REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   anyway to stop local car break ins? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/694070-anyway-stop-local-car-break-ins.html)

snails 04-02-2014 09:46 AM

anyway to stop local car break ins?

i live in a nice residential area and the last year a lot of cars have been getting broken into. i am driveway parked with an alarm and ive been hit once for a broken ipod and that was it

a friend that is street parked behind has had his last car his at least 12 times... he has a pager alarm so hes our immediately after it starts going off

and another friend about a block away had his jetta with alarm broken into, subs stolen as well as his deck and amp

before anyone says "move".. my first car was stolen from a really nice residential area in Langley.. this has nothing to do with an area being bad... but maybe more to do with it being such a quiet area

would police up their presence in the area if the concern was raised?

i really like my place and i done want to have to move because of this

AeroK 04-02-2014 10:00 AM

become neighborhood watch and stay up all night! assholes are everywhere

BrRsn 04-02-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroK (Post 8448435)
become neighborhood watch and stay up all night! assholes are everywhere

Sounds like a great idea, you can never go wrong defending your neighbourhood against minorities

http://media.salon.com/2013/07/george_zimmerman.jpg

GLOW 04-02-2014 10:35 AM

http://media.bonnint.net/seattle/4/480/48029.jpg

jing 04-02-2014 10:45 AM

Environmental criminology theory dictates that well lit areas and a lack of escape routes are known to deter would-be offenders. Since you can't exactly alter the physical landscape of your street, maybe look into having motion detected lights?
Posted via RS Mobile

fliptuner 04-02-2014 11:18 AM

While you area might be nice, it's also near an arterial route with transit access.

Before I tell you to move...
Spoiler!

snails 04-02-2014 11:44 AM

its not just concern for my car, its friends and the gf car i worry about. its just a shitty situation as ive been here for years, and within the last year its gone from 1 break in every 1-2 months to about 1 week now..

do the police car about this kind of thing ?

white rocket 04-02-2014 02:52 PM

You could try informing the local authorities about a few different situations. Maybe they will add your area to a local patrol route. Other than that, you just have to take more precaution and up your security measures. You have to deter a thief before they even attempt to break into your car. Usually smash and grab type break-ins happen in a matter of seconds. jing has a great point about adding motion lights. You would hope that a light bursting on in the middle of the night would scare away a would-be thief.

!Aznboi128 04-02-2014 02:57 PM

Buy a older crown vic park it 1/2 block down. "theft deterrent"

but honestly speaking, a motion sensing light that's mentioned above does help. Tried and tested in my old neighborhood.

finbar 04-02-2014 03:05 PM

This

http://breakbrunch.com/wp-content/up...bours-door.jpg

used to be in the back window of a van in my neighbourhood, never did see a broken window.

Euro7r 04-02-2014 06:07 PM

Don't leave anything visible/valuable in the car. These thieves probably felt they are able to steal "good stuff" in your area a few times; hence, coming back often. If they can't steal anything worth value, it possibly will decrease the chances of the thieves coming back; although not saying they won't come back 100%.

Tone Loc 04-02-2014 08:13 PM

I used to live in a condo in New West where shit like this happened all the time. What my dad did for the family car was simple: took EVERYTHING out of the car, left the glovebox open (w/ nothing inside), ditto for the change pockets, overhead sunglass compartment, centre console pocket, etc. Even took away the parcel shelf of the minivan so the would-be thief would see that there was legitly nothing inside the car.

After that, our car was never broken into again but many of our neighbors' cars were, to the point people kept asking us - with suspicion - why our car was never hit. But that is another story lol

Klondike 04-04-2014 01:20 AM

You can have a sprinkler system set up around your car or set up a trip wire system like this

seekerbeta 04-04-2014 07:06 AM

go to the local Citizens Patrol, bring up your concerns and ask to be added to the patrol schedule, when i was working with the C.O.P.'s in Mission, we managed to drop TFA and TFA-LP from 10 Incidents a night in some locations, down to 10 Incidents a week (a location being approx a 12 Block x 12 Block Square.

melloman 04-04-2014 07:29 AM

Neighbourhood watch bro.

Cman333 04-04-2014 03:54 PM

http://www.revscene.net/forums/63042...ity-101-a.html

There's nothing that can be 100% steal proof. All you can do is make it as hard as possible for them to get in, and harder to get out.

There's things like slim jim plates, removing the interior door lock latch, rerouting hood release cables, and many other things that can be done to prevent theft.

PLUJ 04-04-2014 05:21 PM

You can buy a motion detector and when people walk onto your driveway it goes off. I have one in my garage (I have an open garage). At 4am in the morning I busted a theif and told him to fuck off and haven't had any problems now. Sometimes though squirrels or animals go in my garage and the alarm goes off. If you do buy one, spend more money and buy a good one, my sensors reaction time is a bit slow.

SkinnyPupp 04-04-2014 05:28 PM

I lived in the same type of neighbourhood. I found that a motion sensor with a ridiculously bright halogen light helped. I would stay up late, and see the thieves as they rolled around the neighbourhood in Astro vans usually. On a couple of occasions I would actually see the van pull up to my car, the flood lights turn on making it bright as day, then they drive off to rob someone else.

Fafine 04-04-2014 05:28 PM

phantom x 04-04-2014 07:57 PM

Put a biohazard sign in ir window , like human blood/HIV transport vehicle
Posted via RS Mobile

LightKeeper 04-05-2014 11:37 AM

Finally gonna fix my broken window after a break in 3 months ago...
Been driving around with a clear garbage back at the rear passenger window.

I learned the hard way after being broken in to 2 times in one month.

Just don't put anything bags of any type in visible in the car.
It was a bag of groceries and my backpack that attracted them.

westopher 04-05-2014 11:43 AM

Keep your car empty, and your doors unlocked, but an armed alarm. Nothing to steal, no broken windows, no stolen car.

BoostedBB6 04-05-2014 12:33 PM

I know where he lives and its not a bad spot at all.
Personally, I moved just so I could have the garage to park in.

Only way to prevent it from getting damaged/broken/stolen is to keep is safer. If you cant do that and you have a nice car it most likely will suffer. Problem with street parking is that a criminal will see the car there regularly, be able to plan when it will be there and know how much time they have to work with to get what it is they want.

SpeedStars 04-05-2014 01:19 PM

Had a break in a while back even though my car had nothing left open...retard climbed into the car through the tiny ass quarter glass, took my $10 Cambodian tire sunglasses from the glove box, a half finished can of coke, and my backpack which was in the trunk. Also tried to nab my stereo, but failed miserably as the transforming face black-magiced his ass. My resolution? I now park it inside a gate and have bright motion sensing lights to protect both me and my neighbors

Spidey 04-05-2014 01:29 PM

If you have valuables in your car, park it inside. If you don't have secure parking, don't carry valuables inside your car. This goes for stereo equipment etc. If you have stereo equipment, there are always ways to bolt it down so it makes it hard to steal. Thieves won't bother if it will take them more than even a minute to get in and out of a car. If you have stereo equipment etc, you should really have a 2 way pager alarm. This way the thieves are less likely to get away with anything.

It isn't whether cops "care" about these things. It is whether they can do anything about it. IMO, it is up to the owner to ensure their property is secure and do their diligence to prevent crime as well. So many people leave 1000 dollar sunglasses and ipads ipods in plain view. Even purses and wallets. People like that make thieves hit up random cars for the moderate chance that they will score relatively big. Even 10 dollar sunglasses are enough to entice a crack head break and and try their luck.

Stats show there is one police officer for about 500 people in Canada, in 2010. I am sure the stats haven't changed too much. Cops can't be everywhere proactively driving around looking for potential car thieves, let alone all other crimes occurring every minute of every day.