REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Police Officer Resigns After Green Light Drag Race Video Goes Viral (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693353-police-officer-resigns-after-green-light-drag-race-video-goes-viral.html)

Timpo 03-07-2014 03:26 AM

Police Officer Resigns After Green Light Drag Race Video Goes Viral

Police Officer Resigns After Green Light Drag Race Video Goes Viral
BY Antony Ingram 11/14/2013

A police officer in Montgomery, Alabama has resigned after a video of him racing a local motorcycle rider went viral. The unidentified officer was captured on camera by the rider, Lawrence Lee Spillers, accelerating hard away from a green light after being asked, "do you wanna race?" The officer, riding a Harley-Davidson, responds, "I got turbo", before blasting off as the light turns green. The two later race away again at a later set of lights.

However, many feel the incident has been blown out of proportion--and the rider who filmed the officer has started a petition gathering support to have the former Montgomery officer reinstated. "We posted [the video] thinking, you know, it was something fun, something you don't run across every day and that's why we did it" he told WSFA, adding that his intentions were never to get the cop into trouble.

Montgomery Police Chief Kevin Murphy disagrees, calling the footage "upsetting" and saying that it doesn't reflect the organization as a whole. Murphy says that you don't even need to break the posted limit to partake in illegal drag racing--just accelerating harder to pass other traffic. "Police officers should obey the law, not violate them," he added.

While the actions could be considered foolish for a police officer--particularly one caught on camera--we suspect that few will see what all the fuss is about. Neither reaches excessive speeds--Spillers' speedometer is visible the whole time--nor continues their "race" over anything more than a short distance. While we certainly wouldn't advocate street racing, we'd all be in trouble if accelerating quickly was considered a crime...

The officer's response? Pragmatic: "If I could start over I would have never done what I did."

kkthind 03-07-2014 03:33 AM

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...ot%20turbo.png

Posted via RS Mobile

zilley 03-07-2014 03:48 AM

maybe because hes black, I actually found this funny/enjoyable.

kkthind 03-07-2014 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zilley (Post 8430674)
maybe because hes black, I actually found this funny/enjoyable.

He's probably not gonna get reinstated back on the force because he's black too
Posted via RS Mobile

zilley 03-07-2014 03:55 AM

^Harsh.

kkthind 03-07-2014 03:59 AM

http://cdn.hsmemes.com/2012/4/27/874...79e3bfda2f.jpg
Posted via RS Mobile

CharlesInCharge 03-07-2014 04:03 AM

On the scale of hitting a parked car and extorting money from the passenger, to putting ones foot under a Ferrari tire and claiming assault, to committing murder on camera and getting suspended with pay... Im going to put this one at a .5 on the 1-10 scale meter for police negligence.
Cool video though.

mb_ 03-07-2014 04:13 AM

http://m.wsfa.com/#!/newsDetail/23970489
Posted via RS Mobile

zilley 03-07-2014 04:38 AM

cop gets job back, now the cbr owner will get charged. LOL.

Berzerker 03-07-2014 07:24 AM

Is there a law that states your not allowed to reach the speed limit as fast as possible?
Posted via RS Mobile

snails 03-07-2014 07:27 AM

^ if two or more cars accelerate fast at a light or any stop together its considered street racing.. even if under the speed limit.. if not they will tag you will driving without consideration, stunting and/or sound violations

fT-z33wor 03-07-2014 09:20 AM

The officer got reinstated when the rider found out his video went viral and started a petition online to get his job back.

Expresso 03-07-2014 02:16 PM

If this happened here, he would just get suspended with pay until the story blows over before being reinstated.

you! 03-07-2014 02:57 PM

coolest cop ever hands down

FerrariEnzo 03-07-2014 03:37 PM

haha wow...

vafanculo 03-07-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 8430926)
If this happened here, he would just get suspended with pay until the story blows over before being reinstated.

If this happened here he would have gotten off the bike, walk over to the civilian, ask him what his fucking problem is and tazed him
Posted via RS Mobile

hchang 03-07-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by you! (Post 8430944)
coolest cop ever hands down

Preach

Put a smile on my face
Posted via RS Mobile

maksimizer 03-07-2014 05:27 PM

Get that cop an award.

jaemc 03-10-2014 07:55 AM

Indeed. The officer did not accelerate to dangerous speeds or swerve lanes to disrupt the flow of traffic. Just stuck to his lane and accelerated from time to time. Not saying if he did the right or wrong thing but props to him for having fun with another rider on the road. I don't think we'll ever see something like this in Vancouver.

E60_M5 03-10-2014 08:49 AM

The officer didnt even lay any rubber on the road and at no point they "hammered" it down as far as I can see. They were just having a good conversation and joking around. I take that cop over most of the cops we have here.

westopher 03-10-2014 12:27 PM

Shoot and kill unarmed person, suspension with pay.
Accelerate fast on motorcycle, while still obeying posted traffic speeds. Grounds for dismissal.
Makes sense.

E60_M5 03-10-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8432740)
Shoot and kill unarmed person, suspension with pay.
Accelerate fast on motorcycle, while still obeying posted traffic speeds. Grounds for dismissal.
Makes sense.

Mountie pleads not guilty in Dziekanski perjury trial | News1130
No kidding, fucks up and no regret at all. All of them come out lying giving false statements. Suspended with pay.

This guy didnt even accelerate fast enough to "chirp" his tires. If they were in fact drag racing, something must be wrong with the bike.

KingKaze 03-14-2014 01:08 PM

Seeing this makes me laugh and want to get my bike back, especially for summer coming up.

Cops cool as hell.