REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Quick Question about ICBC insurance (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693338-quick-question-about-icbc-insurance.html)

eLeVeN 03-06-2014 05:55 PM

Quick Question about ICBC insurance

I was just wondering how is the 15 km distance traveled measured when you buy insurance? Is it direct distance between point A to point B? or is it the distance of actual route taken? Thanks in advance.

GLOW 03-06-2014 08:39 PM

when i speak to insurance agents they always phrase the question as distance traveled. they never state it as the crow flies.

underscore 03-06-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8430447)
when i speak to insurance agents they always phrase the question as distance traveled. they never state it as the crow flies.

Agreed.

Jas29 03-06-2014 10:16 PM

Route taken

ancient_510 03-10-2014 08:44 AM

Years ago it used to be written as a direct line.
Now it's explicitly stated as route taken.

Imagine living in Belcarra or Anmore and working in Deep Cove

Jmac 03-10-2014 10:52 AM

When I took an insurance sales course ~10 years ago, it was a 15 km radius. However, it looks like it's changed since then based on the following text from their website:

ICBC | FAQs | My car is insured for driving less than
Quote:

Q: My car is insured for driving less than 15 km to work or school. Can I occasionally take a different route that's longer than 15 km?

A: Yes—but not more than six days a calendar month. If you take a longer route more often than this, your coverage might not be valid if you have a claim.

Besides following the terms of your insurance policy, it’s important to be sure you’ve got the right coverage for the kind of driving you do.

If you have any questions, just talk to your Autoplan broker.

4444 03-10-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eLeVeN (Post 8430291)
I was just wondering how is the 15 km distance traveled measured when you buy insurance? Is it direct distance between point A to point B? or is it the distance of actual route taken? Thanks in advance.

i know people say 'there are no stupid questions'

that is one fucking stupid question.

do you think ICBC would ever give you the 'better' option? and logically, it's based on distance driven, as the more you drive, the higher risk you are to be in an accident.

do us all a favour, don't drive - if you're that dense, i think driving may be beyond your means

/yes i'm a dick, deal with it

Presto 03-10-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 8432761)
do you think ICBC would ever give you the 'better' option?

Looks like they did at one point:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8432670)
When I took an insurance sales course ~10 years ago, it was a 15 km radius.

I've been driving for almost 20 years, and I do believe, early on, it was based on radius.

In the last 15 years, we've seen the internet explode, but in the days before the ubiquity of Google Maps, insurance agents only had a paper map to measure distance. They weren't about to measure the length of route through every turn. A nice, straight line served the purpose.

underscore 03-10-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8432670)
When I took an insurance sales course ~10 years ago, it was a 15 km radius. However, it looks like it's changed since then based on the following text from their website:

ICBC | FAQs | My car is insured for driving less than

So if I swing by the store or make any other detour on my way to/from work more than 6 times a month my insurance could be invalid? wtf.

m3thods 03-10-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8433246)
So if I swing by the store or make any other detour on my way to/from work more than 6 times a month my insurance could be invalid? wtf.

Yeah ICBC is very specific on wording. It's the same when they ask where you're parking your car at the end of every day. If for some reason you're staying at a girl's house for an extended period (that's not your house) and you get dinged for some reason, they can invalidate your claim with sufficient evidence. Primary drivers, using your car for business purposes, drivers with 10+ years experience etc are all additional clauses which they can make money off of. It's up to you to get the correct coverage.

underscore 03-10-2014 10:38 PM

Doesn't that fall under the pleasure use or whatever it's called? I could've sworn the insurance is for "pleasure use and to/from work or school under 15km"

rriggi 03-10-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8433246)

Yes lol, however everyone I know pretty much violates the insurance policies one way or another. And then when they go a claim interview it turns into "NO NO I NEVER USE THE CAR FOR WORK, I DRIVE IT ONCE A MONTH, THE OTHER 30 DAYS OF THE MONTH I CARPOOL"

I know someone who got into an accident, and just because he said in the claim interview he used the car to go to school in the past they invalidated the claim because he isn't covered for that.

My old car had a bumper that was quite rare and very pricey to replace, it got hit while parked outside my house and had cracked. The claims adjuster literally looked for any reason to invalidate the claim. They kept asking questions about why the car was lowered, or what the membership stickers in the windshield were for and what my business there was. I became quite rude at that point and told them I was there for a insurance claim and not a interrogation of my personal life and what my parents do/did. I will never forget the moment the adjuster said it "its a cool car, do you ever drift race it?!"

Pleasure use policy LOL, with gas at $1.40 do they seriously believe everyone is just going for cruises?

StanleyR 03-11-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rriggi (Post 8433347)
I will never forget the moment the adjuster said it "its a cool car, do you ever drift race it?!"

Pleasure use policy LOL, with gas at $1.40 do they seriously believe everyone is just going for cruises?

lol

mb_ 03-11-2014 08:57 AM

Wait a sec, so if I drop off my mom to work then go to work, I'll be "breaching" my policy?

My work is about 10km North from my house, mom's work is 15km ish South of my house
Posted via RS Mobile

m3thods 03-11-2014 09:14 AM

Without seeing your exact policy we can't say for sure.

Like already said before, practically everyone breaks some of the rules set out by ICBC. There's no "policing" of it, but if you're caught and they can prove it, they can say no to your claim.

The easiest thing to do is read the insurance papers. It says exactly what you CAN do. Anything that's outside of that is probably not covered.

Jmac 03-11-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_ (Post 8433523)
Wait a sec, so if I drop off my mom to work then go to work, I'll be "breaching" my policy?

My work is about 10km North from my house, mom's work is 15km ish South of my house
Posted via RS Mobile

If regularly do it twice a week or more, yes.

You can go in to your insurance broker and have your policy adjusted. The price difference likely isn't tremendous (though it depends on area, vehicle, discount/premium, etc.) and you'd only pay the pro-rated difference plus possibly a nominal fee (last time I adjusted my policy from pleasure use to to/from work outside of 15 km, I just had to pay the pro-rated difference. No nominal fee, but I'm not sure if that's standard policy or not among brokers).

TypeRNammer 03-11-2014 10:14 AM

Before my policy was to or from work with in 15km.

Changed it to to/from work more than 15KM

I'm paying an additional 7 dollars per month.

mb_ 03-11-2014 10:56 AM

Time to tell my mom to start taking the bus :troll:

But she'll just make me change my coverage :okay:
Posted via RS Mobile