REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:21 AM   #251
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I just hope they locate the black box before the battery dies. I believe the max is 30 days before that happens.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:52 AM   #252
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Latest:

Malaysia's military believes it tracked a missing jetliner by radar over the Strait of Malacca, far from where it last made contact with civilian air traffic control

All airlines have a control rooms that track their planes and have contact with the cockpit, seems like there's been "selective" info coming out about where exactly the plane was. Maybe the attention should turn to what does MH really know about the plane. And are they covering their tracks because they know something was mechanical wrong with the aircraft but hiding info to possibly protect themselves from legal issues.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 04:38 AM   #253
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
^ to add onto above:

Quote:
air force chief Rodzali Daud as saying the Malaysia Airlines plane was last detected by military radar at 2:40 a.m. on Saturday, near the island of Pulau Perak at the northern end of the Strait of Malacca. It was flying at a height of about 9,000 metres (29,500 ft), he was quoted as saying.
- Pulau Perak
- 29,500 ft
- This is...1 hr 10mins AFTER the radar "lost track" of the plane

This explains why they started sending the US Navy to search the West of Malaysia yesterday already. They are definitely being selective in what kind of info they are releasing to the public...
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #254
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Wow, sounds like a hijacking for sure now. Maybe there is some hope that the people are still alive?

The families of the people on those planes must be going through hell.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #255
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
from the bbc:

"Interpol Secretary General Ronald Noble said the two men had travelled from Qatar's capital Doha on their Iranian passports, and switched to stolen Italian and Austrian passports to board the Malaysia Airlines flight."

can someone explain to me why they needed to swap passports - i appreciate that being European (well, passport at least) and taking a flight to Europe (indirectly) is better, but surely the risk of flying on a stolen passport is way higher than the risk of having a temporary visa denied once you land - especially if they were looking to immigrate to the EU nations - they'd either be going legally (unlikely) or claiming asylum or something in that ilk - either way, i just don't get the need to fly on stolen passports

for the record, i'm not saying they're doing anything related to the plane, and i'm not sure how it works having an iranian passport, i've got an EU and a Cdn passport, and i appreciate having those two passports!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #256
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
^ to add onto above:

- Pulau Perak
- 29,500 ft

This explains why they started sending the US Navy to search the West of Malaysia yesterday already. They are definitely being selective in what kind of info they are releasing to the public...
what's the source of this?

but yes, totally was lost as to why tehy were looking that side of malaysia

now, can one explain how one hijacks a plane? the cockpit is locked and security should pick up any weapons (let's assume security does it's job most of the time)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #257
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I'm really confused now. it doesn't help that the media uses the terms, radar, ATC, and "tracking" pretty much synonymously
Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #258
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
It was already discussed days? ago that radar suggested the plane may have turned around and that's why they were already searching the strait of Malacca
Why did it turn around? There was obviously technical problems with the plane, maybe the captain decided it was closer/better to return to KUL for an emergency landing?

Also the investigators suggested (during the press conference) that there may be psychological issues with certain members of the crew / ''someone may have taken a huge insurance policy out on themselves for their family'' it wasn't certain if he was being oddly hypothetical or amazingly blunt
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #259
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I know conspiracy theories aren't a welcome thing on this forum and I usually don't bandwagon the US is evil BS. But perhaps those 20 FreeScale Semiconductor employees were working on a secret government project and decided to defect to China. Maybe the 2 Iranians with stolen passports were IRGC agents trying to steal what they can before the plane made it to China or maybe the Freescale employees tried to triple cross China and piss of both China and the US by selling secrets to Iran causing either to shootdown the plane. Either that or Aliens. >_<
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #260
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
^ shut your whore mouth
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #261
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
I'm not talking about Wifi and 4G,
I know, I was just kind of filling in info
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
suck it bigots

(now the bigots will call for us to not jump to conclusions and see how this turns out)
WAT?? RS NEVER jumps to conclusions!
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #263
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
wow. someone above was wondering how hijackers could have gotten into the cockpit... :

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Co-Pilot Invited Tourists into Cockpit in 'Crazy' Security Breach
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #264
Witness protection

this is creepy:

Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Passengers' Mobile Phones Ring But Not Answered
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #265
Witness protection

just to back up what someone else posted above:

Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source | Reuters

i don't get it. they knew about this and still let search teams waste time searching the wrong area???

Last edited by thumper; 03-11-2014 at 08:20 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #266
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Can the next person who posts about the damn phones ringing get points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
^ to add onto above:

- Pulau Perak
- 29,500 ft

This is also ~400 miles from where they said last contact was, going in the wrong direction and not really towards Kuala Lumpur. To top it off, according to this: Crash: Malaysia B772 over Gulf of Thailand on Mar 8th 2014, aircraft missing they originally listed the last contact as 02:40L originally (the time of this location near Pulau Perak), and then corrected it to 01:30L.

So either the military radar isn't very dependable (which could be possible, if the planes radar systems were shut off I assume the military could only see the plane, not know which plane it is) , or some fuckheads have known the whole time that the plane was nowhere near where they said it was.

Disclaimer: Slightly goofy theory/question below
edit: and now I'm wondering, if they had a massive communications issue so planes radar systems are off, they can't talk to anyone (and lets assume nav systems are screwy too, they guesstimated the U turn back towards Kuala Lumpur and were off) and they show up on the military radar as a bigass jet not on a designated flight path, what would the military do? I have a hard time thinking they would just ignore that and not send a jet or something.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 03-11-2014 at 08:46 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #267
Rs has made me the man i am today!

People are failing his post but not explaining why in the article that some calls are connecting and being hung up from the other end. Maybe a telecommunication expert on RS can explain further.

Still cannot fathom how a 777 has just disappeared.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 AM   #268

Men with Stolen Passport Identified

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/11/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #269
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

What exactly is considered "hung up", like someone picks up says hello and hangs up or the phone saying connected for 2 seconds and then losing connection? I bet you it's just conspiracy theorist mad that their little "phone going busy" shenanigans was debunked so now they pulling shit out of their ass.

Last edited by Ball.J.Inder; 03-11-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
What exactly is considered "hung up", like someone picks up says hello and hangs up or the phone saying connected for 2 seconds and then losing connection? I bet you it's just conspiracy theorist mad that they're little "phone going busy" shenanigans was debunked so now they pulling shit out of their ass.
This an excerpt from the website

Quote:
A man from Beijing also called his missing brother on the plane, and reported to the airlines that the phone connected three times and rang before appearing to hang up, according to Shanghai Daily. Media reports claim that the brother had called the number in the presence of reporters before informing the airline.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
People are failing his post but not explaining why in the article that some calls are connecting and being hung up from the other end. Maybe a telecommunication expert on RS can explain further.

Still cannot fathom how a 777 has just disappeared.
It's not being "hung up from the other end", it's just not connecting. The ringing in cell phones is faked anyways, it's not like old land line to land line where the ring you heard was the other persons phone ringing, it's just there to let you know it's trying to make the call. Have you never tried calling someones cell after they misplaced it? You get ringing for a second or two before their phone starts going off. Do you really think the plane was landed somewhere within range of cell towers by people who wouldn't bother to take everyone's phones and shut them off/destroy them?

To verify that, I just tried to call my personal cell phone (which is off) from my work cell phone. I'll get ringing despite the other phone definitely not being connected.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #272
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,221 Times in 1,387 Posts
Ringing phones mean nothing. The phone on the receiver's end may not be ringing.

Malaysia Airlines Passengers' Phones Ringing? Maybe Not - NBC News
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Can the next person who posts about the damn phones ringing get points?

This is also ~400 miles from where they said last contact was, going in the wrong direction and not really towards Kuala Lumpur. To top it off, according to this: Crash: Malaysia B772 over Gulf of Thailand on Mar 8th 2014, aircraft missing they originally listed the last contact as 02:40L originally (the time of this location near Pulau Perak), and then corrected it to 01:30L.

So either the military radar isn't very dependable (which could be possible, if the planes radar systems were shut off I assume the military could only see the plane, not know which plane it is) , or some fuckheads have known the whole time that the plane was nowhere near where they said it was.

Disclaimer: Slightly goofy theory/question below
edit: and now I'm wondering, if they had a massive communications issue so planes radar systems are off, they can't talk to anyone (and lets assume nav systems are screwy too, they guesstimated the U turn back towards Kuala Lumpur and were off) and they show up on the military radar as a bigass jet not on a designated flight path, what would the military do? I have a hard time thinking they would just ignore that and not send a jet or something.
Here's the thing: RADAR doesn't tell anyone what plane it's showing, it just shows an object. They could have picked up a different plane on a similar course and an operator mistook it for the airliner in question.

In fact, there seems to be a little confusion as to exactly how RADAR works: all it does is send out a pulse of radio waves, and IF some are reflected back, it calculates the distance the object is by the time it takes the signal to return. Speed toward or away from the array can be determined by Doppler shift; speed perpendicular to the array can be determined by position change between sweeps.

As has been already noted, civilian RADAR has an effective maximum distance of 120 miles or so - this is because radio waves disperse over distance... same as shining a flashlight on distant trees. The further the object, the weaker the signal, the less reliable it gets. You can get more range with a tighter beam, but at the expense of coverage area and only being able to scan a small area (picture a flashlight you can focus from a wide beam to a narrow spot).

The plane's own RADAR systems have nothing to do with their tracking on the ground; those are there to show the plane's crew what's around it in the sky.
Quote:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
They're failing him because this has already been covered.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Here's the thing: RADAR doesn't tell anyone what plane it's showing, it just shows an object. They could have picked up a different plane on a similar course and an operator mistook it for the airliner in question.

<snip>

The plane's own RADAR systems have nothing to do with their tracking on the ground; those are there to show the plane's crew what's around it in the sky.
I know the basics of how it works, but I could've sworn someone mentioned earlier that the planes systems also send info to the ground IDing the plane and giving more accurate info.

edit: maybe radar isn't the correct term for the system I'm thinking of. Is there one that does what I described?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: