REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Take out in Brentwood area (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693530-take-out-brentwood-area.html)

Expresso 03-14-2014 07:23 AM

Take out in Brentwood area

Whats everyones favourite take out joint in the brentwood area?

Something besides White spot, churches, sushi garden lol.

Jgresch 03-14-2014 07:28 AM

I do anton's take out quite a bit around there. Panago is right there too. Joey's does take out as well i believe...

Mr.HappySilp 03-14-2014 07:32 AM

S Sushi!

Spoon 03-14-2014 07:53 AM

Sushimoto's not bad. Quality is slightly better than sushi garden, but prices are a tad higher too.

If you don't mind turning on an oven, I sometimes go to Clancy's Meat Market. Food is good and fairly priced. Miles better than anything from M&M Meat Shop.

melloman 03-14-2014 09:51 AM

Brentwood = PitaPit ---> Gyro's :sweetjesus:

JKam 03-14-2014 10:17 AM

Costco. $1.50 hotdog and drink.

But if you want good food there's nothing. After working in the area for a while I just make my lunch.. way better lol.

Hot Karl 03-14-2014 10:51 AM

chad thai and thai cafe on hastings are pretty good. chad has better reviews if you're just gonna try one.

los compadres used to be good, but new owners made it suuuuuck.

m3thods 03-14-2014 11:05 AM

If you have the time and space to eat it, Cockney Kings in Kensington Plaza can be ready in as little as 5 mins. Excellent fish and chips.

Other than that, maybe Safeway sandwiches? It's not a terrible choice if you're looking to try something new.

Burgers Etc is the closest BBQ place, and it's not bad. I've yet to try the many Greek places on Hastings, so if anyone has any tips on good restaurants I'd be happy to hear them!

I live across from Sushimoto, and honestly the only thing that keeps me as a customer is their aburri salmon belly which is something you can't get at Sushi Garden. As much as I don't prefer Sushi Garden's inconsistency, it's still the best bang for buck sushi place in the area.

CRS 03-14-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 8435769)
If you have the time and space to eat it, Cockney Kings in Kensington Plaza can be ready in as little as 5 mins. Excellent fish and chips.

Other than that, maybe Safeway sandwiches? It's not a terrible choice if you're looking to try something new.

Burgers Etc is the closest BBQ place, and it's not bad. I've yet to try the many Greek places on Hastings, so if anyone has any tips on good restaurants I'd be happy to hear them!

I live across from Sushimoto, and honestly the only thing that keeps me as a customer is their aburri salmon belly which is something you can't get at Sushi Garden. As much as I don't prefer Sushi Garden's inconsistency, it's still the best bang for buck sushi place in the area.

Gaya sushi is a pretty good option as well.

m3thods 03-14-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8435821)
Gaya sushi is a pretty good option as well.

That's actually the one I frequent the most, but didn't think it was in the "Brentwood" area so I didn't list it.

Some maki are not as well executed as Sushi Garden (dynamite rolls come to mind), but I go there often for their chicken teriyaki hot plate, alaska combo, and hot night roll. It can get pretty busy at dinner time, but lunch time is pretty dead since there isn't many businesses in the area.

ZN6 03-14-2014 01:56 PM

There's a ramen place on hastings and willingdon on the south east corner. No too close to brentwood but not too far either. I liked their curry ramen. Not sure if they do takeout but decent restaurant nevertheless.

m3thods 03-14-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZN6 (Post 8435882)
There's a ramen place on hastings and willingdon on the south east corner. No too close to brentwood but not too far either. I liked their curry ramen. Not sure if they do takeout but decent restaurant nevertheless.

Probably this:

Hakkaku Ramen ?? - North Burnaby - Burnaby | Urbanspoon

Has good reviews. My fiancee liked it. My good friend got sick. I haven't tried it personally so I can't vouch for either. I'm not the biggest ramen fan, but it's nice to have a good restaurant nearby. (On the strict topic of ramen, I hear the new place on Royal Oak where the double murder happened is also very good- Kamamarui Ramen & Sushi - South Burnaby - Burnaby | Urbanspoon)

CRS 03-14-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 8435942)
Probably this:

Hakkaku Ramen ?? - North Burnaby - Burnaby | Urbanspoon

Has good reviews. My fiancee liked it. My good friend got sick. I haven't tried it personally so I can't vouch for either. I'm not the biggest ramen fan, but it's nice to have a good restaurant nearby. (On the strict topic of ramen, I hear the new place on Royal Oak where the double murder happened is also very good- Kamamarui Ramen & Sushi - South Burnaby - Burnaby | Urbanspoon)

I've been meaning to try this place out for some time now but haven't ever been in the area without having a plan on where to eat.

kakucaekz 03-14-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8435707)
Brentwood = PitaPit ---> Gyro's :sweetjesus:

Brentwood also = PitaKing ---> Chicken Shawerma platter or pita. :sweetjesus:

k3mps 03-15-2014 09:10 PM

X-Cite does takeout too. Hastings and Beta or Alpha, can't remember

m3thods 03-16-2014 06:12 PM

Yup XSite is an old favourite. I still go there from time to time. I love their honey-mustard (which I think is made in-house).

MR_BIGGS 03-16-2014 06:27 PM

Another vote for x-site.

MASTER_J 03-17-2014 10:35 AM

I just got takeout from Happy Valley Chinese Restaurant, it's just a short drive on broadway and rupert, a few mins from brentwood. The place is usually jam packed during dim sum. Got some takeout beef fried noodle and fried rice, it was really delicious. I would say it's one of the better chinese spots in Burnaby, since there aren't very many. This place is alot better Double one, happy kitchen, and Paul's. It's a full chinese seafood restaurant so it's better than all the smaller western style chinese places in Burnaby.

Only other full chinese seafood restaurant worth getting takeout is Wah Lun on Hastings and Willingdon or Golden Lake on hastings and Boundary area (Vancouver side).

m3thods 03-17-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MASTER_J (Post 8438155)
I just got takeout from Happy Valley Chinese Restaurant, it's just a short drive on broadway and rupert, a few mins from brentwood. The place is usally jam packed during dim sum. Got some takeout beef fried noodle and fried rice, it was really delicious. I would say it's one of the better chinese spots in Burnaby, since there aren't very many. This place alot better Double one, happy kitchen, and Paul's. It's a full chinese seafood restaurant so it's better than all the smaller western style chinese places in Burnaby.

It's technically in Vancouver ;)

But I agree- it's one of the better restaurants in the area for an all-around meal. I've been a few times for peking duck/random things and they've been "good enough".

Certain things I get a specific restaurants. For example, I go to North Garden (not in Brentwood area) for Shanghai chicken, beef/black bean sauce, and yeung chow rice. Unfortunately, I can't get that anywhere near Brentwood, so I make the slightly further drive out to Lougheed Mall lol

It's too bad there isn't a better Chinese spot in the Hastings Heights area- so many more Italian/Greek spots, and they mostly suck :(

MASTER_J 03-17-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 8438175)
It's technically in Vancouver ;)

But I agree- it's one of the better restaurants in the area for an all-around meal. I've been a few times for peking duck/random things and they've been "good enough".

Certain things I get a specific restaurants. For example, I go to North Garden (not in Brentwood area) for Shanghai chicken, beef/black bean sauce, and yeung chow rice. Unfortunately, I can't get that anywhere near Brentwood, so I make the slightly further drive out to Lougheed Mall lol

It's too bad there isn't a better Chinese spot in the Hastings Heights area- so many more Italian/Greek spots, and they mostly suck :(

Yeah you're right, it's technically on Vancouver side, I just consider it my Burnaby area since I live at Oma and it's literally a 2-3 min drive.. haha

Expresso 03-17-2014 12:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Ramen sounds interesting!

MASTER_J 03-17-2014 01:44 PM

Has anyone ever tried that So Crab So Good place? This probably isn't a takeout place but i just thought i mention it. I've noticed this restaurant a few months ago and I'm curious to see if they're even good or editable lol. It's nearHastings and Edmonds, on the second floor with the yellow awning. I think they're like that boiling crab/crab pot style restaurant serving seafood/crab/crawfish stuff. It's such a weird location and would never think of having that kind of restaurant there....

JKam 03-18-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 8435751)
chad thai and thai cafe on hastings are pretty good. chad has better reviews if you're just gonna try one.

los compadres used to be good, but new owners made it suuuuuck.

Sorry chad thai is gross. Their pad thai was just ketchup noodles and other noodle dishes were super oily with bits and ends of veggies.

Had a curry there too, it was ok. Nothing special. My experience was from 2 years ago so maybe it got better.

k3mps 03-18-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKam (Post 8439235)
Sorry chad thai is gross. Their pad thai was just ketchup noodles and other noodle dishes were super oily with bits and ends of veggies.

Had a curry there too, it was ok. Nothing special. My experience was from 2 years ago so maybe it got better.

it hasn't