REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   3 day suspension and impoundment (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693783-3-day-suspension-impoundment.html)

geeknerd 03-24-2014 01:25 AM

3 day suspension and impoundment

So i got a 3 day license suspension and car impounded for blowing a warn(0.06) at 3 am on friday.

my question is when can i pick my car up? would it be exactly after 72hours?

which would be later today (currently monday 2:30am [71.5hours passed])

$600 lesson learned. thanks.

kkthind 03-24-2014 03:56 AM

Exactly after 72 hours during business hours from the tow yard
Posted via RS Mobile

SkinnyPupp 03-24-2014 04:27 AM

The limit was lowered to .06? wtf??

Edit: Forgot about the N sign.. yeah bad idea to be over 0 with that

320icar 03-24-2014 04:54 AM

Do you have any previous tickets? Hope your license doesn't get suspended
Posted via RS Mobile

geeknerd 03-24-2014 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkthind (Post 8442708)
Exactly after 72 hours during business hours from the tow yard
Posted via RS Mobile

So it would be available in a few hours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8442709)

Im not N. Been class 5 for about 6 years now. Reading the article the new laws were introduced in 2010.

Basically If you blow a warn (0.05-0.08) for the first time in five-year period will face:
- 3 day driving ban + $200 administrative penalty
- driver licence reinstatement fee of $250
- 3 day vehicle impoundment, which will cost about $150

Totalling to $600 for first incident.
Any subsequent WARN blows result in 7 day ban then 30day ban as well as the administrative fee of 100$ are added each time as well as the cost for impoundment i guess.

Much severe for people who blow over 0.08 though. 90day ban + $500 + $250DL + $700 for 30day impound + $880 class + $1420 breathalyzer ignition = $3750 as well as possible criminal conviction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8442713)
Do you have any previous tickets? Hope your license doesn't get suspended
Posted via RS Mobile

My only ticket was for speeding when i had my N in 2009. But that doesnt matter since im class 5 now.

The ticket given is notice of driving prohibition 215.41(MVA) the 3 day ban one.

I guess i will be able to get my license and car back today.

I was drinking wine too. fml, time to buy a breathalyzer.

SkinnyPupp 03-24-2014 05:11 AM

Wow... .06 that's like.. 1 drink and you can't drive? Incredible

dared3vil0 03-24-2014 07:53 AM

I'm probably in the minority here, but if i have anything to drink i won't drive. Just doesn't seem worth it to risk a possible DUI/accident, even though one drink probably won't put you over the limit...

Raid3n 03-24-2014 07:54 AM

japan is 0 tolerance at any license level iirc... so we're getting off relatively easy.
I'd rather this than having a bunch of drunk people driving around.
obviously it's a case of locks being there to keep honest people out, but those that may have thought about it in the past may be dissuaded from grabbing the keys or getting that next beer.

sho_bc 03-24-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8442709)

The limit for a WARN reading was actually raised from 55 to 60 mg% and you will still get a WARN up until 99mg%. A FAIL reading is over 100mg%.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8442718)
Wow... .06 that's like.. 1 drink and you can't drive? Incredible

Having seen what people drink in order to achieve WARN and FAIL readings, i can tell you that it is a lot more than one drink. However some people do become impaired after one drink or less. I have some friends who appear fall-down-drunk after half a bottle of beer, but would blow close to zeros.
Posted via RS Mobile

sho_bc 03-24-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 8442699)
So i got a 3 day license suspension and car impounded for blowing a warn(0.06) at 3 am on friday.

my question is when can i pick my car up? would it be exactly after 72hours?

which would be later today (currently monday 2:30am [71.5hours passed])

$600 lesson learned. thanks.

I believe it is 3 clear days, not 72hrs. So tomorrow after 12:01am.
Posted via RS Mobile

ninjatune 03-24-2014 09:21 AM

Yup three full day periods under the IRP program. If it happened at 30 minutes past midnight early on a Monday morning, you'd have to wait the rest of the Monday period, then three full days (tues-wed-thurs) then would be eligible to pick it up after 1201 AM on the Friday, assuming the tow office is open.

The limits on a WARN have been above .05 since 1977 in british Columbia.... the new legislation in 2010 made the penalties more severe and actually gave drivers a buffer with the calibration on the ASD's. Prior to 2010 legislation you'd receive a 24 hour and may or may not have your car towed.

meme405 03-24-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8442743)
I'm probably in the minority here, but if i have anything to drink i won't drive. Just doesn't seem worth it to risk a possible DUI/accident, even though one drink probably won't put you over the limit...

Same.

I mean like I may do a toast and have a sip, but I certainly will not order a pint, or a glass of wine if I know I am going to be driving later (even if it is a few hours away).

My whole thought process is that the glass of wine will not get me anywhere and why risk anything?

sebberry 03-24-2014 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 8442699)

Just curious, what was the second reading?

SkinnyPupp 03-24-2014 05:26 PM

I certainly would be scared of getting a DUI since the limit is so low, it wouldn't be worth the risk. However I don't think it would affect my ability to drive after just a glass of wine or beer.

But everyone is different.. My wife gets tipsy after like a sip of wine... For me, I drink all the time and am big so it would definitely take more drinks to affect me

geeknerd 03-24-2014 06:23 PM

IIRC, first reading was 0.076. i asked to blow again as you are permitted by law to request and get a second machine to blow on of which the lowest reading will count.

Literally two minutes later the reading was 0.065

2 minutes to bring it down 0.01 interesting...

if the margin of error is 0.01 i might even have a case for dispute. anyone heard of such cases? lol

dared3vil0 03-24-2014 06:27 PM

I may be wrong, but i thought DUI cases are next to impossible to dispute?

Inaii 03-24-2014 06:54 PM

Iirc you can only contest the charges with a lawyer, I could be wrong though (this was the only way my father had his waived :rolleyes: )

I don't drive after I drink, even if it's only one drink and I feel fine. Would just rather not take the risk that my reaction time might be impaired *shrugs* everyone is different and I'm just not comfortable with it.

MeowMeow 03-24-2014 07:00 PM

My friend and i had 2 of soju together
he blew 0.064 first
Cop sad if he blows anything under 0.06 second time, we could go
And then few minutes after he blew 0.059

Closee callllll

zulutango 03-24-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 8443069)
IIRC, first reading was 0.076. i asked to blow again as you are permitted by law to request and get a second machine to blow on of which the lowest reading will count.

Literally two minutes later the reading was 0.065

2 minutes to bring it down 0.01 interesting...

if the margin of error is 0.01 i might even have a case for dispute. anyone heard of such cases? lol

In my experience & training that big a drop in 2 minutes to me means that one of the samples was not done correctly. Probably the second one had not enough deep lung air.

RiceIntegraRS 03-24-2014 07:08 PM

Your car will be available Tuesday because it was impounded on the Friday. Apparently the 1st day doesnt count according to ICBC but the towing company will charge u for the extra day no problem.

And if u wanna contest the charge u need a lawyer but theres no point. The charge is about $700 total and the cheapest lawyer ull find will be $500 so the best case scenario is that u save $200 and theres no gaurantees

geeknerd 03-24-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8443107)
In my experience & training that big a drop in 2 minutes to me means that one of the samples was not done correctly. Probably the second one had not enough deep lung air.

I took huge breaths and blew it like a balloon each and every time because the cop kept saying dont fuck around, if you fuck around blah blah blah. Once he saw that i was comprehensive and compliant his attitude returned to normal though. I didn't even know that such methods would affect the reading. Now i know why they kept emphasizing to blow as hard you can.
TY for the unintended tip ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 8443112)
Your car will be available Tuesday because it was impounded on the Friday. Apparently the 1st day doesnt count according to ICBC but the towing company will charge u for the extra day no problem.

And if u wanna contest the charge u need a lawyer but theres no point. The charge is about $700 total and the cheapest lawyer ull find will be $500 so the best case scenario is that u save $200 and theres no gaurantees

Yea i dont really plan to dispute but wouldnt this be similar to the dispute of a normal ticket where you can just go with the cop and meet before a judge? since it is not a criminal DUI charge.
Would also be a lot easier if there were precedent cases which i bet there is a good chance of?

dared3vil0 03-24-2014 08:45 PM

^ The question is, is it an unintended tip, or the opposite?

Tone Loc 03-24-2014 08:50 PM

Speaking on breathalyzers, can anyone comment as to which is the most accurate (based on what the LEOs use) civilian breathalyzer? Been thinking to get one, as my low tolerance.. lol, that Asian descent.. makes me wonder what I'd blow after a beer or two with dinner.

tool001 03-24-2014 09:27 PM

i dont know, to blow a .06 u gotta be drunk.

i had 3 shots(soju) + 3-4 beers. then stopped drinking about 1 hr + before driving. i blew a .019
but i think .06+ is quite intoxicated to drive

breathalysers, accuracy dies, after a few test, as water vapour in ur breath fucks the sensor.. ..

Klondike 03-24-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8442743)

Another reason to have a DD, it's almost imperative. Just order bottled water from the bartender, he'll know and likely won't charge for it.