REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Cars and how it relates to your dad (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693906-cars-how-relates-your-dad.html)

multicartual 03-27-2014 04:28 PM

Cars and how it relates to your dad

My father once told me that when he and my mother got married, he opted for the sensible choice of a 6 cylinder Plymouth Duster to drive while stationed at Loring, Maine. Throughout my childhood, he often remarked how he wish he got the 340 with the 4-speed instead.

Growing up, I always feared his fate; driving a 6 instead of an 8

RRxtar 03-27-2014 04:37 PM

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/u..._tale_chap.jpg

FN-2199 03-27-2014 04:55 PM

My father once said he wanted a cheap beater.

He bought a 91 Corolla instead of a 93 Civic.

Growing up, I feared inheriting his decision. Do I inherit the Corolla, or buy my own Civic?

Grim 03-27-2014 06:36 PM

my dad once said he wanted the boxy mr2.

he bought a 93 civic coupe dx instead.

Growing up, I feared his fate; driving a fwd instead of a rwd

MTV Cribs 03-27-2014 06:56 PM

My dad drives a car. Now I'm driving a car too :D
Posted via RS Mobile

yray 03-27-2014 07:03 PM

My dad had a glk and I had a forester, he feared that I'll take over the glk so I got a X3. :troll:

GLK vs X3 :fullofwin:

Drow 03-27-2014 07:17 PM

My dad influenced me to like mercs over beemers ever since i was a kid

kakucaekz 03-27-2014 07:28 PM

I was gonna say something, but then I blanked out when I saw Drow's avatar.

Right, my dad drives worn out pieces of crap that he fixes up, and I've enjoyed DIY and learning because of that.

RRxtar 03-27-2014 07:53 PM

My father left before I was born. I never knew what kind of car he drove.

Growing up, I formed my own opinions on what kind of cars to like.

dinamix 03-27-2014 07:55 PM

This thread is gay
Posted via RS Mobile

Matlock 03-27-2014 07:57 PM

My dad had a new first generation RX7 when he was in his 20s.

My grandpa had a new second generation Toyota Supra when he was retired.

I wish one of them kept one of those cool cars for me when I first started driving.

Manic! 03-27-2014 08:09 PM

In the late 70's my dad wanted a new family car that sat 5 people. Bought a brand new brown Trans Am with a 6.6 litter engine, and guess who sat on the Trans tunnel on every trip? Me.

looked just like this except for cloth seats:

http://media.motortopia.com/files/66...f/IMG_4659.jpg

Tapioca 03-27-2014 08:12 PM

My dad owned lots of cars before he got married and had kids, including a 1973 240Z with a stick shift. He owned two minivans while we were kids, but when we grew up, he bought a BMW. He's now retired and has two BMWs in his garage.

Edison_Chen 03-27-2014 08:47 PM

My dad was and still is a Toyota/Lexus fan boi.. and now I am too....

ae101 03-27-2014 09:56 PM

my father once said he was gonna get a ferrari in hk, but then he ened up getting married with kids (& then married again with kids again) so he ended up with 94 honda accord to a 2001 toyota corolla/public transit (no lie)

i guess there is a lesson in my post, if your gonna have to choose between starting family or getting a ferrari, u have to think really careful

orgasm_donor 03-27-2014 10:18 PM

My Dad left when I was about 3 years old and he drove a motorcycle at the time....

...But....

...My mom had a 1966 6 cyl. Valiant then after that bought an almost new '76 Duster with A 6 in it. My very first car was a 1971 Duster with a 318 V8 in it! I had broken the 6 cyl. curse!

Now my '70 Dart has a 383 V8 in it. Big block FTW!

kakucaekz 03-27-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8445122)
In the late 70's my dad wanted a new family car that sat 5 people. Bought a brand new brown Trans Am with a 6.6 litter engine, and guess who sat on the Trans tunnel on every trip? Me.

looked just like this except for cloth seats:

Damn, my dad also has a Trans Am. Except his is a 76, and he's restoring it slowly. Has a 455 just sitting at his shop, waiting. Engine in it right now is a 400 or something, and he has another 440 or something laying around too.

Such a nostalgia trip, I remember when he used to drive that when I was younger. Dat straight piped V8 goodness :sweetjesus:

SpuGen 03-28-2014 12:18 AM

My Dad was always a GM guy since his immigration here back in the late 70's. In 92, he taught me that cars are expendable, but people are not. He wrote off his Olds Cutlass 2 days later..not sure if he was trying to prove a point.

I remember going to the dealership with him to buy a new car, and for the first time, he liked something Japanese made. It was a 92 240sx coupe. I remember begging him to buy it, and he almost did, until my mom showed up and made him buy a Pontiac Sunbird. Flashforward to 95 when the Sunbird was stolen, again I went with my dad to the dealership. This time, we had our eyes on the 95 240SX. It was one of the first ones in Vancouver, and again, my mom marched in and made him buy the Sunfire.

Over the years of owning his Cutlass, through the two Pontiacs, he always let me help when he did tuneups on the car. I was 3 when I picked up my first wrench, and it was the first time I heard a open header...anything. The exhaust hangers decided to just disintegrate, so my dad pulled it off, and we went to the exhaust shop with an open header 231 Buick v6 Rumbling through the cabin. It was supposed to be a 5 minute drive, but it took us 2 hours just laughing and having a blast the entire time. The old Italian guy at the exhaust shop threw in a aftermarket muffler, free of charge. He heard us driving up and down Hastings just wreaking havoc, and saw me beaming when we pulled in. Mom, was not happy.

After he passed, I promised myself that I would get an S13 as my first car. And I did, 3 of them.
I'm still a GM fanboy. Always have been, always will be.

Hehe 03-28-2014 06:14 AM

I think my dad has influenced my car purchases a lot.

The first car I could remember my dad having was a civic. And I even remember to listen to the user "tape" talking about the general car maintenance and the weird sounding music they had when explaining the warning lights on the dash. Then my dad got a BMW 318 in the early 90s and stayed European since. (Range Rover, Porsche and a Bentley Flying Spur W12 coming soon)

So, my first car was logically a Honda, then an Acura and finally moving to BMW, Audi and Infiniti. My next car is probably another BMW or Porsche.

KingKaze 03-28-2014 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 8445330)
I think my dad has influenced my car purchases a lot.

The first car I could remember my dad having was a civic. And I even remember to listen to the user "tape" talking about the general car maintenance and the weird sounding music they had when explaining the warning lights on the dash. Then my dad got a BMW 318 in the early 90s and stayed European since. (Range Rover, Porsche and a Bentley Flying Spur W12 coming soon)

So, my first car was logically a Honda, then an Acura and finally moving to BMW, Audi and Infiniti. My next car is probably another BMW or Porsche.

Same with my dad in a way, had a BMW, stayed euro. And I've been trying to get a bmw ever since :| Why cant I just win the lotto!

murd0c 03-28-2014 06:47 AM

My dad was never into cars at all, I ended up getting the love for them and trucks on my own but wish I had some sort of influence growing up to be honest.

thumper 03-28-2014 07:15 AM

my dad's first car was a 1967 mustang with a 289 in it that he bought used in 1969. he loved that car. he still had it when he got married to my mom, but then after i was born it became clear that the mustang was not a practical family hauler and he had to sell it :(

fast forward to today and now i have a mustang... but i can't help but feel (irrational?) guilt that i was the reason why he had to sell his.

murd0c 03-28-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 8445343)
my dad's first car was a 1967 mustang with a 289 in it that he bought used in 1969. he loved that car. he still had it when he got married to my mom, but then after i was born the writing was on the wall that the mustang was not a practical family hauler and he had to sell it :(

fast forward to today and i have a mustang... but i can't help but feel (irrational?) guilt that i was the reason why he had to sell his.

That would be a nice gift down the road if you can find one like he had and gave it to him on a big birthday or when he retires(if he hasn't already)

thumper 03-28-2014 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8445344)
That would be a nice gift down the road if you can find one like he had and gave it to him on a big birthday or when he retires(if he hasn't already)

it has come up before, especially after watching tv shows like overhaulin but he's almost 80 now and not really into it anymore :(

does anyone have pics of their parents' first rides? i remember my dad showing me a black and white photo of him and his mustang when i was a kid (i can still remember the bell bottom jeans he was wearing), but that was a long time ago... i need to start digging :concentrate:

tr0ubl3s0m3x 03-28-2014 07:31 AM

My Dad owned a new Chevy Cavalier when I was a kid before he bought a 94 Corolla(which is still being driven today). The POS Chevy stalled so many times, blew black smoke like it was a diesel and was so ugly that I promised myself that I will never buy a GM car. Trucks are fine, but not the cars. LOL
Posted via RS Mobile