REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #751
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Remember when it was "confirmed" that the plane was hijacked? lulz...
Advertisement
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #752
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,492 Times in 554 Posts
^ Many news agencies simply reported rumors as fact. Lazy journalism at its best.
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #753
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Australia just said everything is just speculation at this point and offered visas to family members if they wanted to travel to Australia

China has demanded to see the latest sat analysis that caused Malaysia to make their earlier statement

sounds like nations are going wtf malaysia? over that "confirmation"
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #754
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
?F*ck It, Let?s Go Nuts!? Stewart Tears Apart CNN for MH370 Coverage | Mediaite
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #755
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
They should have just been honest (if they really are clueless) and said:

We can't find the plane. This is life and stuff happens that can't always be accounted for. We believe everyone on board is dead until further notice, and so should you, but with the reality being they probably are. Sorry - Malaysia airlines
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #756
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I don't think the families will ever get closure. There's going to be a lot unanswered questions regarding this crash and I think the families will be fighting the Malaysian officials in form of lawsuits for years to come for answers.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 AM   #757

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
I don't think the families will ever get closure. There's going to be a lot unanswered questions regarding this crash and I think the families will be fighting the Malaysian officials in form of lawsuits for years to come for answers.
i disagree, they will find the plane, they will find the black box, and they will know what happened.

i'm not sure why they'd sue Malaysian officials, they'll all get insurance pay outs from Malaysian Airlines, and unless the Malaysian authorities did something fraudulent or wrong, i'm not sure you can sue for being a bit disorganized or because of some really, really odd occurrence (this definitely falls into that category)

it will take time (didn't it take 2 years to figure out Air France crash - so expect longer than that), but the investigation won't stop until it is figured out so that it can never happen again.
that's the one great thing about flying, if anything goes wrong, investigations will find out exactly what went wrong and put in a fail safe to ensure it can't happen again, or more training, or whatever it is that's required.

I just think this whole situation was handled badly, I don't necessarily think anyone has been malicious with what has and what hasn't been released or said, maybe just stupid
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:51 AM   #758
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Even MAS' status and 24th media statement used the word "ASSUME"

Quote:
We deeply regret that we have to assume that ‪#‎MH370‬ ended in the southern Indian Ocean. We humbly offer our sincere thoughts, prayers and condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy -
Quote:
Tuesday, March 25, 12:30 AM MYT +0800 Malaysia Airlines MH370 Flight Incident - Media Statement 24
It is with deep sadness that Malaysia Airlines earlier this evening had to confirm to the families of those on board Flight MH370 that it must now be assumed the flight had been lost. As the Prime Minister said, respect for the families is essential at this difficult time. And it is in that spirit that we informed the majority of the families in advance of the Prime Minister’s statement in person and by telephone. SMSs were used only as an additional means of communicating with the families. Those families have been at the heart of every action the company has taken since the flight disappeared on 8th March and they will continue to be so. When Malaysia Airlines receives approval from the investigating authorities, arrangements will be made to bring the families to the recovery area and until that time, we will continue to support the ongoing investigation.
I totally understand the chance of survival after so many days is slim, and almost next to none.
But at least give us some solid evidence that the plane crashed into southern Indian Ocean.

v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2014, 03:47 AM   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i disagree, they will find the plane, they will find the black box, and they will know what happened.

i'm not sure why they'd sue Malaysian officials, they'll all get insurance pay outs from Malaysian Airlines, and unless the Malaysian authorities did something fraudulent or wrong, i'm not sure you can sue for being a bit disorganized or because of some really, really odd occurrence (this definitely falls into that category)

it will take time (didn't it take 2 years to figure out Air France crash - so expect longer than that), but the investigation won't stop until it is figured out so that it can never happen again.
that's the one great thing about flying, if anything goes wrong, investigations will find out exactly what went wrong and put in a fail safe to ensure it can't happen again, or more training, or whatever it is that's required.

I just think this whole situation was handled badly, I don't necessarily think anyone has been malicious with what has and what hasn't been released or said, maybe just stupid
The AF crash was much different compared to this crash. Not only did this crash occur in one of the most remote parts of the world but they still haven't recovered any wreckage so they really have no clue where the final resting place is for the plane. Also the overall ocean depth is much greater than it was in the AF crash and the people who lead the AF recovery have said publicly that it's going to be a monumental task to recover the MH plane.

And in regards to payouts, I believe the max payout set by a treaty is something like $175,000 per passenger. After that the families can sue the airline because ultimately the airline is responsible for the crash unless they can prove otherwise which is near impossible. So for example if it's terrorism related than lawsuits can argue lax security, etc... which would put blame on the airline. Not only is MH going to have legal issues but if it's determined that the engines or another part on the aircraft failed than the families can and will most likely sue the respected manufacturers.

Most of these lawsuits will likely be filled in US because US jury's will hand out larger amounts of money and talking about lawsuits related to plane crashes, there's still lawsuits pending from the AF crash in Toronto from a few years ago and there was no lost of life so this MH incident will probably drag on for years to come in court.

Edit:

David KaminskiMorrow ‏@FlightDKM

Investigators' analysis of frequency change from #MH370, showing better fit with southern zone than northern.

Last edited by Harvey Specter; 03-25-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:32 AM   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
The AF crash was much different compared to this crash. Not only did this crash occur in one of the most remote parts of the world but they still haven't recovered any wreckage so they really have no clue where the final resting place is for the plane. Also the overall ocean depth is much greater than it was in the AF crash and the people who lead the AF recovery have said publicly that it's going to be a monumental task to recover the MH plane.

And in regards to payouts, I believe the max payout set by a treaty is something like $175,000 per passenger. After that the families can sue the airline because ultimately the airline is responsible for the crash unless they can prove otherwise which is near impossible. So for example if it's terrorism related than lawsuits can argue lax security, etc... which would put blame on the airline. Not only is MH going to have legal issues but if it's determined that the engines or another part on the aircraft failed than the families can and will most likely sue the respected manufacturers.

Most of these lawsuits will likely be filled in US because US jury's will hand out larger amounts of money and talking about lawsuits related to plane crashes, there's still lawsuits pending from the AF crash in Toronto from a few years ago and there was no lost of life so this MH incident will probably drag on for years to come in court.

Edit:

David KaminskiMorrow ‏@FlightDKM

Investigators' analysis of frequency change from #MH370, showing better fit with southern zone than northern.

right, but before you were talking about suing the Malaysian officials - which is it, Malaysian officials or Malaysian Airlines? One is a set of government officials, the other a corporation...

i totally agree with you that they'll sue the airline and any other corporation involved that is shown to be negligent, especially as juries have less problem finding against 'evil' corps, but the gov? good luck suing a government! Not sure you can attest any blame to the gov.

I think we just have a miscommunication here.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:41 AM   #761

Yah, miscommunication but I'm sure you'll see lawsuits against the Malaysian government and who knows you might even see individuals getting sued. Whether or not they'll win is another question but it might just be for the sake of making a point.

And talk about conflict of interest, the Malaysian government is the majority share holders of MH so it'll be interesting to see how the lawsuits are handled. You can't blame China and some of the families for been skeptical with the information been fed by Malaysian officials and suspecting there might be some sort of coverup.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #762
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts

So let see if I follow all this:
  • The satellite system "handshakes" with the plane once per hour.
  • The COMPANY WHO RUNS THE SATELLITE SYSTEM (who you'd think would know their shit) has figured out two possible flight corridors based on their handshake data, and then narrowed it down to the southern one.
  • From this, they've determined the location of the plane the last time it pinged.
  • That area is some FOUR HOURS flying time from the nearest land, meaning if it HAD made it to land, there should have been at least four more handshakes.

So what's so hard about accepting the VERY HIGH PROBABILITY that the plane went down in the ocean?

Add to this that the debris that HAS been spotted, turning up in approximately the same area pointed to by the satellite data... plus the statement that given the winds and tides, it would probably have drifted around 60km in the last two weeks (meaning, not that far against the scale of the ocean).

As far as people getting pissed off at the gov't for making the announcement... please, you think if they were full of shit and jumping the gun on their statement, you wouldn't hear from a bunch of other searchers and investigators stepping up and saying, "Wait a minute, that's not what we said..."??

To the assertion the Malaysian gov't is just making shit up because they look bad otherwise: and how does it look then, if they take this guess and then turn out to be wrong?

Besides, this might be a valid claim if they were the only ones looking... but there are a dozen or more different militaries and international search organizations looking as well - Australia's navy is the most involved at the moment because the presumed crash location is nearest their coast (and still four hours' flying time out to sea). The fact that NONE OF THESE OTHER OUTFITS have found anything concrete... "looks bad" on the Malaysian government and not on anyone else???

I get the idea that people don't fully grasp the vastness of the area involved - one report this morning said the search area is ABOUT THE SIZE OF NEW BRUNSWICK... and currently experiencing heavy rain and gale force winds. And it makes people "look bad" because they can't find a few floating scraps of a plane?

Quote:
they will find the plane, they will find the black box, and they will know what happened
Really? And how do you figure that?

The Flight Data Recorder, IF it retains enough data, will only give information about the plane's actual route, what controls were being operated, basic stuff like that. It won't tell anyone WHY things happened they way they did... and the Cockpit Voice Recorder holds only the last, what, half hour or so of voice data? If, as suspected, the pilots were unconscious... all it will give up is silence right up until the sound of the plane hitting the ocean.

Fuck, people wanting to "blame" gov't and airline officials for all sorts of shit, but meantime people just keep blabbering on their wild theories based on bits and pieces of information they get from the news, just to hear themselves talk. Which is worse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Really? And how do you figure that?

The Flight Data Recorder, IF it retains enough data, will only give information about the plane's actual route, what controls were being operated, basic stuff like that. It won't tell anyone WHY things happened they way they did... and the Cockpit Voice Recorder holds only the last, what, half hour or so of voice data? If, as suspected, the pilots were unconscious... all it will give up is silence right up until the sound of the plane hitting the ocean.

Fuck, people wanting to "blame" gov't and airline officials for all sorts of shit, but meantime people just keep blabbering on their wild theories based on bits and pieces of information they get from the news, just to hear themselves talk. Which is worse?
blackbox has plenty of information on it - it will be able to tell you a lot about the story, and then smart people will be able to figure out what happened.

you really think we'll just say 'fuck it, too hard to find the black box... sorry people, you'll never know what happened' - won't happen.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #764
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:

So let see if I follow all this:
  • The satellite system "handshakes" with the plane once per hour.
  • The COMPANY WHO RUNS THE SATELLITE SYSTEM (who you'd think would know their shit) has figured out two possible flight corridors based on their handshake data, and then narrowed it down to the southern one.
  • From this, they've determined the location of the plane the last time it pinged.
  • That area is some FOUR HOURS flying time from the nearest land, meaning if it HAD made it to land, there should have been at least four more handshakes.
Earlier they were saying that it was more likely to be in the Northern corridor, and they haven't figured out an exact location unless things have changed. If it went south, it would've hit water, but if it went north it could've hit land.

Quote:
Add to this that the debris that HAS been spotted, turning up in approximately the same area pointed to by the satellite data... plus the statement that given the winds and tides, it would probably have drifted around 60km in the last two weeks (meaning, not that far against the scale of the ocean).
Debris in an ocean full of junk and debris. Just because they found some crap in the ocean (I believe it was some pallets?) along that corridor doesn't really mean much unless it can be proven to be part of MH370. And again, the sat data mapped a HUGE corridor the plane could be in.

Quote:
The FDR on this plane is supposed to hold a lot more data than the flight time of the airplane, so if it's found and it wasn't disabled or damaged we'll at least get that info. The CVR only holds ~2 hours so we definitely won't find out what happened when the plane disappeared. Even if somebody was flying it, I would assume they would have the foresight to not speak while flying so chances are it won't hold much.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #765
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
From my research (watching Mayday on discovery channel, lol) the FDR records like, fucking everything, anytime a button is pushed or knob is turned, as well as all data from the aircraft itself.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #766
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Am I the only one who can't stream that link because I'm not from the US?

fobulaus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #767
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fobulaus View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krFN7jHKNNo
It worked for me earlier but when I tried watching it again, it wouldn't play
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #768
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobulaus View Post
Video didn't work for me either. Thanks for posting this. I love it when John goes off on his rants.
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #769
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Colbert made fun as well the other night pretty much in exactly the same way
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #770
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
just to give you guys insight on what the indian ocean is like

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...01854656593187
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #771

^
here's one of the fb replies about the vid

Puneet Nagi Firstly, this video has nothing to do with the MH370 search. Its unfortunately a distasteful effort by some individual to increase the hits on his youtube video by stating that its a part of the MH 370 search.
Also, being a ex-sailor and now a pilot, there is nothing really scary about this video, as its a normal day out at sea . Its seems more dramatic, as the smaller the ship, the more it gets tossed about, which is something its built to endure.
The current search operation for MH 370 is being carried out by military ships and aircrafts, manned by individuals who are trained to endure a lot more severe conditions than the one depicted in this video. And lastly, if you look at the weather data for the search area, it currently has calm seas.
I didn't want to be a kill joy, but at the same time don't want people to be mislead by such videos.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 PM   #772
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol it's supposed to let people know what the indian sea can be like

some ppl have no idea what the sea can be like
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #773
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
They should've just deployed drones and spy planes all over the area, taken pictures/live feed for further analysis and then sent actual people out. Bet that would've been cheaper and more efficient.

If they did spot anything, the drones should've been equipped with buoys to 'mark' the search zone.

/cpthindsight
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #774
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
They should've just deployed drones and spy planes all over the area, taken pictures/live feed for further analysis and then sent actual people out. Bet that would've been cheaper and more efficient.

If they did spot anything, the drones should've been equipped with buoys to 'mark' the search zone.

/cpthindsight
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. "drones" "spyplanes" do you think this is some call of duty game.
supremematt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #775
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post

/cpthindsight
Just because it's a drone doesn't mean it'll be able to cover more than a search plane with ppl staring out the window? How is it cheaper, you still have to maintain and fuel the drones like any other aircraft? And the reason they send ppl is because debris looks pretty much all the same from the sky and ppl are sent to get a closer look.
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: