REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #776
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
Just because it's a drone doesn't mean it'll be able to cover more than a search plane with ppl staring out the window? How is it cheaper, you still have to maintain and fuel the drones like any other aircraft? And the reason they send ppl is because debris looks pretty much all the same from the sky and ppl are sent to get a closer look.
And as we've already seen, spotted debris without people around to pick it up ASAP (ie via satellite) seems to result in the debris disappearing.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #777
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
And as we've already seen, spotted debris without people around to pick it up ASAP (ie via satellite) seems to result in the debris disappearing.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #778
I subscribe to Revscene

Kevin Barret speculates the U.S. remotely hijacked the plane because of radar workers going to China. 18:30 + minute mark
_youtube.com/watch?v=B9XZV4vxjtU
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #779
Need my Daily Fix of RS

New update, looks like this is it.

Quote:
A Thai satellite has detected about 300 objects floating in the Indian Ocean near the search area for the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner.

Anond Snidvongs, director of Thailand's space technology development agency, said Thursday the images showed "300 objects of various sizes" in the southern Indian Ocean about 2,700 kilometres southwest of Perth.
Most likely the debris field unless another ship somehow sank nearby.
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 01:14 AM   #780
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball.J.Inder View Post
Just because it's a drone doesn't mean it'll be able to cover more than a search plane with ppl staring out the window? How is it cheaper, you still have to maintain and fuel the drones like any other aircraft? And the reason they send ppl is because debris looks pretty much all the same from the sky and ppl are sent to get a closer look.
I believe flight time drones can have a longer standby time. Also, it's a handful of eyes looking into the ocean for 2 hours, there's human error and eye strain involved. With drones' live feed/ various flir and other sensors it's much more superior plus, if its captured it can easily crowd source the search.

The debris looks the same because they're from satellite shots. If you have drones overhead, they can fly closer in without the risk of life. Plus, they can run overlap on search grids too.

I'm not saying don't use people. I'm saying they could've existing technology to facilitate a faster search, and the only reason they're not is because of national security (drone capabilities, etc)
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:41 AM   #781
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobbt View Post

i think it's time we find it and get closure for the families - it's obvious by now that it went down, most likely off Australia, why? we don't know, but i'm glad we're going to eventually get answers, and as said, more importantly, closure for the families

i do feel for them, having hope is the worst thing in times like this, as in reality, we all knew it was gone... the roller coaster ride these poor people went through, my heart goes out to them
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #782

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i think it's time we find it
You say that like they've been stalling intentionally.

Oh right, they have.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #783
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
i think it's time we find it and get closure for the families - it's obvious by now that it went down, most likely off Australia, why? we don't know, but i'm glad we're going to eventually get answers, and as said, more importantly, closure for the families

i do feel for them, having hope is the worst thing in times like this, as in reality, we all knew it was gone... the roller coaster ride these poor people went through, my heart goes out to them
Is hard for the family for sure, but I think most news media is making it way worse than it is........
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #784
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,983 Times in 1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarobbt View Post

OK. I'll patiently wait for the images of the "300 objects of various sizes" that were conveniently not shown anywhere.

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #785
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
I believe flight time drones can have a longer standby time. Also, it's a handful of eyes looking into the ocean for 2 hours, there's human error and eye strain involved. With drones' live feed/ various flir and other sensors it's much more superior plus, if its captured it can easily crowd source the search.

The debris looks the same because they're from satellite shots. If you have drones overhead, they can fly closer in without the risk of life. Plus, they can run overlap on search grids too.

I'm not saying don't use people. I'm saying they could've existing technology to facilitate a faster search, and the only reason they're not is because of national security (drone capabilities, etc)
Longer flight time doesn't mean jack shit if they can't even get to the search area. Drones have an average range of 1000 miles. Basically 500 miles 1 way then 500 miles the other. It would barely get to the search area before turning back. You clearly have no idea regarding the technology of drones and their limitations. This is real life, not mission impossible/James bond/call of duty.
Posted via RS Mobile
supremematt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #786
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
I think they're more concerned with finding it soon, before the locator beacons on the flight recorders run out of battery power. Closure is fine and dandy and can happen eventually, but they have barely two weeks to find the black boxes before they may never be able to find them, and never get closer to figuring out what happened... and then what closure will anyone have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #787
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Supposedly a MH technician told some reporter that the batteries on the pinger on all MH planes were not stored properly and were stored in high temp/high humidity which would decrease the battery life from 30 days to 15 days. He also said he had most of the batteries replaced in the aircraft's but the work was slow and doesn't know if the batteries were replaced on MH370.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #788
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I would argue that the only bit of good news at this point is the fact that Australian authorities are now--to a certain extent--spearheading the search operations. I have a lot more confidence in the Aussie's ability to effectively manage and conduct a fruitful search and recovery operation as opposed to Malaysia's.

At this point, if the weather doesn't run a muck in the search area we should probably hear some good news in the coming days.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #789
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
OK. I'll patiently wait for the images of the "300 objects of various sizes" that were conveniently not shown anywhere.

Take a seat buddy. I will be sure to let China to know your next in line for pics and data.
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #790
rsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremematt85 View Post
Longer flight time doesn't mean jack shit if they can't even get to the search area. Drones have an average range of 1000 miles. Basically 500 miles 1 way then 500 miles the other. It would barely get to the search area before turning back. You clearly have no idea regarding the technology of drones and their limitations. This is real life, not mission impossible/James bond/call of duty.
Posted via RS Mobile
The Northrop Grumman RQ-4 Global Hawk is an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) surveillance aircraft. It was initially designed by Ryan Aeronautical (now part of Northrop Grumman), and known as Tier II+ during development. In role and operational design, the Global Hawk is similar to the Lockheed U-2. The RQ-4 provides a broad overview and systematic surveillance using high resolution synthetic aperture radar (SAR) and long-range electro-optical/infrared (EO/IR) sensors with long loiter times over target areas. It can survey as much as 40,000 square miles (100,000 km2) of terrain a day.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #791
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
^what kind of paper was the brochure on? Was it a 2 fold brochure, or more of a magazine style?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #792
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Good news! The spot they've been looking this week where they have confirmed it went down.... well now Australia is shifting the search about 1100kms north following another 'credible lead' and are searching an area that is 319,000 square kilometres. Which is about 1/3rd the size of BC. Good luck mate.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #793
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
^what kind of paper was the brochure on? Was it a 2 fold brochure, or more of a magazine style?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremematt85 View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
am I reading something wrong?

General Characteristics
Primary function: High-altitude, long-endurance ISR
Fuel Capacity: 17,300 pounds (7847 kilograms)
Payload: 3,000 pounds (1,360 kilograms)
Speed: 310 knots (357 mph)
Range: 8,700 nautical miles
Ceiling: 60,000 feet (18,288 meters)
Crew (remote): Three (LRE pilot, MCE pilot, and sensor operator)

(taken from US Air Force website)

According to news 2 hours ago, the search site is now 1150 miles from Perth, making the round trip 2300 miles. To be safe, count 3500 miles, which allows for around 5200 miles worth of gas to search the area in circles.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #794
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I think the only drone with that kind of range is the global hawk. I doubt they will devote a $100+ million drone for this kind of operation.

Manned craft are more numerous and cheaper to operate.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #795
rsx

da fuq do i know, like 90% of people I'm an armchair SAR expert lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #796

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar604 View Post
I think the only drone with that kind of range is the global hawk. I doubt they will devote a $100+ million drone for this kind of operation.

Manned craft are more numerous and cheaper to operate.
One type of plane the US is using costs 200 mill each.

Boeing P-8 Poseidon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mis...n-ocean-n63866

Also who knows it a country is using drones, I think they would keep that a secret.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:17 AM   #797
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Canada has the same planes. We call them the aurora.
Posted via RS Mobile
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:59 AM   #798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
Canada has the same planes. We call them the aurora.
Posted via RS Mobile
You are thinking Orion. Poseidon's are brand new and based on the 737
Posted via RS Mobile
CRX SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #799

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Not that I can't appreciate the personal impact of this disaster, but I am so EFFFFFFFING sick of seeing this shit on CNN everyday.

"New debris" "New theory" "New Expert" etc... anything they can do to keep the story on the front page since there is nothing more interesting to write about. Scumbag news outlets.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #800
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Not that I can't appreciate the personal impact of this disaster, but I am so EFFFFFFFING sick of seeing this shit on CNN everyday.

"New debris" "New theory" "New Expert" etc... anything they can do to keep the story on the front page since there is nothing more interesting to write about. Scumbag news outlets.
Meanwhile in Russia...
KingKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: