REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

OBD2 bluetooth adapters, software

Anyone running any of those cheap Ebay OBD2 bluetooth adapters? I see them locally on Craigslist as well. Any good?

I want to pick one up.. mostly for use on our GM's, but would be nice to have something universal in case someone needs codes read/reset/etc.

And what's hot for phone software nowadays? Last time I read about anything it was Torque Pro, are they even around anymore? I'm using an iPhone 5 if it helps.

Not really sure where to start.. I have a Powrtuner interface for my laptop, to program the 3800 PCM's.. so I don't really need that functionality. Also have a regular scan tool for the pre-CAN-bus cars.. 96-05'ish I guess. But the wife has an 07 Equinox I can't access anything on. Figured a bluetooth adapter was the easiest to go with..
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
I have had no issues with the adapter I bought off DX for something like $12. Works flawlessly with Torque Pro, though I don't think it's on the Apple App Store.
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I believe dhillon09 has a Bluetooth based OBDII scanner running Torque Pro or something.

Seemed to have done the trick for him.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
i bought a bluetooth ODB reader from ebay and it stopped connecting after 5 tries

they sent me a new one and it takes about 10-20 attempts before it actually connects to my phone / tablet

im running torque and Dash Command but the irony is, I end up using my $30 code reader from princess auto to reset CEL's because it is hassle free in terms of connection

last time I used the bluetooth ODB was to see when my sensors were set to "ready" so i could cheat aircare for another 2 years

your luck may vary, but all those bluetooth units are from china and it's hit and miss for quality

**edit** I just read you have an iphone

be prepared to shell out big bucks to get it to work ...bluetooth ODB only works with android
you want it to work with iphone and its going to cost you $150+ just for an adaptor

http://www.palmerperformance.com/hardware/index.php
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Bluetooth OBD2 readers won't work on a locked iphone (not sure about a jailbroken one though).

Maybe buy a cheap android tablet?

Anyhow, a few of my friends use this one it has tons of positive reviews!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Wait for the obdlink mx wifi at scantool.net. It came do lot more on gm vehicles. You can read about it here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obdsol/obdlink-mx-wifi-a-wireless-gateway-to-vehicle-obd/description
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
i backed the kickstarter project for the obd2 wifi reader. waiting for it to arrive.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
for iPhone you'll need a wifi model as iPhone has a different protocol for bluetooth.

However some say with iPhone 5+ and a jailbreak you can use bt obd2 devices, although I have never got it to work.

I generally just use my wifi -> bluetooth on an android device. It works great although for real time tracking it's a bit slow and has quite a bit of lag.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Jailbroken iPhones running roqybt (or roqybt7) can communicate with OBD-II BT dongles. From there on it's your choice of Rev or Dashcommand for software. I've run them on my 3GS on JB'ed ios4, 5 on both JB'ed ios6 and ios7.

Without jailbreak the only way is the Kiwi PLX wifi module.
Little Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
I have had no issues with the adapter I bought off DX for something like $12. Works flawlessly with Torque Pro
Posted via RS Mobile
Same here, works great, lots of nice features in Torque Pro. $12 for the adapter and $5 for the full app, hard to go wrong. Does a LOT more than just reading and clearing codes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza View Post
Wait for the obdlink mx wifi at scantool.net. It came do lot more on gm vehicles. You can read about it here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bd/description
i have one of those cheap wifi obd2 reader from ebay. works fine on the unjb iPhone. However I really hate the fact that if you are connected to the dongle via wifi. you are unable to access 3g network anymore.meaning i have to disconnect every time i try to reply to whatsapp or whatever.

i use to envision turning on the app every time i get in the car to get realtime info. but the fact that it delay incoming msg and make me unable to response to ppl means that the dongle now stays off in the car….
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
just remember, code reading is pretty universal, but as for sensor readings, you can only read what sensors your car has. eg, if it doesnt have a fuel pressure sensor then the software wont be able to gather any data for it

great diag tool especially for issues related to drivability.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
just remember, code reading is pretty universal, but as for sensor readings, you can only read what sensors your car has. eg, if it doesnt have a fuel pressure sensor then the software wont be able to gather any data for it

great diag tool especially for issues related to drivability.
Yeah, Torque is pretty nice in that it will list ALL the sensors available in OBDII, highlight the ones your vehicle supports in dark green, then highlight them in bright green when they're receiving data.

It's largely designed for performance tuning and uses your phone's sensors (accelerometer, et al.) to help calculate things like acceleration and braking. Can also use the GPS receiver to calculate speed and acceleration, and tie that all in... even has a gauge that displays the variation between OBD-reported speed and GPS-reported speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
yup, i use it too =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Yeah, Torque is pretty nice in that it will list ALL the sensors available in OBDII, highlight the ones your vehicle supports in dark green, then highlight them in bright green when they're receiving data.

It's largely designed for performance tuning and uses your phone's sensors (accelerometer, et al.) to help calculate things like acceleration and braking. Can also use the GPS receiver to calculate speed and acceleration, and tie that all in... even has a gauge that displays the variation between OBD-reported speed and GPS-reported speed.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster View Post
Thanks, that link is the best "list" I've seen yet.. I'm glad I asked this question

Looks like the OBDLink MX WiFi will be my best option when it does start shipping.. I'll keep my eyes open