REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Cheap(ish) server colocation facilities in 604?

I've been scouring the internet for a good solution for large online storage, good speeds, and a reasonable price. It seems like the old adage of "Pick 2 of the 3 requirements", since that is all you can get.

Are there any relatively inexpensive colo facilities in Vancouver yet? Years ago when I checked last, there were only a couple players in town (Peer1 being one of the larger ones) and the pricing was exorbitant - to the tune on hundreds or thousands per month, depending on your physical access and bandwidth requirements.

Has that changed at all or is it still out of reach for all but the large corporations?
Advertisement
ninja6o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Got MOD?

I would think server colocation within vancouver would always be expensive. There's a reason that cheap datacenters are on the outskirts
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

Well, it doesn't have to be IN Vancouver.. anywhere in the region would be fine.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
how much data is involved?
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #5

Several TB of storage at minimum. Throughput would be ok at 100Mbps, but would prefer an unmetered or high cap transfer rate
Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Is 2hr drive do-able?

Many great DC in Seattle with amazing connection routings and prices.

An ex co-worker of mine runs his start-up's server in Seattle. Great speed/scaleability.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
i wouldn't store anything in the US if its confident data. I store my data in a data center in toronto. TBH depending on how long you are going to have this storage your better buying a server or putting in your own server at peer1 and then setup a VPN for connection.

I'm currently doing that at work. we have a 100/100 line running over here in vancouver constantly moving data to a server that is remote away from vancouver for backup
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Is 2hr drive do-able?

Many great DC in Seattle with amazing connection routings and prices.

An ex co-worker of mine runs his start-up's server in Seattle. Great speed/scaleability.
It's not confidential data, so Seattle could be an option. Can you suggest any potential companies I could check out?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja6o4 View Post
It's not confidential data, so Seattle could be an option. Can you suggest any potential companies I could check out?
Equinix is what my ex co-worker uses. You can give them a shout.

Here is a list that I found:
Equinix
Internap
Net River
WorldLink
Digital Fortress
CoreLink
Fibercloud
TierPoint
ColoInSeattle

The Pièce de résistance for Seattle DC is the Westin Building AFAIK... this is the place to go if you want quality. But it's not cheap... might want to check some of their resellers. Generally speaking though, if you want to do colo in a DC located in Seattle proper, it's going to cost you.

So, what I suggest is, there are quite a few good DCs in the greater Seattle area with great connectivity both domestic and international. And since Colo/dedicated server is quite cheap nowadays, you might want to get a few for a month from several DCs(I believe many resellers offers discount/free for testing purpose) and see which one is best for your usage before making the actual switch.

Last edited by Hehe; 03-06-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.