REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #26
RS controls my life!

Getting hired atm would require you to go there and sit there for hours and not get work every day and then have a side job to support yourself so no they are not hiring. That being said im sure if you go to the union's office im sure if you ask really nicely they'll let you in just for being a good guy.
Advertisement
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Rare as getting the golden ticket for willy wonkas chocolate factory
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Lol anyone actually even have a clue what goes on at Vancouver port? With Vancouver port your chances of getting in are slim to nothing. You can camp out there all night if you want and you probably still won't get a job. Delta port there's a better chance of getting in if they do a public hiring, but it's rare.. If you have close friends and family that work there then you might have an in, but even then you won't get any shifts. For the first couple of years you'll get 2-3 shifts a month at best.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #29
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Everyone makes this sound like the holy grail of jobs. I'm not familiar with this profession at all... is it just a lot of money for relatively little work?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #30
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
Lol anyone actually even have a clue what goes on at Vancouver port? With Vancouver port your chances of getting in are slim to nothing. You can camp out there all night if you want and you probably still won't get a job. Delta port there's a better chance of getting in if they do a public hiring, but it's rare.. If you have close friends and family that work there then you might have an in, but even then you won't get any shifts. For the first couple of years you'll get 2-3 shifts a month at best.
Posted via RS Mobile
yep pretty much this
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #31
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
It is and without connection your not getting the job anytime soon.

Last edited by Mike Oxbig; 03-05-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #32
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
Everyone makes this sound like the holy grail of jobs. I'm not familiar with this profession at all... is it just a lot of money for relatively little work?
Not easy per say, a lot of shift work and working outdoors. I must have at least 10 friends who who work at the port. Most of them never graduated high school so for them this job is the holy grail. A couple of friends who quit college and started working at the port want to get out and do something else.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
a buddy of mine got his electrician ticket and got hired at the Vancouver docks because he knew someone in management. After about a year of working 2-3 days a week he quit and went to Ft. Mac instead. Just like everyone says, no one with less than 10 yrs gets full time shifts there. If you're into trades, AB is the place to be. My buddy works 21 days on, 7 days off, stays in a camp, eats for free, they fly him back here for 7 days off and fly him back. He makes about $8k after tax every 21 days...

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #34

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
For no education it's definitely the holy grail of jobs. Once you're a member you can pretty much cherry pick the jobs, so when you know a ship is finishing early into the shift you'll probably work two hours and get sent home with a full days pay. You have job security for life, you literally have to do something outrageous and then some to get fired. When you want holidays you just take them for as long as you want since the spare board is so big you're easily replaced.
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #35
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
a buddy of mine got his electrician ticket and got hired at the Vancouver docks because he knew someone in management. After about a year of working 2-3 days a week he quit and went to Ft. Mac instead. Just like everyone says, no one with less than 10 yrs gets full time shifts there. If you're into trades, AB is the place to be. My buddy works 21 days on, 7 days off, stays in a camp, eats for free, they fly him back here for 7 days off and fly him back. He makes about $8k after tax every 21 days...
A lot of the grain elevators are looking for electricians and they can't find any. Very high paying jobs as well.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #36

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
A lot of the grain elevators are looking for electricians and they can't find any. Very high paying jobs as well.
Another friend of mine works at a grain elevator... maybe I'll introduce the two of them once my electrician friend gets tired of AB...

By the way, to actually get jobs at the docks once you get hired, you have to physically show up every morning and hope there's work available. Some weeks, you may only get 1 shift, so the other days you show up for nothing

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #37
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
With how many companies looking for trades people now, why bother trying to chase and impossible to land job.

Go get on as a sparky, or tinbasher, hell even millwrights are in demand, steam fitters, welders, etc.

Any of the trades listed above are in demand all over BC and AB, and even as an apprentice you can make 120k a year.

As a ticketed tradesperson you can top 200k easily.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:15 AM   #38
I bringith the lowerballerith

i have a ticket to working for longshore. tbh i never heard of it until i got offered the chance but i heard its a well known in the 'white-mans' world... or maybe i was just ignorant.

If i do work there i would have to work at the bottom and do the manual labour in the beginning but gets easier.

is it worth? currently in school for business..
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #39

White mans world indeed. If you got an opportunity get in there... you might get dick around for a bit but the income is worth it.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #40

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
how much is income for a longshoreman? sounds like a labourer type of job.........
Old 03-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #41

Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #42

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Members can make upward of 150k with overtime
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #43

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
After reading the thread title, I just couldn't resist...

Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #44
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Just go work in Alberta rather than working 2 shifts a month for 2 years..
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #45
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

work in alberta so goddamn easy. man up and leave town.

by far the best decision i've made for my financial future.

i'm an electrician. aka glorified but overpaid labor.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
work in alberta so goddamn easy. man up and leave town.

by far the best decision i've made for my financial future.

i'm an electrician. aka glorified but overpaid labor.
Been looking into the field but to even get on as a 1st year is tough.
Called around a couple places but you either need connections or take the Ibew ELTT or BCIT's ELTT, both have waitlists.

I'm reading all these demands but realistically, you need someone in the know or you are already an apprentice.

If ya don't mind me askin, what was your route Hot Karl?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:57 AM   #47
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i did my 1st and 2nd year schooling and got onto an industrial gig out of town. i did have a connection that got me into the site.

the most common way to get on without a connection would be to start as a laborer and become an electrical apprentice. i've seen lots of laborers get into the field like this without any education. just be a good worker, talk and be friendly. it's by far the most effective way because they actually know how you work. this path can take a wee bit of time, but at least you're earning at that time and getting to know folks in the industry. now a wee bit of time is 3-6 months. not like a year or two.

if you're a 1st year, it's harder to get hired. 2nd year gives you a much better chance of being hired. if you can wait a bit, i'd say do a classic 1st year working residential/commercial work and apply out hard when you become a 2nd year apprentice. this will take longer to get the 1500 hours but you will have some actual knowledge as opposed to just knowing how to pull cable.

ibew is meh. obviously if you have an in, then ibew is much better like all unions. but they don't seem to have as many jobs as other "unions" that aren't as powerful/expensive/well known. the fact is anyone can underbid ibew because of the classic union stuff. double time on weekends, or crazy shit like weeks of double time. yea that shit sounds amazing, but shit like that makes companies look for any excuse to get rid of people. you're expensive? well you're the first to be laid off.

i did my schooling at sprott shaw. waitlists are bullshit. no one cares where you did your schooling as long as you pass.

it's not to say they don't hire 1st years, it's just that the project usually has been running for a while before they'll take 1st years. it may seem like an old boys club, but classic "public hires" are still done at all levels of the industry.

at the end of the day, get 1st year schooling done, and apply out everywhere. your first gig might be ridiculously far and boonie but it's a start. once you get into a job, as long as you're not a complete moron, the hookups from co workers you'll get are insane. you'll see the same folks within a few jobs all the time. they'll tell you if their new job is hiring etc etc. that's when it gets stupid easy. you stay in touch with facebook and voila.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #48
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I've been working as a longshoreman for about 8 years. It is hard to get in and the only time is when they do a big hiring usually once every few years. The first couple years are always tough but if you put in the time and effort it's well worth it. I love what I do
Posted via RS Mobile
d.biring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #49
RS controls my life!

Interesting read folks. I thought longshoreman was a booming career due to world trade. But then again the vancouver port is constantly backed up for unkown (to me) reasons.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #50
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
Ahahaha ^ really?

You mean getting paid a lot per hr in an union enviroment does not produce high productivity?
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote