and I get a nicer return. I also have to do a HBP payment.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #147

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Fall into a lower tax bracket? lol
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #148

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
How good is your pension plan? Do you think it will be there when you retire? If it's a gold-plated, defined-benefit, public sector pension protected by legislation, then it will likely be there when you retire. However, if it's a private sector pension plan, there's always a chance that the company could go under and won't be able to fund its commitments to the pension fund. Or, the company could implement a change to a defined contribution plan, particularly as a tradeoff for something like higher wages in a future collective bargaining agreement.

A lot of people say that if you're young, it's better to put your savings in a TFSA because you're likely making a lower salary now than you will be in the future. The TFSA is a much more flexible instrument because you can make withdrawals and regain the contribution room the following year. If you have to use your RRSP for unforseen emergencies, you lose that contribution room forever and you have to pay tax on that money at your marginal rate when you take it out. When you retire, you have to start withdrawing your RRSP at age 71 and you have to set up a Retirement Income Fund (RIF) to stage your withdrawals to minimize your income taxes. If you have a gold-plated pension plan that is indexed to inflation, forced RRSP withdrawals could increase the taxes your normally pay, depending on amount of your pension. On the other hand, any money you decide to withdraw from your TFSA will not be taxed, no matter how low or high your income is at the time you withdraw it.

Last edited by Tapioca; 03-01-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #149

i'm not sure what type of pension plan i have, but it's the municipal pension plan. i contributed close to 10k last year and have very little room for rrsp contribution. this is the first year i opened a tfsa account but i guess i should contribute more into tfsa.

thanks for the info. so much info out there in google that it gets a bit confusing.
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #150

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
i'm not sure what type of pension plan i have, but it's the municipal pension plan. i contributed close to 10k last year and have very little room for rrsp contribution. this is the first year i opened a tfsa account but i guess i should contribute more into tfsa.

thanks for the info. so much info out there in google that it gets a bit confusing.

You should read your pension information booklet and learn about how it's managed, the types investments it contains, etc. If it's municipal, it's likely defined-benefit which means your pension is determined by some sort of formula - for example 2 times the number of years of service, divided by 100 to determine the percentage of your salary you would receive in retirement. You get the payment based on the formula, as opposed to how well your investments in the pension fund have done over the years.

However, municipal governments, because they're inherently smaller, may be riskier in terms of the financial health of their plans. You should read the financial statements of your pension plan to determine how safe it is.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote