REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #901
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reamemiya View Post
I'm assuming when people say closure, that means to move on.

I think what Ulic is trying to say is, don't put the responsibility of being able to move on, from any incident, in other people's hands.

Only that person has the power or responsibility to decide when they are ready to move on. If that person requires external force (evidence, prove, etc.), what if those things never show up?

When someone realizes that they may never find out what happened, they will realize the power to move on have or have a closure ultimately have always been in their hands.

You can be sad as long as you want, but don't put the blame on others for not being able to move on.

very well summarized. lol

i think the main issue is that the opposing forces of this debate cannot understand the fact that they may never show up, and are willing to bank their entire emotional energy on the chance that things will turn out the way they want it to be.

I'm saying cover your asses. you have to accept all ultimate outcomes.

anyway reamemiya said it good.
Advertisement

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 04-04-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #902
Need my Daily Fix of RS

^+1
anxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #903
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:

I think what Ulic is trying to say is, don't put the responsibility of being able to move on, from any incident, in other people's hands.

Only that person has the power or responsibility to decide when they are ready to move on. If that person requires external force (evidence, prove, etc.), what if those things never show up?

When someone realizes that they may never find out what happened, they will realize the power to move on have or have a closure ultimately have always been in their hands.

You can be sad as long as you want, but don't put the blame on others for not being able to move on.
I get that, but wanting answers within a couple of weeks of a tragedy happening, and still clinging to wanting those answers ten years later are not the same thing. The concept that time means nothing is ludicrous. Sorry but Ulic makes it seem like moving on a day after a tragedy or years later is just as easy, but it's not.
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #904
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:

Oh for the love of... yes, moving on is ultimately determined by the individual, but you can't just flip a switch and move on. It's not a choice it's a process, and for most people knowing what happened to someone makes it a hell of a lot easier. I don't think anyone said anything about blaming others for not being able to move on. You can't blame them, but you can certainly thank them if they bring you answers and help with the process.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #905
I keep RS good

i didnt say it's just as easy

i said the strategy and method is the same. so knowing immediately after the incident, is better than knowing later.

like i said, awareness. and KNOWING is important. regardless of time. because at the end of the day, you have to walk that path.

it's like saying you'd rather start looking for a map when you're already lost, rather than having a map just as you start the journey. you don't have to look at the map, but it's always good to have it and know how to use it and how it works BEFORE you head out on your quest. all it does is reduce your risk of getting more fucked up.

and yes, you can flip a switch and move on. maybe not if it's your first time. but if it's happened to you before. and it's happened again. i can gaurentee you, you'll try to reduce the time of your greiving the second, or third etc... time it happens to you again.

and for a small percentage, they are able to run the scenarios in their head so that they can do it the first time it happens to them.
not everyone needs to learn by pain. some people can learn by forcing themselves to do what hurts before it happens.

like hondaracers dad said, he'd say RIP to his own son after 2 days. he says that, but he might not feel it, but at least it's already in his mind, half molded, and he just has to believe it a little more. whereas the rest of you, the idea isn't even implanted in your heads. and good luck trying to implant that idea into your head AFTER the incident. you are totally unprepared mentally. and there's no way you can adapt when you're emotionally distraught.

that's all im saying. and for whatever reason, only a small number of people can understand it.

i'm not the type of asshole that would say "fuck it, they don't get it, fuck them, im better than them, so i'll just walk away and IGNORE them!"

I will keep lecturing. whether you wanna listen or not. cuz i know someone is listening, and it will benefit someone. and if i can benefit those who listen, that's good enough for me.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 04-04-2014 at 01:33 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #906
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Lol what self respecting man uses a map before they get lost

Anyways this is getting redundant, I see your views you see mine
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #907
I keep RS good

anyway reamemiya said it best, and any rebuttle should be directed to his comment. cuz that's what i ultimately mean.

as for redundancy, all debates are "redundant". that is the meaning of debate, to argue back and forth. an excersize for the brain. no different than kumon LOL.

if you want pragmatic results, kick over the debate podium and you go to war and you physically subdue the opponent... i don't think we're ready to go to war over this little difference of ideologies... but im sure as hell ready to debate the hell out of it.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 04-04-2014 at 01:42 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #908
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
i didnt say it's just as easy

i said the strategy and method is the same. so knowing immediately after the incident, is better than knowing later.

like i said, awareness. and KNOWING is important. regardless of time. because at the end of the day, you have to walk that path.

it's like saying you'd rather start looking for a map when you're already lost, rather than having a map just as you start the journey. you don't have to look at the map, but it's always good to have it and know how to use it and how it works BEFORE you head out on your quest. all it does is reduce your risk of getting more fucked up.

and yes, you can flip a switch and move on. maybe not if it's your first time. but if it's happened to you before. and it's happened again. i can gaurentee you, you'll try to reduce the time of your greiving the second, or third etc... time it happens to you again.

and for a small percentage, they are able to run the scenarios in their head so that they can do it the first time it happens to them.
not everyone needs to learn by pain. some people can learn by forcing themselves to do what hurts before it happens.

like hondaracers dad said, he'd say RIP to his own son after 2 days. he says that, but he might not feel it, but at least it's already in his mind, half molded, and he just has to believe it a little more. whereas the rest of you, the idea isn't even implanted in your heads. and good luck trying to implant that idea into your head AFTER the incident. you are totally unprepared mentally. and there's no way you can adapt when you're emotionally distraught.

that's all im saying. and for whatever reason, only a small number of people can understand it.

i'm not the type of asshole that would say "fuck it, they don't get it, fuck them, im better than them, so i'll just walk away and IGNORE them!"

I will keep lecturing. whether you wanna listen or not. cuz i know someone is listening, and it will benefit someone. and if i can benefit those who listen, that's good enough for me.
AWARENESS?? Just exactly what are you making them aware of?

Friend: I'm depressed, my mother just passed away.

Ulic: Did you know... that you can get over this.

Friend: Well no shit I can. But She just passed away yesterday, it will take some time.

Ulic: Yes I know, but I'm just giving you awareness that you have an option to get over this. In fact, you should do it right now. With enough training, you won't even feel a thing when close friends/family die next time. That is when you have mastered strong willpower.

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #909
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
I wonder if the majority of the 328 Failed Posts from Ulic has come from this thread.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #910

No, he's this ridiculous everywhere.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #911
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Malaysia Airlines MH370: black box ping detected
Quote:
Malaysia Airlines MH370: black box ping detected

A Chinese ship searching for the missing Malaysian Airlines plane has detected signals from a location in the South Indian Ocean, according to reports.
A black box detector deployed by the vessel Haixun 01 picked up the "pings" at around 25 degrees south latitude and 101 degrees east longitude - just north of the designated search area west of Perth.
The signal had a frequency of 37.5 kilohertz (cycles per second) - the standard for black box flight recorders and one that is chosen because it stands out from other noise.
A reporter with Chinese state broadcaster CCTV, who is on-board the Haixun, said the patrol ship first picked up the signal on Friday when it was detected intermittently for about 15 minutes. But other vessels were in the vicinity at the time, raising the possibility that they might have been the source.
But Haixun, China's largest patrol vessel, picked up the signal again on Saturday, when it was detected every second for 90 seconds.

A black box is designed to emit one pulse every second for approximately 30 days.
The area where Haixun may have detected the black box has water depths of 14,000 feet interspersed with undersea mountain ranges of up to 8,200 feet.

Dozens of ships, planes and submarines resumed the search on Saturday, the 28th day since it disappeared, with just days left to find the black box before its battery runs out.
Up to 10 military planes, three civilian jets and 11 ships took part in the protracted search in the southern Indian Ocean for the Boeing 777 which disappeared on March 8 with 239 people onboard.
The 128-metre Haixun patrol ship arrived on Friday at a new search area, north of a 1 million square mile area earlier designated by Australia.
The ship, which can reportedly travel for 10,000 nautical miles without refuelling, is one of two Chinese vessels currently searching for missing plane off the Australian coast.
Military and civilian planes, ships with deep-sea searching equipment and a British nuclear submarine are scouring a remote patch of the southern Indian Ocean off Australia's west coast, in the increasingly urgent hunt for debris and the "black box" recorders that hold vital information about Malaysia Airlines Flight 370's last hours.

Australian Defence Minister David Johnston urged caution, saying he had not received a report on the signal and warned that it may not be from the plane.
"This is not the first time we have had something that has turned out to be very disappointing," he told ABC television.
"I'm just going to wait for (JACC chief) Angus (Houston) and the team and my team to come forward with something that's positive because this is a very very difficult task."
Relatives of the 153 Chinese passengers of Flight MH370 were still digesting the news on Saturday.
Some said it was too early to discuss the possible find. Others said they were already convinced the "ping" had come from the missing plane's black box even though Chinese authorities have so far insisted that has not been confirmed.

"I just saw the news. Now I feel really sad. Earlier there was still a glimmer of hope," Chen Zesheng, whose cousin was on the plane, told The Telegraph on Saturday night.
Mr Chen, 63, said he had become "lost and disappointed" with the so far "fruitless" search. Saturday night's reports appeared at least to represent progress.
"We still want to know what happened. I hope the search and rescue ships, especially those from China, can carry on with their work, finding the debris of the plane as well as the passengers' belongings [so we have] something to remind us of ours loved-ones."
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #912
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

CNN gonna lost their shit with this one.
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #913
FB6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
CNN gonna lost their shit with this one.
It started.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/05/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
FB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2014, 04:45 PM   #914
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
In honor of today being one month since the disappearance of MH370, we have:

The depth of the problem - The Washington Post

Of course, this has been a problem from the start for this search, with people simply having no concept of the vastness of the area to be covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #915

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
recovering black box is one thing...just odd there's no debris to be found.

even the air france from 2009 had debris located within 2 weeks...and black box 2 years later.

cool link...didn't' realize it took them 73 years to find the Titanic
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #916

It was that long before they even had the technology to find Titanic, let alone get anywhere close to it.

Considering the depth of the ocean where they're searching, and the sub-surface currents, anything that could float would probably be far from the final resting place by the time it reached the surface, especially if parts were breaking off as it went down. Depending on how it impacted, a large chunk of the plane could be on the bottom, meaning not a lot of debris making its way to the surface.
Quote:
Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #917
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
5th ping coming from the same area where the first one was detected. I guess that's the latest news so far?
Posted via RS Mobile
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #918
FB6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

They're saying the ping from Thursday isn't from the black box but they know the approximate area where the pings that is from the black box is coming from.

Quote:
Search officials say they are confident they know the approximate position of the black box recorder, although they have determined that the latest "ping", picked up by searchers on Thursday, was not from the missing aircraft.

Batteries in the black box recorder are already past their normal 30-day life, making the search to find it on the murky sea bed all the more urgent.

Once searchers are confident they have located it, they then plan to deploy a small unmanned "robot" known as an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle.

"Work continues in an effort to narrow the underwater search area for when the autonomous underwater vehicle is deployed," the Australian agency coordinating the search said on Saturday.

"There have been no confirmed acoustic detections over the past 24 hours," it said in a statement.

The black box records data from the cockpit and conversations among flight crew and may provide answers about what happened to the plane, which flew thousands of kilometres off course after taking off.

Flight MH370 live: Maritime expert says three pings have to have come from missing Malaysia Airlines plane - Mirror Online
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
FB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #919
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Oh my...

Quote:
Flight instructor featured in CNN's MH370 coverage is fired from job for alleged tardiness and 'shaming Canadians' for dressing like a teenager

uFly company owner Claudio Teixeira said he fired Mitchell Casado on Wednesday in part for refusing to dress professionally and making Canadians 'look very bad all over the world'
Casado's relaxed style of jeans and plaid shirts attracted wide attention during CNN's constant coverage of the search for the missing flight
CNN's Martin Savidge and Casado logged many hours reporting from the fake cockpit located at the company's office near the Toronto airport
The airport has a simulator that is the same model of the lost plane
Teixeira says he received many email complaints about the instructor's way of dressing during the time he appeared on CNN

Read more: Flight instructor Mitchell Casado featured in CNN's MH370 coverage fired from job for alleged tardiness and 'shaming Canadians' for dressing like a teenager | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:11 AM   #920
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
wtf
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:03 AM   #921

Quote:
Teixeira says he received many email complaints about the instructor's way of dressing during the time he appeared on CNN
I don't know which is stupider: firing the guy over these complaints... or people who actually took the time to complain about the way he dressed.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #922

Anyone who complained about how he was dressed should be smacked for caring about how he looks. He's a pilot not a fucking model.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #923
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
i will say i thought he looked rather comical/unprofessional with the way he has been dressed (earlier on anyhow i don't know if he spruced up a bit as ive long since stopped watching) but then i just dismissed it as "whatever" nevertheless it was surprising that he kept up with that look

it's also surprising to me that there were complaints from outside though... i would have thought if there would be any it would be from within his own company
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #924
I keep RS good

let this be a lesson to all who think appearances don't matter.

guess what...

they do.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #925

Love that the CNN talking heads can dress nice and then blather on endlessly about utter bullshit, while a professional who presumably know what he's talking about gets outright slammed because of the way he dresses
Quote:
This post thanked by: