REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Rich foreign student fined for undeclared goods (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693543-rich-foreign-student-fined-undeclared-goods.html)

Gululu 03-14-2014 02:28 PM

Rich foreign student fined for undeclared goods

Quote:

Wealthy foreign student wants visa renewed after dodging customs

http://i.imgur.com/1UTcWZx.jpg

A “wealthy” Chinese national who only claimed $710 in purchases but brought back $57,000 in luxury goods from Hermes in Las Vegas has been convicted and fined following a Crown appeal.

Xiaochen Zhao, a University of Victoria student here on visa, had her charges stayed earlier on condition of community service after a judge heard she’d likely be “inadmissible” in Canada with a conviction.

In a Wednesday decision, however, the B.C. Court of Appeal disagreed. It said immigration issues “must not divert the judge” from an appropriate sentence.

The court found the frequent traveller — a 24-year-old economics student and daughter of a wealthy Beijing businessman — had twice brought back undeclared goods in the space of a month in November 2011.

Various Hermes products, “including a handbag, wallet, shoes, jewellery, scarves, and accessories” — gifts for her parents, she told the court — were undeclared when she was caught after flying back into Canada.

Paying the court-ordered fine of $10,000 wasn’t the issue. Zhao, the court heard, was in the final year of her university program and wanted to remain in Canada to finish it — with the possibility of entering a financial career in the country. The conviction would have put her status in Canada in jeopardy.

“We are not faced with the limited adjustment to an otherwise fit sentence to avoid unnecessary consequences,” Justice Edward Chiasson wrote in the appeal decision.

“This case involves abandoning a criminal sanction that is fit and substituting for it a completely different sanction because a conviction might have serious immigration implications for the offender.”

The amount of tax she would’ve had to pay if the goods were declared was $9,000.

Border authorities also order her to pay $15,400, which included penalties.

The court noted whether Zhao is deported would be for immigration authorities to decide.

:whistle::whistle:

white rocket 03-14-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Paying the court-ordered fine of $10,000 wasn’t the issue
well there's a fuckin' shocker. I don't understand why she wouldn't declare everything is she is rich as fuck. Buys $57,000 worth of fashion then tries to be sneaky to save $9k? :rukidding:

sekin67835 03-14-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white rocket (Post 8435898)
well there's a fuckin' shocker. I don't understand why she wouldn't declare everything is she is rich as fuck. Buys $57,000 worth of fashion then tries to be sneaky to save $9k? :rukidding:

How did you think they got rich? By spending? :troll:

Sid Vicious 03-14-2014 02:44 PM

lol thats the contradiction of these people. spend thousands of dollars on pointless useless luxury crap, but are cheap as fuck in other areas

sdubfid 03-14-2014 02:48 PM

that store sounds like a disease

EuterVanWasser 03-14-2014 02:48 PM

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/attac...1309633407.jpg

white rocket 03-14-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sekin67835 (Post 8435905)
How did you think they got rich? By spending? :troll:

You don't get rich by giving stuff away! I get it. Still though, that seems like such a high risk for the savings. I'd push for deportation but I'm a fucking dick. LOL!

GGnoRE 03-14-2014 02:52 PM

Clearly not a very good economics student for sure

z3german 03-14-2014 03:08 PM

1 caught

thousands unanswered for

320icar 03-14-2014 03:09 PM

Fuck him.
Posted via RS Mobile

Gumby 03-14-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8435931)
Fuck him.
Posted via RS Mobile

Her, I think you mean.

HonestTea 03-14-2014 03:13 PM

I'll be the first one to say, just deport her. She broke the law and that's that. There shouldn't be any exceptions regardless.

Fuck her studies, as a university student, she should know better than to try and avoid taxes on luxury goods.

Mr.HappySilp 03-14-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8435931)
Fuck him.
Posted via RS Mobile

Is a her.. I will tap it and then deport her ass out of Canada =D

bballguy 03-14-2014 03:16 PM

I'd deport her ass too...

jeedee 03-14-2014 03:16 PM

I wonder if she'll be on the next episode of Border Security :troll:

FerrariEnzo 03-14-2014 03:16 PM

wasnt she caught before also.. why she still here.. send her ass back...

fliptuner 03-14-2014 03:22 PM

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/...7baf3-2720.gif

Manic! 03-14-2014 03:36 PM

So no one on RS has a mail box across the boarder?

TouringTeg 03-14-2014 03:41 PM

Here is another guy busted trying to bring his restored Chevelle into Canada without declaring the work done.

Sneaking repaired classic car into Canada costs man $55K - Nova Scotia - CBC News

z3german 03-14-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8435957)

Everyone is jumping on the hate the china bandwagon

They are a bunch of cheeky shady cunts doe so I dont mind.

HonestTea 03-14-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

You gonna explain why you failed us or are you just trigger happy?

Tone Loc 03-14-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 (Post 8435055)
Kick her out IMO. We need to set a tougher example to people who do this type of stuff, especially people on Visa where it is a privilege to be in the country. ...If you can afford $50,000+ of luxury goods then you can afford the $9000 duty (from the article) that you must pay. Ridiculous that the Judge didn't want to "inconvenience" this person so he basically ignored the law... sometimes I think we are too tolerant. They don't want someone to be "Inadmissible" ? So what? Do they think she will suddenly become a completely law-abiding person once she becomes a Canadian citizen? Likely no, because she now knows that our gov't is so tolerant. This person knew the rules, consciously lied to save money, is here on a Visa condition that she follow the laws and regulations, and she still decided to break the law. Twice.

As I said before when it was posted earlier.

Quote:

What does that have to do with anything? You still have to declare the stuff, and you get penalized the same if you get caught lying (which is really dumb... let's be real here, the CBSA folks at Point Roberts know you're not there to sightsee when you're only gone for 10 minutes). It's not the fact that this person spent money out-of-country and brought the goods back, or that she's rich, or from China, yada yada yada... but that they lied to customs (and was dumb enough to get caught twice before, mind you) and are now trying to beg for leniency when they were the ones who broke the law instead of doing the right thing and paying the duty.

Moreover, most people I know ship to USA to save on shipping costs and time... nothing like spending $15 for 3-day USPS (good guys) priority mail vs. $40 for 7-10 day UPS (assholes) ground who won't give you your parcel until the last possible day AND with a fat brokerage fee

Jmac 03-14-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestTea (Post 8435964)
You gonna explain why you failed us or are you just trigger happy?

Because tax evasion and knowingly breaking the law while you're on a visa should obviously be tolerated, even encouraged ... Because logic ...

Gumby 03-14-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Having a mail box just across the border allows you to buy stuff that doesn't ship to Canada and/or save on the price of the item. It doesn't mean you bring things back without declaring them.

fliptuner 03-14-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Nope but if I did and when I do come back over with goods, I declare everything.

If it was someone on here that got busted for not claiming $3k worth of car parts, I'd react the same way.

To add, when one visits another country it's just plain stupid to not acquaint one's self with the laws and acceptable behavior within that country.