REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #26
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
^ what happens when your service line in your yard springs a leak and pisses out a months worth of water over night? Or when nobody's home while on a weekend trip?
Pay the extra water usage that you never used, + the bill of someone to come in and fix it up for 3-500$...or fix the entire line for an extra 1000 on top? If it broke once it'll break again..
So what?
It's the homeowner's responsibility to maintain their water line after the meter.

Yes they still "used" the water, the utility still had to treat and pump that volume of water to their house.
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #27
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Edit

Read that wrong lol

Last edited by stewie; 03-06-2014 at 03:36 PM.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #28
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
When i was a child, my bro and i did things like run through the sprinkler, had water balloon/super soaked fights. Made boats and floated them down a man made stream via hose etc. as an adult i like washing cars and keeping a well-fed lawn. I'd say no to the meter if it means kids can actually have fun outside
Posted via RS Mobile
Water isnt THAT expensive. If your kids play in the sprinkler, it might cost you an extra buck a month. No one actually thinks about their water usage with a meter. Its not like anyone ever says "well, its been a slow month, Ill have to only flush on #2s this month"

And regardless of whether you're on flat rate or metered water, you still fall under the same water restrictions in the summer when water usage restrictions are in place.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
^ what happens when your service line in your yard springs a leak and pisses out a months worth of water over night? Or when nobody's home while on a weekend trip?
Pay the extra water usage that you never used, + the bill of someone to come in and fix it up for 3-500$...or fix the entire line for an extra 1000 on top? If it broke once it'll break again...I'd see it happen on a daily basis at work.

I know meters have their ups and downs, but I've seen and dealt with way more downs than I've seen ups.
Posted via RS Mobile
Leak rebates aside, without a pit meter a yard leak will go unnoticed until the soil got so washed away theres a hole in front of the house or a sunken driveway, which 9 out of 10 cases lead to much worse wastage in terms of water.

And honestly past the curb stop whether you like it or not its the owners responssibility to maintain the line, meter or no meter.
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #30
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Not everyone in this city is rich. Some families have kids who would like to play in a sprinkler all day everyday during the summer. Cause I know I sure did...slip n slides, water hose fights, sprinklers... With a meter, their summertime bill would be the same as a flat rate year long bill lol. So the stick it beats you with is a piece of paper saying you owe us this much money for having fun in your back yard this month.
Posted via RS Mobile
Just because the kids are having fun, doesn't mean its right to do. Having to pay to play in a sprinkler all day? Thats textbook first world problem.

West coast may have an abundance of water resource, but outside of BC the availability drops dramatically and the treatment cost shoots up.

Wanna guess who pays for treatment plant upgrades?
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #31
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

We had a water leak at the company I worked at; we didn't find out until we got the bill the next month and the water usage was more than double the regular.

The utility (City of Richmond) waived most of the extra cost as long as we sent them a copy of a contractor workorder to fix the problem.

Regarding the low-flow showers, it's more of a function of the pressure than the flow.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote