REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #126
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
right, but your passport is scanned before departure. either way, it would be so easy to set up a connected system for passports to be verified vs. interpol information
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #127

Posted via RS Mobile
beatdownvictim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #128
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
right, but your passport is scanned before departure. either way, it would be so easy to set up a connected system for passports to be verified vs. interpol information
UPDATE 1-Interpol says use of stolen passports on flights of great concern | Reuters

Quote:
Interpol said no checks of its database had been made by any country on an Austrian and an Italian passport between the time that they were stolen and the departure of the flight.

"Whilst it is too soon to speculate about any connection between these stolen passports and the missing plane, it is clearly of great concern that any passenger was able to board an international flight using a stolen passport listed in Interpol's databases," Interpol Secretary General Ronald Noble said in a statement.

The police agency said it was in contact with its offices in the countries involved to try to establish the true identities of the passengers who boarded the flight with the stolen documents.

It said it is also checking all other passports on the flight "which may have been reported stolen".

Noble expressed frustration that few of Interpol's 190 member countries "systematically" search the database to determine whether documents being used to board a plane are registered as lost or stolen.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #129
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

The plane could have got sucked into a vortex, other planes have gone missing leaving no trace behind as well. Places like the Bermuda Triangle are known for this sort of activity. Very erie to say the least.
Posted via RS Mobile
MDMA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #130
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^LOL I hope you were joking man. Numerous studies have shown that there's nothing fishy about the Bermuda Triangle, nor do 'vortices' show up out of nowhere.

I find that in this day and age, it's almost unbelievable to lose a plane. Even Air France 447's story is 2009 is unbelievable, yet 5 years later it can still happen.

I hope for the potential victims' families sake they find out what happened sooner rather than later..
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #131
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMA View Post
The plane could have got sucked into a vortex, other planes have gone missing leaving no trace behind as well. Places like the Bermuda Triangle are known for this sort of activity. Very erie to say the least.
Posted via RS Mobile
The Bermuda Triangle is equivalent to people telling ghost stories. The stories from that region are predominantly from the early ages of flight to just after the Second World War. Though it's possible there may be some kind of natural magnetic field distortion or other phenomena that would throw off an aircrafts instruments.... it's also a breeding ground for severe weather due to air and ocean currents. Back in those days the instrumentation was not very sophisticated and neither was our knowledge of the regions weather. Aircraft didn't have crash-proof black boxes with GPS transmitters coordinating with the powerful radars and radios we have today.

The point is aircraft don't simply vanish, get sucked into a vortex, fly through a blackhole, or get zapped by aliens. In the Bermuda Triangle they all got disoriented either due to pilot error, instrument failure, weather, or a combination of all of the above. For example a sudden change in weather such as the formation of a severe thunderstorm or hurricane drastically alters the atmospheric pressure, if a pilot doesn't compensate now their altimeter is way off, they stop trusting their altimeter and now question the other instrumentation, but that island looks like one they recognize from a different region that they saw 25 minutes ago on a different heading, they're not lost but think they are and start guessing, no GPS, too far out for local radar or radio to help, weather is reducing visibility, it all looks the same, flying in disoriented circles..... Those men and women are all buried at sea. There's a reason you haven't heard fables of vanishing aircraft in the Bermuda Triangle for decades and that's thanks to our modern technology, understanding of weather phenomenon, and safety standards.

As for Flight MH370 unfortunately all signs are pointing towards a hijacking or terrorist attack. The odds of a modern aircraft (brand new by industry standards) operated by an international carrier simply coming apart mid-air due to a structural malfunction are beyond extremely low. An experienced Captain and FO wouldn't go radio silent through any other emergency.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #132
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Boeing 777
March 7
Flight MH 370

Close...the fight actually departed on March 8, early Saturday morning.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #133
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
The Bermuda Triangle is equivalent to people telling ghost stories.

There is a lot of evidence for the existence of ghosts. Shit, I even saw a floating wet, black ball at Hycroft Manor years ago.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #134
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
There is a lot of evidence for the existence of ghosts. Shit, I even saw a floating wet, black ball at Hycroft Manor years ago.
i don't think you know what the word "evidence" means.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #135
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
lol, yeah....and Grizzly Adams had a beard...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #136
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
i don't think you know what the word "evidence" means.

Would you say capturing disembodied voices on digital recorders evidence when people have claimed a location is haunted? It happens. Years ago I captured "Leave us alone" on my video camera's audio at Mountainview Cemetery.

I won't argue in this thread but there are a massive amount of people world-wide that have had paranormal experiences that are completely unexplainable. Things like the Bermuda Triangle have much more logical explainations for why planes crash there.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #137
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
i find it shocking they haven't found any lugguages/bodies within 50 nautical miles 48 hours later
it's only 100 miles off the coast too not in the middle of the pacific
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #138
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,897 Times in 3,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
1) how do people with stolen passports get through security - everything is online and connected now, right? so wouldn't they be flagged? this bit really bothers me (i'm flying to and around asia in a week, though i know by the numbers this is a one in a million thing)
If your passport was stolen, how long would it take you to notice and then report it? It's not like the passport gets flagged the instant someone steals it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #139
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
Close...the fight actually departed on March 8, early Saturday morning.
The incident is described as March 7 due to GMT time.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #140
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If your passport was stolen, how long would it take you to notice and then report it? It's not like the passport gets flagged the instant someone steals it.
Both reports were missing 1.5-2 years ago.
Not sure if it's confirmed but I think only one or the two passport was only reported to the Interpol.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #141
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The third day of search and rescue efforts are about to get underway and there is still no sign of MH370. From the various sources I have been reading on the situation, there appears to be a lack of coordination between the different governments involved in the operation. Vietnamese officials have been quoted as saying that the Malaysian authorities have been extremely tight lipped regarding their operations. Perhaps its time for these agencies to conduct a more cohesive operation by coordinating efforts and sharing pertinent information so that the operation can become more effective.

It boggles my mind that Malaysian authorities are now devoting--at least in part--their operation to scour the straights of Malacca!? This suggests that MH370 in fact deviated from its flight plan and made its way back across the malay peninsula without being detected by radar!? Are the Malaysians withholding some information?
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #142
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post

It boggles my mind that Malaysian authorities are now devoting--at least in part--their operation to scour the straights of Malacca!? This suggests that MH370 in fact deviated from its flight plan and made its way back across the malay peninsula without being detected by radar!? Are the Malaysians withholding some information?
They found evidence on military and civilian radar that the flight actually deviated from it's normal flight path similar to a u-turn before it disappeared.

Source: News from the Associated Press
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #143
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
its a terrorist hijacking for sure
Old 03-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #144
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
If it was a hijacking that it might suggest that the hijackers took over the controls and didn't know how to fly the plane.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #145

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
I doubt the hijackers knows how to turn off all radar detection though
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #146
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMA View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Too much mdma
Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #147
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
I doubt the hijackers knows how to turn off all radar detection though
Regardless of whether or not you manually switch off the ADS transponders, the aircraft would still show up on radar, hence the unlikely-ness of the aircraft making its way across land undetected (which I mentioned in my last post ).

I am clearly spitballing here, but I think at this point its clear that the aircraft is not tucked away on some remote dirt landing strip somewhere in South East Asia. There has likely been a catastrophic event which has led to a rapid and uncontrolled crash into the surrounding seas. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, searchers have been unable to locate any major debris fields due to a number of possibilities: The aircraft and any other parts belonging to it have sunk to the bottom of the ocean or that searchers are not looking in the right areas.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #148
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Watched Non-Stop this weekend and then I came out of the theatre to hear about this news.

Definitely felt very weirded out.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #149
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
There has likely been a catastrophic event which has led to a rapid and uncontrolled crash into the surrounding seas.

Those poor people.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #150

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
UPDATE [8:11am]: A video clip of a man dialling the number of his elder brother was shown on a Beijing Television's news bulletin. The call got connected, but no one picked up. He made the phone call three times. Full story here.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote