REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
My dad's #1 favorite car is a 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS. He would always talk about wanting one ever since I was born. I didn't pay it no mention until the late 80's early 90's when N.W.A. became church for me. All the west coasters were sporting six fours and it seemed videos were filled with them. I got right into it. Yes, lowriders(and minitrucks) are what brought me into the car scene before I could drive legally. Although my dad hates the hydros and wires he still loves the car. Now that I'm older I dream of finding one in super stock condition and buying it for him just because of how long he has talked about it. We don't even really get along but I'd do it anyway out of principal. LOL!

So I guess he indirectly influenced me with his adamancy for that car throughout the years.
Advertisement
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

My grandfather drove a Mercedes, my father drives a Honda, I ride the bus, and my son will ride a camel. Something something it builds character.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #28
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
My dad influenced me to like mercs over beemers ever since i was a kid
Vice versa here! Dad's first (and favourite to date) car was a white 320i e36. Hopefully, I'll have enough saved up for a bimmer in the next year or two.
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #29

My dad drove some horrendous GM products back in the day - Chevrolet Citation, Chevrolet Celebrity, Pontiac Lumina APV. I still remember when I was a kid and the Citation overheated on the freeway, and how slow the Celebrity was. We had the "Eurosport" package, and the thing wouldn't go over 105km/hr floored.

Anyway, he switched over to japanese in the 90's and then he stuck with it after he realized how reliable it was compared to the old GM cars. He bought a '94 Corolla...and then when we needed a second car, he bought a '98 Corolla. I remember being embarrassed about having two Corollas in our driveway. Both Corollas eventually got totalled by me and my brother lol, but my dad still drives japanese to this day.

I think I'm still too scared to buy domestic now.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #30
No Titles Given

My father recently told me he would steal my grandfather's Skyline and go for joy rides in middle of the night. Sins of the father are the sins of the son? I guess I'm stuck with the Nissan IDx as my next go to car
synchrocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #31

my dad had a british racing green 67 fastback 289 4 spd mustang....man i wish he still had it

my mom also had a 67 or 69 mustang v6 auto
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #32

I'm jealous of all you guys with parents that had cool sports cars.

My love of cars definitely did not come from my parent's econboxes...
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #33
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Right when we immigrated to Canada in 1990 my dad bought a top-of-the-line Pontiac Grand Prix, which he kept until late last year when it had transmission issues. He loved that car.

A few months later he got a barebones EF Honda Civic Automatic for my mom, which he traded in later for a mini-van.

I wished to this day he had kept the Civic and traded in the Pontiac.

What's with Dads and 80's/90's GM products?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #34
Rs has made me the man i am today!

My dad left me with a lot of money so I ended up getting one of these

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 03-28-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: edited for sensitivity
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #35
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
My dad was murdered when I was quite young so I don't know. He left me with a lot of money so I ended up getting one of these
I felt bad for a second and making a joke about a parents death is never a good thing...
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #36
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
My Dad had a 70' Mustang Boss 302, but totalled it. He bought a 65' GTO with a 389, a blower, a 4 speed, and racing slicks after that. He had a Harley that he rode to British Columbia from Ontario, too. He's exclusively driven Chevy trucks since I've been born, though. I see the influence of that because Chevy trucks are the only vehicles I've ever really desired. I think I'd take a Silverado LTZ or a Sierra Denali over a BMW or Merc.
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #37
SardaukarMod

My dad was always into Fords back in the day. Then when we moved to Canada, we switched to Hondas and Volvos. But I've always secretly lusted for a clean fox body stang with a 302... Or anything with a 302 really. Volvo with a V8 swap
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #38
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
My Dad had a 70' Mustang Boss 302, but totalled it. He bought a 65' GTO with a 389, a blower, a 4 speed, and racing slicks after that. He had a Harley that he rode to British Columbia from Ontario, too. He's exclusively driven Chevy trucks since I've been born, though. I see the influence of that because Chevy trucks are the only vehicles I've ever really desired. I think I'd take a Silverado LTZ or a Sierra Denali over a BMW or Merc.
Posted via RS Mobile
Our dads sound simillar.

My dad had a 71-73 Mach 1 Mustang. Then he had a motorcycle of some sort, he says it was a buell but the shitty picture he showed me looked nothing like a buell.

And since I was a young kid he has always had a GM pickup. (14 of them in total)

Currently drives a Sierra Denali HD, with the duallies. And I steal it whenver I can cause its badass.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #39
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
My dad drove some horrendous GM products back in the day - Chevrolet Citation, Chevrolet Celebrity, Pontiac Lumina APV. I still remember when I was a kid and the Citation overheated on the freeway, and how slow the Celebrity was. We had the "Eurosport" package, and the thing wouldn't go over 105km/hr floored.

Anyway, he switched over to japanese in the 90's and then he stuck with it after he realized how reliable it was compared to the old GM cars. He bought a '94 Corolla...and then when we needed a second car, he bought a '98 Corolla. I remember being embarrassed about having two Corollas in our driveway. Both Corollas eventually got totalled by me and my brother lol, but my dad still drives japanese to this day.

I think I'm still too scared to buy domestic now.
i can sort of relate to your story. my parents had a brief and ill-fated time with a celebrity also, circa 1982. bought it new from courtesy chev-olds (long gone now). 2.8(?)v6, non-efi (winter cold starts done with a screwdriver jammed in the carb inlet to hold the butterfly open as per GM service advisor recommendations), 3spd auto column shift (analog display for gear selector was always off; "N" was actually "D"), general tire whitewalls, 2-tone blue exterior, blue mouse fur interior, ac delco am radio. i remember it broke down just as my dad pulled out of the dealer lot and died in the middle of kingsway and the sales staff had to push it back into the lot. it was a foreshadowing of the nightmare to come.

but i still remember as a kid being fascinated by the horizontal speedometer and the long rectangular gauge cluster surround with this squishy foam padding that i would always poke until my dad told me to stop it or else

my dad paid $11k taxes in, traded it in for $6k(!!!) at precision subaru (also long gone) for a new 1988 subaru GL-10 AWD wagon he saw on display in the central promenade of coquitlam centre shopping mall. even though he signed on the dotted line, we couldn't take delivery because subaru canada needed it to remain on display for another week. so my dad would take me to the purdys chocolate store on the ground floor and get us chocolate covered ice cream cones, sit on one of the mall benches in front of the car and made sure no one touched it lol... and he's been with subaru ever since.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 03-29-2014 at 05:42 AM. Reason: grammar police
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #40
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
My dad had a 72 nova with a 383 eventually it got written off than a few camaros and other toys that I have heard lots of stories about from family and his friends, but that was long before me so I have only seen pictures.

The thing that sparked my interest in cars that I can actually remember is the old beat up POS 83 Silverado he had it was a single cab with a 350, it was absolutely trashed and said he would drive it till the wheels fall off than buy a more modern car it nearly the entire exhaust was rusted out being young and not knowing any better I thought it was fast because of how loud it was, many good times were had in that thing.

Eventually someone ran a stop sign and hit it, the damage was rather small but the thing was worthless to ICBC so they wrote it off he than bought a grand am for a bit hated it sold it than bought his 05 ranger which has been good but plans to sell it maybe to me depending on my financual situation when he is ready to sell it and buy something else
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #41
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
My dad had a '65 Ford Mustang, '66 Ford Mustang, VW Bus and a few other cars. I know his dream car is a 1958 Chevy Impala that I hopefully can buy for him one day
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #42
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
My Grandmother bought a 1965 Mustang in 1964. It was her mid-life crisis mobile. lol...

She is still alive at 101.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #43
GS8

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
My dad taught me that DUIs are a great way to ruin cars

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #44
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
My dad had always had sweet cars, opted for Datsun 240's and stuff when he was younger, He loved all coupe's.

Then he bought his first corolla, then it was all downhill from there, lol.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #45
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

my dad never had any cool cars. He had an old Peugeot from the early 70's when we lived in S. Africa (long before I was born).

When we immigrated to Canada in 1980, we were able to save for a few years and purchase our first of 4 Volvo 145/245DL wagons. The most options they had back then was quarter windows up front (on the 73), A/C on the 75....and that's about it. We mostly purchased them since they were cheaper than American cars back then. He also bought into the whole Safety aspect of Volvo since our 73 was written off when someone cut into traffic illegally and we broad-sided them. Since then he swore to only purchase Volvo since he had a family to care for.

in the mid 2000's (long after the kids finally left the house) he got himself a mid 90's Aurora. Since then he will never consider another import...and I dont' blame him either. Power, performance and cheap replacement parts that seem to last far longer than the old Volvo's we had are just part of the appeal.

I also wanted a Volvo when I started driving, then I accidentally fell for an 86 325es at a repair shop that was for sale. Ever since then I was hooked to BMW, and Volvo just felt too old manish for me.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #46
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
My dad used to own a 68 Firebird back in the 80's, brown with gold flecks in the paint and gold wheels, I don't remember what engine but it was an auto with a shift kit for burnouts He sold it after he moved to Van because it kept getting broken into and keyed no matter what he did
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #47

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
My dad was a big BMW supporter. In fact, my initials are BMW. Over the years, he owned:

-2002 (before I was born)
-325is (E30)
-535i (E34)
-540i (E39)
-330ci (E36)

He still has the E36, but he traded in his E39 for a Benz ML500 (W164). He's currently much more interested in Benz's offerings.

I'm still a big fan of BMWs, and so my son's initials are also BMW. At a young age, he was able to pick them out in traffic.

My realistic dream car will always be the latest M3 (now M4)...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 04-02-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #48
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
My dad taught me that DUIs are a great way to ruin cars

Sorry to hear man, not everyone gets to have a good pops
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #49
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

My dad's first car was a 75 Camaro in high school he bought for like $5k and a beater 63 Impala for $50 for university commuting. Sold the Camaro when I was like a year old and bought a 72 Corvette Roadster. Then he had a beater Hyundai Pony, then an 87 Olds Ninety-Eight. Now he drives a Saturn Aura for commuting but still has the Corvette, and a 67 Impala SS and a 63 Cadillac Eldorado in storage.

Looks like I'm inheriting being a GM fanboy. No replacement for displacement!
ProBoostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #50

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
My dad always had the biggest engine/highest performance version of whatever car he owned.

He had many speeding tickets.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: