REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Road & Track: When did two-seat sports cars stop being “manly”?

Pretty good read, my favourite line is the one about what men are supposed to be driving in 2014.

Quote:
So, I’m in Louisville last week, and I’m rolling along Broadway. They say the LED running lights are bright, on Broadway, and now that the Lexus RX350 comes standard with those aforementioned ridiculous fad-of-the-week items, what they say is correct. There’s a perfect example of a Mazdaspeed Miata behind me, in that very deep red that you could get. It’s top-down in the fifty-degree weather, carving through the empty spots in the clogged lanes. Some Millennial is driving, grinning like an idiot.

“Look back there, at that hoopy frood in the Mazdaspeed Miata,” I said to my companion.

“Ugh,” she groaned. “Why is that guy driving a girl car?”

“Since when,” I said, “is the winningest car in SCCA history a ‘girl car’, particularly when it’s been treated to a light-pressure turbocharger and additional spring rate?”

“Since forever,” she responded, “and isn’t the Miata the winningest whatever in whatever because there are whole races that are nothing but Miatas, making it highly likely that a Miata will win?”

“Don’t count out the pace car,” I responded, “which at Mid-Ohio is the powerful yet grippy Honda S2000.”

“Whatever. That guy back there is in a girl car. Don’t tell me you’d drive one.” At that point, I wisely did not respond, because I would drive the hell out of a Mazdaspeed Miata.

The only reason I didn’t buy a Mazdaspeed Miata when they were new was because I already had a Boxster S, which is what my comp-sci teacher would have called a “superset” of the Miata. I suppose that’s a girl car too. I know that during the summer it’s extremely common for young fellows in Mustangs and whatnot to come racing up next to me on the freeway, only to recoil in annoyance when they realize that the long-haired brunette driving the silver Boxster with the Brey-Krause rollbar is, you know, me.

Sorry, boys.

But I digress. When, exactly, did two-seat sports cars fall out of favor with the Marlboro Man set? It has to be a fairly recent development, certainly more recent than, say, the Carter Administration. I know this because my father bought a brand-new, bright-yellow MG Midget in 1979, from the British Leyland dealer outside Baltimore, MD. You wouldn’t know it to look at me, but my father is and was a very traditional American dude. His purchase of the Midget didn’t trail his honorable discharge from the Marine Corps by all that many years. He played baseball in college. I think he punched a guy once for just looking at my mom. We’re not talking about a Sensitive New Age Guy here.

Yet he didn’t feel a bit self-conscious driving a tiny British roadster around Washington, DC. And I mean tiny. If you think the current Miata is a little girly, you should have seen the MG Midget. It was nearly two feet shorter than the Miata and made less than half of the power enjoyed by owners of Mazda’s iconic roadster. It had a weird froggy face and a chrome luggage rack. It had the federally-mandated 85-mph speedometer and I don’t think it was capable of pegging it. I’m not sure how a car could be less masculine, really. I suppose it could have been pink.

Dad looked like a circus bear in the thing, but no more so than all the other dads, and all the other dudes, in Midgets and MGBs and Fiat Spiders and Triumph Spitfires and the various other low-power sporting droptops of the Seventies and Eighties. Nobody thought there was anything weird or wrong about grown men saving up their money and buying cars with the approximate footprint and power of today’s riding mowers. Heck, there was a whole group of dads who spent every weekend driving, and wrenching on, tiny little British roadsters. We called them the Sports Car Club of America and although the historical literature for that Club might be heavy on the 289FIA Cobras and the Corvette Grand Sports, in real life it was mostly two-hundred-pound men in eighteen-hundred-pound cars “powered” by the BMC A-series.

Many of the people who founded that club were servicemen who brought MGs and whatnot back from World War II. Nobody thought it was particularly unusual that the fellows who had invaded Normandy and driven a stake through the heart of the Nazi regime (check out “Saving Private Ryan” for what is probably a toned-down version of what actually happened) were passionately interested in 50-horsepower two-seaters that would have just about fit in the trunk of a proper Cadillac or Packard. Nobody back home ever said, “Hey, Bob, I realize you once took out a Wehrmacht pillbox with a P-38 can opener and a box of damp matches, but you sure look like a sissy behind the wheel of that MG TC.”

No, I think this whole manly-men-don’t-drive-little-sports-cars thing is a recent development, and a completely ridiculous one at that. Perhaps it’s the fault of the Miata, which was so reliable from Day One that no greasy hands were required for happy ownership. I’m personally inclined to blame that trio of German two-seaters that showed up shortly afterwards. The Z3, Boxster, and especially the SLK had such tremendous appeal to women that it got to the point that you couldn’t find a man who would admit to owning one. “Oh, that black Z3 over there, with the Dinan supercharger and the Hoosier tires on steamroller wheels and the ‘Airborne: Death From Above’ bumper sticker? That, uh, belongs to my mom.”

After a decade or so of those desirable-to-the-distaff-driver Deutsch droptops, the girls-drive-droptops stereotype that was initially conceived for the Volkswagen Rabbit “basket” convertible had expanded to include everything with a fabric roof short of the Dodge Viper. Porsche went through the trouble of making a Boxster with a metal top just so their owners could be spared the “shame” of having a fair-weather-friendly automobile. The resulting car, known as the Cayman, is just like a Boxster, only not quite as good, if you ask me. But you’d never know that from reading the Internet, where lavish praise is showered on the “additional rigidity” of the steel roof by people whose idea of performance driving is grinding around a freeway off-ramp at five over the posted limit, with underinflated tires.

Of course, the Cayman still has a bit of a twee reputation, because it’s related to the Boxster. The whole thing’s gotten out of hand. In fact, I’m not sure what men are even allowed to buy in the year 2014. We can’t have Miatas or Boxsters or anything like that, because those are for girls. But the opposite of a Miata, which is something like a GMC Yukon XL, is also for girls. In between is the Camry, which your mom drives, and the CR-V, which your wife drives, and the Aventador, which you cannot afford.

Enough. It’s time for American men to stand proud and admit that we’d desperately like to own a Miata or, as they say in the car-rental biz, similar. I’m going to form a group– Cool Alphas (referring to “alpha males”, of course) Preferring Roadsters Intentionally. That’s right, the group will be called CAPRI and any member who, in the face of hostile questioning, claims that we named it after the Euro Capri of the Seventies or the bubbleback five-liter RS will be ejected. Our spirit animal is that timid but torque-steer-mad little Australian import Ford brought over years ago just so everybody would understand how good the Miata actually was by contrast. Remember that Ford owned a third of Mazda back then. That’s right! It was a conspiracy!

You don’t need to actually own a Capri, or a Miata, or a Jowett Jupiter, to join CAPRI. You just have to be willing to spread the word: if the tiny two-seat sporting roadster was tough enough and cool enough for our great-grandfathers, it’s tough enough and cool enough for us. We’re taking masculine roadster ownership to a whole new level. The first meeting will be at the Dairy Queen next Thursday night. But we can’t stay out too late, because my girlfriend wants to watch that Zooey Deschanel show and I’m supposed to bring back Blizzards.
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

what... what im confused... they still make road and track?
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

interesting read haha I laughed at the fact that I kinda agree to both sides of the argument.

The miata, Boxster, Z3..etc...really don't look that masculine.

What other roadster is masculine looking?

The S2000.

I dunno...something about the lines of the mazda that makes it look less masculine that the honda. Maybe that's what it is. Not because it was a tiny roadster.
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,151 Times in 2,395 Posts
Meh, anybody who gets their jimmies rustled over the 'masculinity' of their car is just overly sensitive or insecure.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
A Miata has always been a chick car as long as I can remember. While growing up my sister always wanted one, while I wanted an 80's Camaro or Firebird lol
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
When I picked up a Miata last year a friend of mine thought I bought it for my g/f and I still get comments from time to time that I'm driving a chick car.

But I don't care. If a chick car feels this good to drive then I'll wear a dress if I have to.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
A Miata has always been a chick car as long as I can remember. While growing up my sister always wanted one, while I wanted an 80's Camaro or Firebird lol
Quote:
Checks out.

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
Checks out.
lol ur so funny

not brown though
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

any real tuner head knows how amazing the miata is. had fun riding in a monster miata years ago, a ford 5.0 jammed into it.

the real chick car in my day was the vw cabrio convertible with the 4 round euro grill. but that was when some women knew how to drive stick and all men knew how to drive stick.

now they all drive autos and drink smirnoff ice. that's the real sign of where masculinity has gone.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

fuuuuuck that, id take a NA miata in a heartbeat if i had the money for it.

so many people these days forget that cars these days arent just for showing social status or going from point A to point B but also to enjoy and have fun despite what they may look like, to a certain extent of course *coughtimpocough*
[02-07, 18:27] Jasonturbo: Fuckin RS, full of broke ass surrians, you guys are such downers

[07-07, 23:21] Inaii: I had some really shitty chinese tires on my fb... thing squealed like a chick getting fucked up the ass for the first time every time

[10-01, 23:38] jinxcrusader: should've stuck with stubbz in the back
Mr.Stubbz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
aesthetics too round and not aggressive enough
audi TT
but who cares what others think if you're having fun
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #12

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
I owned one for years and WILL have another miata. A phaggy car or not it's leagues more fun than a civic or even my focus could dream to be
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
aesthetics too round and not aggressive enough
audi TT
but who cares what others think if you're having fun
I agree, cars with bubbly feminine features and smiley faces caused the stereotype. Not saying there aren't some mean and awesome looking miatas and other roadsters of the type but in stock form they look soft.

They need some work to be awesome.

Lol the TT almost cant be saved but this guy managed to.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #14
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,883 Times in 745 Posts
Miata crew checking in!
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Meh, anybody who gets their jimmies rustled over the 'masculinity' of their car is just overly sensitive or insecure.
This.

If you like it, drive it.

One of my friends drives a Miata, and he is as "manly" as it gets. Like, straight up, blue-collar lumberjack looking son-of-a-bitch.

But admittedly, I do think the Miata itself does look a bit more feminine (something about the shape just makes it look a little too quirky and dainty), but at the same time, the ones that are more widely "guy accepted" like the S2000 and 350z come off as a bit too kiddish for me.

I had a 350z for a little while, but ended up selling it. It was fun while it lasted. Little 2-seater sportscars were never really my thing. I think I grew up too fast.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #16

I just had a super hipster/ironic urge to put truck nutz on a Miata.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

along the same vein, I'm having a conversation with a coworker that the iphone is a girl's phone. I'd never buy one.
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
I've always wanted a Miata. That being said, I'd rather have a hardtop or coupe version of the car as Vancouver weather kinda makes convertible ownership next to useless.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalCloud View Post
along the same vein, I'm having a conversation with a coworker that the iphone is a girl's phone. I'd never buy one.
guys are generally more techsavvy and may try windows/android...but i wouldn't call the iphone a girly phone

on topic, although not a sports car/roadster..i'd say the 2000's new bettle is the ultimate women's car.

unless we're talk RSI
Old 03-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
but i wouldn't call the iphone a girly phone
You're right, its for old people too...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Talking about smartphones in a thread about cars isn't very fucking manly.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #22
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I can't imagine how insecure in his masculinity a man has to be to worry about a smartphone being too feminine. Fuck, that's not far off not talking to girls because they have cooties.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #23

amidoinitrite?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #24
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I just had a super hipster/ironic urge to put truck nutz on a Miata.
But... would it be JV or all balls?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
But... would it be JV or all balls?
if I had a Miata with truck nutz, I would get more head than a guillotine basket during the French revolution.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by: