REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quick Question about ICBC insurance

I was just wondering how is the 15 km distance traveled measured when you buy insurance? Is it direct distance between point A to point B? or is it the distance of actual route taken? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
eLeVeN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
when i speak to insurance agents they always phrase the question as distance traveled. they never state it as the crow flies.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
when i speak to insurance agents they always phrase the question as distance traveled. they never state it as the crow flies.
Agreed.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
2 Wheelin' Mod

Route taken
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Years ago it used to be written as a direct line.
Now it's explicitly stated as route taken.

Imagine living in Belcarra or Anmore and working in Deep Cove
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
When I took an insurance sales course ~10 years ago, it was a 15 km radius. However, it looks like it's changed since then based on the following text from their website:

ICBC | FAQs | My car is insured for driving less than
Quote:
Q: My car is insured for driving less than 15 km to work or school. Can I occasionally take a different route that's longer than 15 km?

A: Yes—but not more than six days a calendar month. If you take a longer route more often than this, your coverage might not be valid if you have a claim.

Besides following the terms of your insurance policy, it’s important to be sure you’ve got the right coverage for the kind of driving you do.

If you have any questions, just talk to your Autoplan broker.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeVeN View Post
I was just wondering how is the 15 km distance traveled measured when you buy insurance? Is it direct distance between point A to point B? or is it the distance of actual route taken? Thanks in advance.
i know people say 'there are no stupid questions'

that is one fucking stupid question.

do you think ICBC would ever give you the 'better' option? and logically, it's based on distance driven, as the more you drive, the higher risk you are to be in an accident.

do us all a favour, don't drive - if you're that dense, i think driving may be beyond your means

/yes i'm a dick, deal with it
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
do you think ICBC would ever give you the 'better' option?
Looks like they did at one point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
When I took an insurance sales course ~10 years ago, it was a 15 km radius.
I've been driving for almost 20 years, and I do believe, early on, it was based on radius.

In the last 15 years, we've seen the internet explode, but in the days before the ubiquity of Google Maps, insurance agents only had a paper map to measure distance. They weren't about to measure the length of route through every turn. A nice, straight line served the purpose.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
When I took an insurance sales course ~10 years ago, it was a 15 km radius. However, it looks like it's changed since then based on the following text from their website:

ICBC | FAQs | My car is insured for driving less than
So if I swing by the store or make any other detour on my way to/from work more than 6 times a month my insurance could be invalid? wtf.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 03-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
So if I swing by the store or make any other detour on my way to/from work more than 6 times a month my insurance could be invalid? wtf.
Yeah ICBC is very specific on wording. It's the same when they ask where you're parking your car at the end of every day. If for some reason you're staying at a girl's house for an extended period (that's not your house) and you get dinged for some reason, they can invalidate your claim with sufficient evidence. Primary drivers, using your car for business purposes, drivers with 10+ years experience etc are all additional clauses which they can make money off of. It's up to you to get the correct coverage.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #11

Doesn't that fall under the pleasure use or whatever it's called? I could've sworn the insurance is for "pleasure use and to/from work or school under 15km"
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Yes lol, however everyone I know pretty much violates the insurance policies one way or another. And then when they go a claim interview it turns into "NO NO I NEVER USE THE CAR FOR WORK, I DRIVE IT ONCE A MONTH, THE OTHER 30 DAYS OF THE MONTH I CARPOOL"

I know someone who got into an accident, and just because he said in the claim interview he used the car to go to school in the past they invalidated the claim because he isn't covered for that.

My old car had a bumper that was quite rare and very pricey to replace, it got hit while parked outside my house and had cracked. The claims adjuster literally looked for any reason to invalidate the claim. They kept asking questions about why the car was lowered, or what the membership stickers in the windshield were for and what my business there was. I became quite rude at that point and told them I was there for a insurance claim and not a interrogation of my personal life and what my parents do/did. I will never forget the moment the adjuster said it "its a cool car, do you ever drift race it?!"

Pleasure use policy LOL, with gas at $1.40 do they seriously believe everyone is just going for cruises?
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
I will never forget the moment the adjuster said it "its a cool car, do you ever drift race it?!"

Pleasure use policy LOL, with gas at $1.40 do they seriously believe everyone is just going for cruises?
lol
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Wait a sec, so if I drop off my mom to work then go to work, I'll be "breaching" my policy?

My work is about 10km North from my house, mom's work is 15km ish South of my house
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Without seeing your exact policy we can't say for sure.

Like already said before, practically everyone breaks some of the rules set out by ICBC. There's no "policing" of it, but if you're caught and they can prove it, they can say no to your claim.

The easiest thing to do is read the insurance papers. It says exactly what you CAN do. Anything that's outside of that is probably not covered.

Last edited by m3thods; 03-11-2014 at 09:23 AM.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Wait a sec, so if I drop off my mom to work then go to work, I'll be "breaching" my policy?

My work is about 10km North from my house, mom's work is 15km ish South of my house
Posted via RS Mobile
If regularly do it twice a week or more, yes.

You can go in to your insurance broker and have your policy adjusted. The price difference likely isn't tremendous (though it depends on area, vehicle, discount/premium, etc.) and you'd only pay the pro-rated difference plus possibly a nominal fee (last time I adjusted my policy from pleasure use to to/from work outside of 15 km, I just had to pay the pro-rated difference. No nominal fee, but I'm not sure if that's standard policy or not among brokers).

Last edited by Jmac; 03-11-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Before my policy was to or from work with in 15km.

Changed it to to/from work more than 15KM

I'm paying an additional 7 dollars per month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Time to tell my mom to start taking the bus

But she'll just make me change my coverage
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote