REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 03-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Vacation Pay, how do they work ?

So I started at my work place on May 1st 2013 and my co-workers say that in order to get Vacation pay, you need to be with the company for a full year which is May 1st 2014.

I have acquired $1950 in Vacation as of now

Question here is: If I quit now (March 15th 2014), do I still get the $1950 or do I get $0 because I haven't been with the company for a full year ?

Hope someone can chime in on this

Thanks in advance !!
Advertisement
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You answered your own question.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
why not use your vacation now and then when you come back quit?

Off topic but how many vacation days you can carry over? Is it more of a company policy or does gov have some sort of restriction? I have over 60 days save up and I am not sure how many more days I can save or if I get pay out lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Ask your HR

Up to 70 hours can be carried over for provincial govnt employees
Posted via RS Mobile
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #5

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
use your vacation. the money you get might be taxed.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts

Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
use your vacation. the money you get might be taxed.
for example if I dont take a Vacation, do I get the $ still or is it required in order to get a vacation pay ?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
why not use your vacation now and then when you come back quit?

Off topic but how many vacation days you can carry over? Is it more of a company policy or does gov have some sort of restriction? I have over 60 days save up and I am not sure how many more days I can save or if I get pay out lol.
I am not sure if i can take my vacation now because I have not been with the company for a full year yet
Old 03-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #9

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
for example if I dont take a Vacation, do I get the $ still or is it required in order to get a vacation pay ?
i think this varies by company. ask your HR to be sure.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
RS controls my life!

Government of B.C., Labour & Citizens' Services, Employment Standards Branch, Annual Vacation Factsheet

If you started in May 2013 and want to quit in March 2014, you can still get paid out for your vacation pay. It's up to HR if they allows you to book that time off or you quit on your own accord. Check your orientation book for clarification.

When you do receive your vacation pay, it still gets taxed like a paycheque (so do bonuses).

In the previous job I worked at, I was entitled to 3 weeks vacation pay so I spread out my 15 vacation days during the year so I can focus on school. After I used up my days, I quit my job. Then I received the remaining amount of vacation pay on a separate paycheque.

If you plan to quit soon, you should use up your benefits if you're entitled to them.
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2_narain View Post
Government of B.C., Labour & Citizens' Services, Employment Standards Branch, Annual Vacation Factsheet

If you started in May 2013 and want to quit in March 2014, you can still get paid out for your vacation pay. It's up to HR if they allows you to book that time off or you quit on your own accord. Check your orientation book for clarification.

When you do receive your vacation pay, it still gets taxed like a paycheque (so do bonuses).

In the previous job I worked at, I was entitled to 3 weeks vacation pay so I spread out my 15 vacation days during the year so I can focus on school. After I used up my days, I quit my job. Then I received the remaining amount of vacation pay on a separate paycheque.

If you plan to quit soon, you should use up your benefits if you're entitled to them.
If I were to quit in April, would I have to apply to get my vacation pay or will they give it to me automatically?

I am working for a reputable company right now so there shouldnt be anything shady with them regarding the vacation pay
Old 03-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

If you quit in April, they will pay out your vacation pay. It should come in with your last paycheque..
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
If I were to quit in April, would I have to apply to get my vacation pay or will they give it to me automatically?

I am working for a reputable company right now so there shouldnt be anything shady with them regarding the vacation pay
The company is required to pay you the 4% vacation pay by law, regardless if you worked only a week. After one year of work, the company legally has to allow you to take two weeks off the following year, with at least one week continuous.

After 5 years you get three weeks and 6% of your salary.

Some companies will pay vacation pay weekly - so you have to save it.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Absolutely correct. There is a distinction between vacation pay earned (which is minimum 4% of every dollar earned from day 1) and the ability to take time off of work (which is often in your contract, not until after the first year, etc.) If you quit or are fired, with or without cause, you are definitely entitled to every bit of accrued vacation pay.

Cheers