REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #651
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

This whole situation is a good example of conspiracy theorist logic.

The Indian Ocean is thousands of square km big and happens to have an island with a US airbase on it with 100's of natives and im assuming dozens of regular military guys with the basic security clearance(cooks, maintenance, etc.).

Conclusion: The evil US took the plane there for no reason.
Advertisement
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #652
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet | Autopia | Wired.com

A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #653
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntran604 View Post
A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet | Autopia | Wired.com

Was just about to post that myself. Scary thing about it is, it actually makes about 1000 times more sense than anything else we've heard so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #654
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

from a pilots point of view.. since they actually know what to do in that kind of situation\
why didnt anybody think of that since day 1?!?!?!

CNN brainwashed me into thinking it was hijacked
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #655
G
Banned (BBM)

^Might have missed it but have they checked that place yet?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #656
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Didn't read through this Reddit shit, but apparently that article has been debunked here:

Written by another pilot, a logical explanation for the MH370 : TrueReddit
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #657
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
for those of you hating on the theorists...

you guys do know that theories are what people have to come up with so they can start looking in some direction.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #658
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

True, those are theoriest. Conspiracy Theories are what people with no expertise or knowledge come up with so they can fulfill their juvenile fantasies of feeling like knowing more than the general population, they can always be debunked but conspiracy theorist have alot of time on their hands and can quickly point something else out and pull random shit out of their ass..
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #659
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Not sure what to think of this;

Quote:
The global hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight has shifted to a tiny island in the Maldives, where residents spotted a “low flying jumbo jet” hours after the aircraft disappeared.

Several witnesses in Dhaalu Atoll saw a plane heading south that bore the red stripe and white background of Malaysia Airlines planes.

The sightings, reported by a local news outlet, would have occurred more than seven hours after the plane, carrying 12 crew and 227 mainly Chinese passengers, lost contact with air traffic control and took its sudden westward turn during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in the early hours of Saturday March 8.

“I’ve never seen a jet flying so low over our island before. We’ve seen seaplanes, but I’m sure that this was not one of those. I could even make out the doors on the plane clearly,” said an witness.

“It’s not just me either, several other residents have reported seeing the exact same thing. Some people got out of their houses to see what was causing the tremendous noise too.” The chances of another aircraft of that size flying over the island at the time were, according to Maldives sources, very low.

Though authorities are yet to confirm the sighting, the plane’s pilot, Captain Zaharie Shah, is believed to have practised landing at Male International Airport in the Maldives on a three-screen flight simulator at his home. The machine has been seized by police.

A report in a Malay language newspaper, Berita Harian, claimed Capt Zaharie also practised at three airports in India and Sri Lanka and a runway at the US military base on Diego Garcia.

Police would not confirm the details about the flight simulator.

However, Peter Chong, a friend of the pilot, insisted that there was nothing suspicious about the simulator and that Capt Zaharie invited many of his friends to use it. “He was not hiding it, he was open about it,” Mr Chong said. “He loves flying. He wanted to share the joy of flying with his friends.”

Capt Zaharie, a 53-year-old father of three, and his co-pilot, Fariq Abdul Hamid, a 27-year-old who was planning to marry his 26-year-old pilot girlfriend, Nadira Ramli, have been described by friends and family as flying enthusiasts who had no known links to extremism or psychological problems.

Authorities in Malaysia have confirmed that they believe the flight was deliberately interfered with and that its communications system intentionally disabled before the plane flew “invisible” for a further seven to eight hours.

They believe the plane’s sharp turn 40 minutes into the flight and the disabling of the communications system suggest an experienced pilot was in control. But the lack of any motive — and the disappearance of the plane — has left authorities increasingly mystified during a search that has lasted more than 11 days. As Malaysia appealed to countries in the two major search areas to share surveillance data, vital information emerged from Thai air force radars yesterday that revealed clues about the aircraft’s wayward path.

In what was a further example of the secrecy surrounding the investigation, Thailand’s air force said it detected a plane believed to be the missing MH370 flight, seven minutes after the plane’s transponder was turned off at 1.21am.

In a series of inexplicable movements, the flight reportedly headed back towards Kuala Lumpur, then turned right towards the Strait of Malacca — a sequence that corresponds with data captured by the Malaysian military.

Thailand’s Air Vice Marshal Montol Suchookorn said the plane did not enter Thai airspace, and that the data was not released until now because “we did not pay any attention to it”.

China has increased its involvement and yesterday revealed that the 154 Chinese passengers aboard the flight had been cleared of “destructive behaviour”.

Huang Huikang, China’s ambassador to Malaysia, also told a briefing of the Chinese media that Interpol had cleared two Iranians aboard the flight who were travelling on false passports. This left 83 passengers as feasible suspects, including 10 crew members plus two pilots.

A further complication in the search for the plane is that the signals or “pings” from the black box – sent at a certain frequency, and only traceable within a certain distance – will only be sent for a month.

The Daily Telegraph learnt yesterday that the aircraft could have been located if Malaysia Airlines had paid just $10 (£6) for additional satellite information.

The airline, along with several international carriers, opted to transmit only minimal information rather than pay an additional small fee to transmit detailed flight data. “For 10 dollars, you could have told within half an hour’s flying time where the plane would have gone,” a source said.

MH370: Maldives Islanders claim to have spotted 'low flying jet? - Telegraph
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #660
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
^ take it with a HUGEEE gain of salt.

At this rate, sooner or later...someone from Vancouver Island going to chime in and say they spotted a low flying jet too
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #661
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
NBC News: Flight 370 was programmed to turn away from flight to Beijing at least 12 minutes before co-pilot signed off, sources say
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #662

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
^Might have missed it but have they checked that place yet?
Did you not read this pilot's actual theory?

He figures that the pilots probably set the plane on a course for Palau Langkawi airport before being disabled by a fire... if that happened, the plane wouldn't have landed, but kept on going until ran out of fuel and ditched. If that's the case, "that place" is still a wedge of mostly ocean several thousand kilometers long and expanding to dozens if not hundreds of kilometers wide - it's still a MASSIVE area to search.

And, if you follow a line from approximately where last contact was, past Langkawi, and keep going for, say, 7 hours' flying time, you end up in the general vicinity of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Right. Dhaalu Atoll. Not PRECISELY... but if you figure the plane wasn't on autopilot, and wasn't under anyone's control, but just kept flying straight ahead in the general direction it was pointed... then it's not inconceivable.

The only thing that doesn't track with me on this theory (I didn't read the Reddit thread, I don't know if they mentioned it), is that the plane would have probably passed pretty close to Langkawi's air corridor, and over the tip of North Sumatra, and would have HAD to be picked up on SOMEONE'S RADAR along the way as a large unidentified blip. It couldn't have been under the RADAR, because at that low altitude, it wouldn't have had anywhere near the range it would at normal cruise.

Anyway, that aside, it sounds like a logical, reasonable explanation of what could have happened... which is more than one can say about most other theories.

Occam's Razor cuts deep...
Quote:

Last edited by Soundy; 03-18-2014 at 02:59 PM.
This post thanked by:
G
Old 03-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #663

Never mind, guys... mystery solved.

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #664
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:

Interesting piece of reporting right there...

“I’ve never seen a jet flying so low over our island before. We’ve seen seaplanes, but I’m sure that this was not one of those. I could even make out the doors on the plane clearly,” said a witness.

one of the residents claims that the plane was so low they could make out the doors... wouldn't the next logical question be "Did you see any writing on the side of the plane?"

I mean if they could see the plane was very low, they could see if it said "Malaysian Airlines" on it... instead the reporter chooses to move on to the next topic... if the witness confirmed they saw "Malaysian Airlines" on the side of the plane, it would make the story a lot more believable.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #665
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

off topic. but
any one know what car is behind the first officer's home?

https://www.scmp.com/sites/default/f...4/03/16/31.jpg

edit: one is maybe Nissan Qashqai
whats the other one?
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #666
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,177 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valent|n0 View Post
off topic. but
any one know what car is behind the first officer's home?

https://www.scmp.com/sites/default/f...4/03/16/31.jpg

edit: one is maybe Nissan Qashqai
whats the other one?
Looks like a Subaru Legacy
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #667

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Interesting piece of reporting right there...

“I’ve never seen a jet flying so low over our island before. We’ve seen seaplanes, but I’m sure that this was not one of those. I could even make out the doors on the plane clearly,” said a witness.

one of the residents claims that the plane was so low they could make out the doors... wouldn't the next logical question be "Did you see any writing on the side of the plane?"

I mean if they could see the plane was very low, they could see if it said "Malaysian Airlines" on it... instead the reporter chooses to move on to the next topic... if the witness confirmed they saw "Malaysian Airlines" on the side of the plane, it would make the story a lot more believable.
Airline names tend to be well above the window line on the fuselage.

If you're more-or-less under a plane, you won't see the name. You'll see the logo on the tail, maybe call letters on the belly, but not the name.

Yes, I realize this is a distant high-altitude shot and you can't make out the doors... from this ANGLE, you also can't see the name of the airline.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #668

CNN Anonymously Defends Missing Flight 370 Coverage

Quote:
Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #669
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Considering we know that India doesn't always have its radar on, and Malaysia barely pay attention to theirs, I don't think we can safely say " someone should have seen it on radar if..." for any scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntran604 View Post

Except they last tracked it flying north-ish, off the west coast. And if it's on fire, it can't fly for hours and hours.

Quote:
According to US officials the Malaysians haven't been handy over critical data which can assist in the search for the plane. One theory is the Malaysians are worried about jeopardizing their own national security which I guess is a valid concern because I can't see the US handing over data if it could jeopardized their national security. Also the US navy has pulled out one of their ships and put it back into normal service.
The funny thing is they said they would put national security second to find the plane.

Quote:
Article sounds about as flakey as the oil rig worker. In neither case did anyone bother to mention what time this happened at.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #670
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
The sad thing is, plane will probably never be found unless it comes back for a terrorist attack (I hope not)

If it were hijacked for the engineers / valuable cargo, the plane will never be found as the peepz prob completely incinerated every part of the jet by now
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 AM   #671
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I was watching CNN and it sounds like they're FINALLY shifting their stories from the conspiracy nonsense they've been spewing for the past few days and focusing more on scenarios that make more logical sense like a possible fire or some sort of other emergency which took down this plane.

They also spoke with a former TWA pilot who said he's pretty certain that it was a fire that took the plane down and said from what he's read the pilots seem like stand up guys and he suspects the pilots (if proven) will be hero's because in his eyes they were attempting to turn back and find a airport to land at due to a serious emergency on board.

I hope for the sake of the families they find this plane.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #672
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
I'll say it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If it's on fire, it can't fly for hours and hours.
If they had a fire severe enough to shut down these systems then the plane couldn't have flown off until it ran out of gas.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'll say it again.

If they had a fire severe enough to shut down these systems then the plane couldn't have flown off until it ran out of gas.
They could if the climb to thin air extinguished it.
Quote:
Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #674
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I read somewhere that the pilots may have tried to fly up to 45,000 feet for thin air to try to extinguish the fire which didn't work so subsequently they tried to do a dive to take out the fire if there was indeed a fire? Also, the plane may have been set on autopilot before the pilots were rendered unconscious therefore the plane just kept flying until fuel ran out
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #675
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
I read somewhere that the pilots may have tried to fly up to 45,000 feet for thin air to try to extinguish the fire which didn't work so subsequently they tried to do a dive to take out the fire if there was indeed a fire? Also, the plane may have been set on autopilot before the pilots were rendered unconscious therefore the plane just kept flying until fuel ran out
and how can anyone know any of this if they dont even know where the plane is ?

snails is offline   Reply With Quote