REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Neighbor threatened to get me towed...

Refer to above diagram. I live facing a bike lane, and I don't like parking on that street simply because I've had my mirrors broken twice in the past 5 years. And in typical Vancouver fashion, nobody notified me, no note, no knock on my door, nothing.

So I park on the side, still on my block. Only problem is, I have taken "the only spot that isn't under a tree", as my lovely neighbour puts it. He threatened to have my car towed if I was parked in "his spot" again. Complete stereotypical "yuppie" BMW driver, think Tom Cruise's character in "Rain Man" except without the good looks (no homo).

According to Vancouver bylaw, if the vehicle is registered to that "block", then it can be parked anywhere on that "block'. Which I believe it is. He believes that it isn't. And has said that he will "try" to get my car towed because it is his "right" to park there.

I'm legitly sure the only reason he hasn't attempted to vandalize my car is 1) because I have a dash-cam, and 2) his car costs literally 14x what mine costs ($4000 vs $56000) and I'm sure he knows I can do a lot worse.

Anyone with bylaw experience please help me out. The last thing I want is to come home to having my car towed thanks to my asshole neighbor. Thanks!
Advertisement
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
RS.net Licensed Sponsor Dealer

sounds like he has no merit. continue parking there
Autorice is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
continue parking there, wait for him to put out buckets.

Steal buckets and proceed to wash your car with those buckets while wearing no shirt + boxers while he has company over, all while smoking a fat doob so the smell of marijuana permeates his household and makes his company think he lives in a shitty area.

then put a flaming bag of poop on his door step
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
^lmfao that's a great plan to be honest
Posted via RS Mobile
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
No merit, friend is in bylaws the street is city property continue to park there. You can even remove buckets etc. Off the street and take the spots as long as you're registered to the block you can park anywhere on it. I'll ask him to get me the specific bylaw # but you can pretty much search it on the cover website.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Tell him to come at you
Old 03-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I hate dickheads such as op neighbor. They believe that the space in front or beside their homes is theirs and they are entitled to it.

They should learn to read their fucking property tax and to know what they own and what they don't. The street is owned by the city.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #8
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
The street is open to anyone that is allowed to park there. People complain that other people have parked in front of their house, but its legal. They dont own the part of the street, so continue parking there.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

Speaking of.. A new business just opened up near my work place.

They've placed notes on all of our cars.. http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...pse7dxj8x4.jpg

My coworkers and I ignored all of their notices and now they set up cones early in the morning.. Now, how much are they willing to spend on cones

OP, good thing you have a dashcam!
jtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

To the people telling the OP to "continue parking there because it public property and that the neighbour has no merit": there are restrictions when parking in front of a home you do not own.

Bylaw No. 2849 Section 17.6(f)(i)]) states: An owner, registered owner, lessee or operator of a vehicle must not cause, allow or permit that vehicle to park on a street abutting premises used for residential or commercial purposes for more than 3 hours between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., provided that this limitation in time shall not apply where such premises are the property or residence of such person or an employer of such person

Parking when there is no signage | City of Vancouver

Judging by the diagram you've attached, the parking spot is definitely not in front of your home. But technically it's not "in front" of his home, either (it's to the side of his home). Without getting other parties involved, the prudent thing to do would be parking in front of your own home during the hours from 8:00AM to 6:00PM. Other than that, it's a free-for-all from 6:00PM through to 8:00AM!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,750 Times in 3,867 Posts
Why the fuck can't they write "legal documents" in plain old fucking English.

"If it isn't your house, don't park infront of it for more than 3 hours"
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #12
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Why the fuck can't they write "legal documents" in plain old fucking English.

"If it isn't your house, don't park infront of it for more than 3 hours"
Posted via RS Mobile
Because then lawyers/law makers/politicians, etc wouldn't be able to feel special about themselves while they circle jerk each other off
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Parking when there is no signage | City of Vancouver If you read the link more carefully you'll see that it refers to nonresidents as you are a resident and the car is registered there the Douche canoe making threats has nothing on you, if he has the car towed you can have the charges reversed on him for having your car towed with out just cause
Mike5.0 cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I don't think a tow company would tow the car just because douche canoe says so. They would site Bylaws and make sure that they are justified to tow it. It is the bylaw infraction that they would be enforcing, not douche canoe's wishes.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,897 Times in 3,863 Posts
In that diagram, where does said neighbour live?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #16
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Actually, the street you are parking on is not part of the 'block' that you are registered on. The 'block' you are registered on is the street of where your address is (ie. the street the front of your house faces). The perpendicular street is not the street that you 'live' on nor are you a resident of.
However, that being said, if your neighbour's house's address faces the same street you live on (ie. his address is the same as yours except different #), then technically speaking, he is not registered as living on that 'block' on the side either so he has no merits to have you towed for parking in 'his' spot. However, if he knew any better, he can say that you are not a resident of that block and are only allowed to park there for 3 hours or whatever the bylaw says.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
RS controls my life!

Call 311 (if your in Vancouver) and asked to be transfer to by-law services (parking), explain your situation and see what they say.
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Neighbor lives in the corner house.

From my understanding, it is part of the "block" as there is a clearly marked sign saying No Parking "Except for residents of this block". Being that it is Vancouver and no house is actually facing that street, my understanding is that anyone who has a vehicle registered to that block/ side of the street may park there. Which my car is.

Like I said in the OP, I'd rather not park directly in front of my house due to it being a bike lane.. I have already spent quite a fair amount of money repairing my car thanks to cowards who would rather run away from damage they have caused rather than own up to it.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I base my comments on how it is near the PNE area. When they say no parking except residents of 'this block', it actually states the street as opposed to just saying 'this block'. It will say for example, 'No parking except residents of 2400 block Dundas Street' or something like that. Then on the perpendicular street, it'll say no parking except people on 'that' street or in some cases, have no restrictions listed as there are no house addresses on that block (ie. between the street you live on and the alley, there will be no addresses there and therefore no residential restrictions other than the standard city bylaws).

That's why I'm saying that unless his address is on that cross street, he can't say he is a resident of that block because that is not the 'street' he lives on based on his actual address. Hoping I still make sense here. But in a nutshell, he can't claim that is his spot.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Keep parking.

Butthurt is butthurt.
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #21
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
The only time I got a ticket for something like this is when I used to carpool to school.

My GF always drove so I'd drive to her house, park my car on her block for 8-12 hours, and go to school. Eventually one of the homeowners got pissed at me for doing this and I received a $70 ticket for "Parking for longer than 3 hours on a residential street my vehicle is not registered to" -- so I can see that happening if you're not registered to the block, but by-laws officers can look up your insurance registration address and as long as it all adds up, it's all good, no?

I come home from work/school at midnight sometimes and my entire block is taken up so i have to park half way up the block, never gotten a ticket for that.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #22
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
im not siding with OP's neighbor here, by law he has a right to park there (if the posters in this thread are correct)

but srsly if i was that neighbor and i had that golden spot that isn't under a tree, then one of my neighbors came over and started parking there...

man i'd wanna cut his fcking nips off
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #23
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,897 Times in 3,863 Posts
On a similar note, what happens with stratas that have assigned parking spots? Can anyone from the strata get your car towed from a spot that isn't theirs if your cars registered address doesn't line up?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Neighbor is a douche canoe.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #25
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
On a similar note, what happens with stratas that have assigned parking spots? Can anyone from the strata get your car towed from a spot that isn't theirs if your cars registered address doesn't line up?
The strata cant without the approval of the parking spot owner. but the owner of that spot have the right to do so. my building's strata advise that if your parking spot is taken, just take a pic to proof that a car parked at your spot and call tow truck company tow it directly.
If for some reason Strata want to tow a car away from an owned spot for reason like no valid license, not resident (some people rent out their spot which most place is not allowed to rent to non resident of the building). they just cant. but they can fines the spot owner for by-law violation.
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote