REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #151
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
UPDATE [8:11am]: A video clip of a man dialling the number of his elder brother was shown on a Beijing Television's news bulletin. The call got connected, but no one picked up. He made the phone call three times. Full story here.
This is news from yesterday. Its already confirmed by the cell network provider the phone number is not reachable and all they were hearing was the international ring tone before being connected.
Advertisement

Last edited by E60_M5; 03-09-2014 at 05:16 PM.
E60_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #152
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
UPDATE [8:11am]: A video clip of a man dialling the number of his elder brother was shown on a Beijing Television's news bulletin. The call got connected, but no one picked up. He made the phone call three times. Full story here.
I've had occasions where my cellphone has been off and during that time people trying to reach me have said that my number was ringing even though it was off (I was traveling at the time)
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #153

How likely is it that the airplane disintegrated 35,000 ft in the air preventing any large debris falling into the water?

Last edited by MR_BIGGS; 03-09-2014 at 05:29 PM.
MR_BIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #154
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Floating object that was spotted yesterday is not from the missing plane. So still no sign of the plane...

Floating object not related to MH370: U.S. rescuers | Tu?i Tr? news
E60_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #155

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Watched Non-Stop this weekend and then I came out of the theatre to hear about this news.

Definitely felt very weirded out.
guess i wasn't the only one... and i saw south park the same day i heard about this news. It was an episode on zimmerman and the plane crashing on the mountains....... disturbing indeed.

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #156
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^ Watched World War Z on Friday night with the zombie on the airplane scene and when i came across this thread, it gave me chills and goosebumps.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #157
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Aliens?
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #158
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Interesting, but totally true article.
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 makes it clear: we need to rethink black boxes | Stephen Trimble | Comment is free | theguardian.com
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #159
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
wonder if governments like the US are using their spy satellites to search for the plane or would that be considered a waste of resources
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #160
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
How likely is it that the airplane disintegrated 35,000 ft in the air preventing any large debris falling into the water?
Is that a serious question? Absolutely zero. If the aircraft broke apart or a bomb was set off at that altitude there would be thousands of pieces of debris floating on the surface spread over a very large area. From fuselage to luggage to seat cushions and bodies (or body parts).

If the aircraft was put in to an intentional dive it may be a different scenario. The aircraft would be supersonic very quickly even at idle throttle. If it "penciled in" ie. hit the water nose first straight down the impact would be devastating though much of the fuselage itself might remain intact trapping luggage and bodies inside and carrying them down. However the wings and probably tail would shear off and there would still be debris but it may be very localized. Without knowing the aircrafts exact location it would be like finding a needle in a haystack before the evidence eventually sinks and is carried away by the current. As it is the debris has already had 2-3 days to drift or sink.

Evidence of the aircraft will eventually be found. But with such a wide search area and no real starting point they may never find the black box of this one, and we will subsequently never know what happened onboard.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #161
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
If it "penciled in" ie. hit the water nose first straight down the impact would be devastating though much of the fuselage itself might remain intact trapping luggage and bodies inside and carrying them down. However the wings and probably tail would shear off and there would still be debris but it may be very localized.

Isn't that what happened with the plane that hit the Pentagon? It went in at such a speed that it pulled the wings in and made that small hole where most of the wreckage got sucked inside.

My guess is that it got hijacked by terrorists and the controls were fought over, causing a nose-dive, or the captain/co-pilot locked the other pilot out of the cabin and then suicided the entire plane.

It is so sad to think about all of those innocent people. I don't pray often but I will pray again for them tonight.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #162
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Isn't that what happened with the plane that hit the Pentagon? It went in at such a speed that it pulled the wings in and made that small hole where most of the wreckage got sucked inside.

My guess is that it got hijacked by terrorists and the controls were fought over, causing a nose-dive, or the captain/co-pilot locked the other pilot out of the cabin and then suicided the entire plane.

It is so sad to think about all of those innocent people. I don't pray often but I will pray again for them tonight.
I don't believe an aircraft actually hit the pentagon, more like a missile or something but that's what I think.
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-09-2014, 06:39 PM   #163
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
There is absolutely no way a commercial airliner hit the Pentagon or went down in a field in Pennsylvania and completely vaporized. But that's another discussion for another thread.

This Greek Air Force Mirage hit the water and remained almost completely intact, sinking to the ocean floor. It is however a much smaller and more rigid fuselage than a commercial airliner.

Last edited by JDął; 03-09-2014 at 06:46 PM.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #164
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Since there was a group of semi conductor workers on the plane... maybe it was a planned terrorist hijack to kidnap these people to make bombs for them

EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #165
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
wonder if governments like the US are using their spy satellites to search for the plane or would that be considered a waste of resources
Not completely what you were asking however this adds to the story

Pentagon Data Suggests Jet Didn't Explode: New York Times - NBC News

Quote:
"Preliminary surveillance data" examined by the Pentagon suggests the missing Malaysia Airlines jet did not explode over the South China Sea, according to The New York Times.

The newspaper cited a U.S. government official who spoke on the condition of anonymity as suggesting "a system that looks for flashes around the world" had not identified any sign of a blast. NBC News could not immediately confirm the report.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy View Post
Not completely what you were asking however this adds to the story

Pentagon Data Suggests Jet Didn't Explode: New York Times - NBC News
if there is no debris field, isnt it obvious that the plane didnt explode or disintegrate unless the plane was completely vaporized

maybe the plane landed in the water and sank, sort of what happened in that new york river plane landing
Old 03-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #167

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
if there is no debris field, isnt it obvious that the plane didnt explode or disintegrate unless the plane was completely vaporized

maybe the plane landed in the water and sank, sort of what happened in that new york river plane landing
If they laid it in there as nicely as Sully, I'd assume you'd have a debris field of life jackets and people floating around the ocean after the plane sunk.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #168
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post
If the aircraft was put in to an intentional dive it may be a different scenario. The aircraft would be supersonic very quickly even at idle throttle. If it "penciled in" ie. hit the water nose first straight down the impact would be devastating though much of the fuselage itself might remain intact trapping luggage and bodies inside and carrying them down. However the wings and probably tail would shear off and there would still be debris but it may be very localized. Without knowing the aircrafts exact location it would be like finding a needle in a haystack before the evidence eventually sinks and is carried away by the current. As it is the debris has already had 2-3 days to drift or sink.
Something similar (at least initially) happened with a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ValuJet_Flight_592 several years ago: the whole thing was essentially swallowed by the swamp, with practically no floating debris and almost no visible impact crater.

Other cases have had planes going down in thick jungles that literally close back in over them, making the wrecks extremely difficult to find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #169

If it was an act of terror similar to this, (SilkAir Flight 185 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) would the outcome of scattered debris be the same?
My father has actually been flying in Asia for the last three years, I was speaking to him about it and he said often times there are lots of 'no radar' zones through out the area.
Hope they figure this out soon.
Posted via RS Mobile
When I say similar to this in no way am I accusing crew of anything, more so the aircraft being hijacked.
Another point my Dad made was if this was an act of terrorism, why hasn't any one claimed to be responsible?
MikeHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 PM   #170
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,386 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHB View Post
If it was an act of terror similar to this, (SilkAir Flight 185 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) would the outcome of scattered debris be the same?
My father has actually been flying in Asia for the last three years, I was speaking to him about it and he said often times there are lots of 'no radar' zones through out the area.
Hope they figure this out soon.
Posted via RS Mobile
When I say similar to this in no way am I accusing crew of anything, more so the aircraft being hijacked.
Another point my Dad made was if this was an act of terrorism, why hasn't any one claimed to be responsible?
You don't necessarily need to have a group or organization take credit for something to terrorize the public. Afterall, some people just want to watch the world burn.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #171
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
What a horrific few days it's been for the families of the victims. It's unimaginable not knowing what happen or if they'll ever recover the bodies. And authorities will probably be reconstructing and collecting debris from this crash for years.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #172
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post

Some experts were discussing that on tv just now they believed it was possible for this pilot to land it in the water but noted that it was at night and suggested that would make it unlikely
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #173
My homepage has been set to RS

Ive been meaning to ask members here for an honest answer to this question:
If terrorism did happen in your flight,would you have the courage to try and do something to stop it? Ask yourselves honestly...
Posted via RS Mobile
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #174
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Thats a pretty broad question better fitted for somewhere other than a thread that has been pretty relevant to the situation so far other than a few absolutely retarded theories. Obviously, like anything, it depends on a multitude of factors.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:50 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymura View Post
Ive been meaning to ask members here for an honest answer to this question:
If terrorism did happen in your flight,would you have the courage to try and do something to stop it? Ask yourselves honestly...
Posted via RS Mobile
Doesn't matter what you answer, nothing counts until you are faced with that situation.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: