REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #201
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'm sorry, but this article just screams "written by someone with no concept of technology". Just because the author thinks it should be possible, doesn't mean it is possible. You might be able to get wifi on a domestic flight, but I doubt both the ability for a system like this to work in an area such as this, and the difficulty in getting the tech into the field in large-scale use.

Once again. I can probably say I am one of few people on this board that actually has enough experience to know a little bit of what is going on. I fly the things, I should know. I've seen a few crash sites up close and personal. I've seen debris fields, and carnage an aircraft can do to solid earth. I have many colleagues/friends that have passed away (I count 10, from 3 different incidents from 737's to 172's).

The technology in aviation is decades behind the rest of the world. If you don't think there is technology to send information via satellite back to a home base you are so wrong. It just costs money. If anyone has used a Satellite phone in the bush, you know what it costs. Most overseas aircraft have them nowadays. Thankfully the airline I work for is in the process of installing sat/gps on the last few overseas aircraft we have, so we at least have some sort on communication throughout the flight. We use it every day. I will use it today when I fly to Tokyo. The next step is to get it to automatically send GPS coordinates and system information back to home base. Our dispatch office has the ability to follow our aircraft on their computer screen. Why is this not implemented everywhere?

General aviation, recreational snowmobilers, backcountry skiers use a device called "Spot". It is basically a GPS transmitter, which sends GPS coordinates back home every few minutes. Anyone with the correct web address can follow their loved one, and get an update every few minutes. Did I mention this thing is like ~$100? Why is this not implemented everywhere? Rules and regulations are decades behind…..
Advertisement

Last edited by hud 91gt; 03-10-2014 at 11:09 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #202
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,720 Times in 691 Posts
^That spot trace device is pretty cool.

I will definitely look into getting one

Here is the link for their website;
http://www.findmespot.ca/en/
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #203
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
General aviation, recreational snowmobilers, backcountry skiers use a device called "Spot". It is basically a GPS transmitter, which sends GPS coordinates back home every few minutes. Anyone with the correct web address can follow their loved one, and get an update every few minutes. Did I mention this thing is like ~$100? Why is this not implemented everywhere? Rules and regulations are decades behind…..
Regs aside, what's to stop one of the flight crew from just tossing one of these things in their travel bag or even in a pocket when they board for their shift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #204

Nothing, except their wallet. Oh and Transport Canada's law of turning off all sending and receiving devices

The reality of it is. The point of an airline is not to get people safely from point A to B. It is a business. It is there to make money. The execs, and the share holders. Sure, an impeccable safety record probably means this money can continue to come in for a long period of time. But life is all about risk management. Technology is there to increase safety, but this is going to cost money. The airlines themselves will not push to increase regulations, as that would cost money. That is the job of the worlds governing bodies. The governing bodies won't change the regulations until something horrible happens. Generally costing the lives of good people. Perhaps something like this incident.

I don't have a fancy degree, just a college diploma from a tiny little college. But it doesn't take a whole lot of book smarts to figure this out. The technology is there. Someone has to act on it.

For those scared of flying. This is not here to scare or intimidate anyone. It's just a fact of life, that can be seen in any industry. Flying is incredibly safe. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't. But there is always room for improvement, and it's in everyones dreams that it could be perfect. I'm happy to say, I am very comfortable in the work atmosphere that I am in. I feel safe, and fairly well regulated. The fact of the matter is. It could be even better.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 03-10-2014 at 11:14 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #205
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

if what you say is true, then I hope technology does catch up, but I have a feeling that will take at least a decade before any real change happens? I just hope the airlines act faster than that. Also most likely those fees will be passed on to consumers.

We also have to keep in mind that in a lot of rural or poor countries they may not be able to afford such technologies perhaps.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #206
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
I wonder how many businesses out there are still running off of Windows XP.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #207
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Wrong thread

Last edited by Hondaracer; 03-10-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #208

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I know it's been dabbled on in other threads but I'd appreciate if anyone has any input as the best way to upgrade to business class?

The flight in question will be the second leg of our trip to Paris from Toronto to CDG

On that leg we will be playing on air Canada's A330-300

Is it best to try the day we arrive in Toronto, when we board the first leg in Vamcouver? Or right at the gate?
Posted via RS Mobile
lol wat

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #209
Old School RS

Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,198 Posts
I find it absolutely unbelievable that an aircraft can just "vanish" in this day and age, it's straight out of a movie. So much tracking, so much info, and yet just vanish. Amazing.

Last edited by lowside67; 03-10-2014 at 11:46 AM.
lowside67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #210
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I know it's been dabbled on in other threads but I'd appreciate if anyone has any input as the best way to upgrade to business class?

The flight in question will be the second leg of our trip to Paris from Toronto to CDG

On that leg we will be playing on air Canada's A330-300

Is it best to try the day we arrive in Toronto, when we board the first leg in Vamcouver? Or right at the gate?
Posted via RS Mobile
Relevant Randy over here...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #211

Part of the "problem", if you want to look at it that way, is also that in the complex systems that you're dealing with here, you can't just chuck in the latest tech and let'er rip. It's not like your car where you can just rip out your stock tape deck and hook a new DVD nav system. New tech has to be tested extensively to ensure it won't cause problems with other, more critical systems... that it will work reliably itself (nothing like putting in a new system "that will save lives" and then have to explain afterward that it didn't work because of something nobody thought of before)... so on, and so forth.

Then once you've perfected it, the various regulatory bodies have to test it again to their own satisfaction, and sign off on it.

By that time you're into it to for major coin, not just for your own R&D, but for the regulatory testing (oh yes, the manufacturer pays for all that too). Now you have to try to sell it to the airlines for a high enough price to cover your own costs, and they have to factor in their own costs to install it in their fleet as well.

Like hud says, now risk management comes into it for the airline - if you're the airline, you're thinking sure, it MAY let me track and find a plane that mysteriously disappears from radar, but how often do planes simply vanish into thin air? We have a half-dozen governments now looking for that plane, those search costs aren't coming out of my pocket, so what's my incentive to pay for this gadget? Besides, even if it does help me find the wreckage, the plane is still down; I still have to replace it.

Somewhere down the road, regulators MAY require it to be installed, but at that point the tech is probably a half-dozen years old or more, which the way things advance today makes it pretty much ancient compared to what you can buy off the shelf at Wal-Mart.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #212
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Relevant Randy over here...
Lol sorry I thought I was in the airplane thread
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #213

Sounds speaks the truth. I'd thank but I'm mobile.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Sounds speaks the truth. I'd thank but I'm mobile.
Posted via RS Mobile
wut
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #215
Old School RS

Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,198 Posts
Quote:
wut
He is agreeing with soundy, two posts earlier, but can't thank the post because there is no thank/fail function on mobile. Not exactly rocket science.

Mark
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #216
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Still nothing! Not even a toilet seat, a panel of sorts or a seat cushion. Really eerie feeling..
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #217
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
wut
god the density of some people!

'wut' do you think (and well explained above)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #218
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
Could it be possible that hijackers have forced the plane to land in areas familiar to many terrorist organizations such as Southern Philippines and parts of Indonesia, Malaysia, or even Burma?

Maybe if that did happened they have the plane and hostages hidden somewhere and are extorting the Airline Company, Malay Government or someone else for ransom or other reasons?
What I have thought too.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
god the density of some people!

'wut' do you think (and well explained above)
wut
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #220

I was going to add an example to that post, and forgot: we recently installed a GPS fleet tracking system into some brand new Hino delivery trucks - they transmit the truck's location via 3G service. Followed the GPS manufacturer's instructions for wiring them in and placing them (they even had specific wiring instructions for these trucks, showing what wires to tie into).

In the first truck, because of differences in the under-dash layout, the receiver had to be mounted close to the vehicle's ECU... took a lot of phone troubleshooting with both the GPS manufacturer and Hino techs to figure out that the 3G signal was causing the trucks to intermittently not start properly, and relocating the receiver by a foot or so cleared it up.

So... yeah. This is why extensive testing and re-testing must be done to certify tech for use on a plane... and re-done for every different design of plane.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #221

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
DigitalGlobe Launches Crowdsourcing Campaign to Find Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet in Satellite Images | Seeing a Better World?
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #222

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
I wonder how many businesses out there are still running off of Windows XP.
I am currently working on a school project with a rep from Siemens. Actually, he is working on another project for my school but my project is somewhat similar so I go bug the Siemens rep and ask for help. He was giving me a tutorial on how to use the Siemens software running on his computer with Win XP and the first question I asked him was why was it on Win XP.

This is because Windows XP is proven to work as expected. Since it is an aging OS, most companies know all there is to know about it when they develop their software, making their software as robust as possible.

I was surprised actually, I would've expected a multi-billion dollar company that has operates in all things electronics to be up to date on the OS. The Siemens rep told me they're slowly adapting to Windows 7 now. But as of now, they still use Win XP.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #223

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
There are a lot of examples of legacy software use. Things like banking networks and ATMs are often on older OS's simply because, like shenmecar mentioned, it works/ed well enough to deploy to the thousands of devices that rely on said software.

Government computers are also notorious for it. IIRC, the US DOD just decided to move off of a special build of XP in favour of a custom UNIX/Linux OS.

For governments, there is a lot of red-tape/work involved with respect to hardware/software upgrades. Especially when sensitive work is involved, companies can often wait many years/software cycles before they're able to ensure that their required software works with a new OS.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #224
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
i dont think anyone mentioned this as a scenario but maybe the US Navy or any other Navy intentionally/unintentionally shot it down and now there tryin to cover it up...
Posted via RS Mobile
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #225
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
i dont think anyone mentioned this as a scenario but maybe the US Navy or any other Navy intentionally/unintentionally shot it down and now there tryin to cover it up...
Posted via RS Mobile
why would they cover it up? how would they do so? the us government isn't an all knowing all powerful entity.

so much logic fail in your post. as stated in this thread often times it can take years to find a crash site.

you don't accidentally shoot down a commercial airliner. you don't shoot it down on purpose because it's a complete non threat to US interests. it's not like this flight was flying over america.

but a weak minded individual will always seek the laziest scenario. oh the big bad evil gubberment done blowed dem up out der sky!