REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 03-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

renting out my house, need help and recources

hey, i'm going to be renting out my whole house and need some help with resources...

i need to find the correct application for to send to potential renter so i can start my background checks etc on them

would also love to get my hands on some rental agreements that i can modify for my use

any other helpful hints would be appreciated

thanks
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
i believe this is the standard form.

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/documents/RTB-1.pdf

if you add any extra terms just check the box for addendum and how many pages and fill your boots.

IIRC any terms you add that contradict the rights of a tenant in the RTA do not hold up

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #3

i ended up finding that one thanks...i just sent a basic one just to get things started....my actual lease agreement will be drawn up by a lawyer (father in law)
Old 03-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I was just on the phone with Residential Tenancy Branch.

Pardon me for my ignorance, but here's something I don't get.

It is the landlord's responsibility to provide a legal tenancy agreement. However, if there are illegal terms on the agreement, and the tenant is fully aware of it, and still signs it, the tenant can still take legal action against the landlord for the illegal term?
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reamemiya View Post
I was just on the phone with Residential Tenancy Branch.

Pardon me for my ignorance, but here's something I don't get.

It is the landlord's responsibility to provide a legal tenancy agreement. However, if there are illegal terms on the agreement, and the tenant is fully aware of it, and still signs it, the tenant can still take legal action against the landlord for the illegal term?
in the link i provided item 17
Quote:
b) Any addition to this tenancy agreement must comply with the Residential Tenancy Act and regulations, and must
clearly communicate the rights and obligations under it. If a term does not meet these requirements, or is
unconscionable, the term is not enforceable.
i think you're thinking of it as the tenant going after the landlord. i think of it the other way around, the landlord cannot go after the tenant for an inappropriate term.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I think I understand what you mean. My intention is more to find out what can be done against the landlord if a illegal term is found in the agreement.

Ie, if I as a tenant find an illegal term on the agreement, do I go to a lawyer and sue the landlord?

I absolutely have no experience with laws, and seeing how often people nowadays sue scares and confuses me as to what I should do.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

In order for you to sue, you have to prove that you've suffered damages because of the illegal term. For ex. If in the agreement, the landlord said the tenants are responsible for all repairs to the house, and the landlord charges you to replace the roof or something, then you have grounds to sue. Otherwise, I don't see how you can sue the landlord other than when the landlord is trying to enforce the illegal term. I would say illegal terms in an agreement would just not be enforceable.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
For all my condo properties I get potential renters to fill out a credit application. Sign up on the site and below, download the form and submit it. They have a $20 fee but it's well worth it.

You'll be surprised how many people will come to you and tell you they're ready to give you a deposit, references blah blah but when you ask them to fill out a credit application you'll never hear back from them again.

https://www.tenantverification.com/
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Because why the fuck should I let you see my credit history. Just because you own a house doesnt mean you arent a scumbag.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Because why the fuck should I let you see my credit history. Just because you own a house doesnt mean you arent a scumbag.

The reason why a landlord would want to see a credit report is because you want to know if the tenant is able to make the rent payments. I've had tenants in the past who came in, gave me a deposit, fake reference letters and 4 months into the lease basically gave me the good ol' "fuck you, I'm not paying rent". My units rent for $1500/month+ so a credit report is also the prefect tool to weed out people who can't afford the rent like 20 year olds who come by and look at my units and give me a sob story about how they have no job or credit but there parents will pay the rent for them. Sure.

And believe it or not but tenants have more rights than the landlord and can basically live in your unit or house rent free for months until you get a court order. So that's why the fuck I want to see a credit report, if you don't have anything to hide than I don't see a big deal about filling out a credit report but if you have bad credit and you're consistently missing payments on say credit cards than fuck off.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
The reason why a landlord would want to see a credit report is because you want to know if the tenant is able to make the rent payments. I've had tenants in the past who came in, gave me a deposit, fake reference letters and 4 months into the lease basically gave me the good ol' "fuck you, I'm not paying rent". My units rent for $1500/month+ so a credit report is also the prefect tool to weed out people who can't afford the rent like 20 year olds who come by and look at my units and give me a sob story about how they have no job or credit but there parents will pay the rent for them. Sure.

And believe it or not but tenants have more rights than the landlord and can basically live in your unit or house rent free for months until you get a court order. So that's why the fuck I want to see a credit report, if you don't have anything to hide than I don't see a big deal about filling out a credit report but if you have bad credit and you're consistently missing payments on say credit cards than fuck off.
Im pretty sure if you need a credit report to weed out the bolded part, well, I dont think I need to say anything more.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Im pretty sure if you need a credit report to weed out the bolded part, well, I dont think I need to say anything more.
I gave the OP advice because I rent my units out, if you want to make smart ass comments go ahead but if you don't know what you're talking about than stfu. If it's personal than PM but let the OP keep his thread clean and on topic.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Whats with all the F-bombs. Y u so mad bro?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

FITE ME IRL

This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
woah woah, dude, no need to bring the 5.0's into this.

I'll tear you up...

Spoiler!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #16

Thanks for the advise, definitely doing a credit check.

Any other sites I can post up on rather than just craiglist?

Thanks
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #17

Kijiji.ca, 3 free ads but use different e-mail addresses and it's basically unlimited posting. I usually get more responses from kijiji.ca than craigslist.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #18

sounds good ill get up there....thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #19
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Don't don't have to agree to let me see your credit report and I don't have to agree on letting you rent my place.

If you have nothing to hide than you won't be scare. Is like applying for a loan banks have to make sure you can pay it back and have a good history. Same with a landlord we have to make sure you actually pays and can manage your financial.

People who came to rent my unit and refuse to sign the letter to allow me to see their credit history, their application goes straight to the garbage.

You have no idea how many times I see people who want to rent my units, in brand name clothing, drive a BMW, pretend to be a baller giving me 6 months worth of rents in cheques. As soon as you do a credit check they are either in the hole with tons of credit card debt, car lease, line of credit etc etc........
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #20

when i do the credit check what exactly does it show, and what am i looking for??

does it say " joe has $xxxxx dept and makes $xx"??

thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #21
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
when i do the credit check what exactly does it show, and what am i looking for??

does it say " joe has $xxxxx dept and makes $xx"??

thanks
I haven't done them in years but it would pretty cover that person's financial stuff like how many active credit accts they have (CC, cell phone bills, student loans, car lease) and if it the acct is up to date etc etc...... I believe on one of the reports I did it also shows the person is divcore and is paying his wife and kids every month......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #22

ok cool thanks
Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #23

+1 what happyslip said and always look at the credit score, it should be above C+ which is considered "acceptable".

One other thing you should print out is the BC tenant checklist, it's basically like a checklist when you rent a car where you and your tenant walk through your place and check down any damages prior to the tenant renting your unit/house. It's a safeguard for both parties.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #24

say when two people rent out a place, not married etc, say a boyfriend/girlfriend or say two brothers.....is it better to have both names on the rental lease or just one??

i'd assume both if there's ever any issue with rent collection then you can go after the other person?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:03 AM   #25

Put both names.