REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #51
2-Wheelin' Mod

Trust me that's the first thing I thought of after!!!

For my next bike it's going to be the FIRST thing I do ....
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Sunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #52
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
wow bike stolen from a GATED garage? i used to park my bike just out on the street every now and then but not anymore! sorry to hear sunfighter, hope everything is settled soon

reminds me at PRS they said if thieves really want your bike, there's nothing you can do to stop them... didn't think much of it, but they weren't joking!
Probably the most common place for bikes to get stolen from. I remember when I had my first bike in 2000 it was like every week a bike was getting ripped from underground parking.

Sorry about your bike.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #53
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Great read from a thief point of view, he mentions how to set up the GPS right as well as a bunch of crazy information.

EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA : motorcycles
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #54
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Might want to look into a Scorpio alarm, they sell a two-way alarm which will alert you if your bike is tampered with. They also have RIDE, a GPS tracking device linked to your smartphone, which has e-mail alerts as well as a tilt and shock sensor. The data plan costs $12 a month for coverage in North America but seems totally worth it.

Build Ride | Scorpio
beanzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:14 AM   #55
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Might want to look into a Scorpio alarm, they sell a two-way alarm which will alert you if your bike is tampered with. They also have RIDE, a GPS tracking device linked to your smartphone, which has e-mail alerts as well as a tilt and shock sensor. The data plan costs $12 a month for coverage in North America but seems totally worth it.

Shop | Scorpio
beanzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #56

damn, 12 a month is pricy (Think of it like "would i pay 144+tax a year for them to have a constant data connection? why not just on demand, or based off a motion sensor to activate limited amounts of time.) , id rather get the icbc payout than a fucked up version on my own bike

main thing is to not lie to icbc and end up getting a shitty pay out because you wanted to declare a lower value for lower insurance.

Also with todays technology couldnt they offer that service for fucking free ==?
I dont pay my garmin gps for that bullshit.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #57
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
damn, 12 a month is pricy (Think of it like "would i pay 144+tax a year for them to have a constant data connection? why not just on demand, or based off a motion sensor to activate limited amounts of time.) , id rather get the icbc payout than a fucked up version on my own bike

main thing is to not lie to icbc and end up getting a shitty pay out because you wanted to declare a lower value for lower insurance.
Also with todays technology couldnt they offer that service for fucking free ==?
I dont pay my garmin gps for that bullshit.
True at this, buddy of mine bought it used from private sell and declare the bike for like 3000 instead of 8000 that he bought it for.

His bike went into the ditch,probably couldve been write off and get money back but he repaired the bike for 6000
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #58
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanzzz View Post
Might want to look into a Scorpio alarm, they sell a two-way alarm which will alert you if your bike is tampered with.

Shop | Scorpio
I've got a Scorpio on mine, it even has a proximity sensor so if someone gets close enough (you can set the distance/range) it will beep at them. I find that this feature deters the idiots who used to think it's okay to throw a leg over your bike when no ones around.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #59
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
True at this, buddy of mine bought it used from private sell and declare the bike for like 3000 instead of 8000 that he bought it for.

His bike went into the ditch,probably couldve been write off and get money back but he repaired the bike for 6000
apparently, even if you declare lower now days and icbc thinks the bike is worth higher than what you declare, you pay that amount.

was told by carter honda yesterday.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #60
I am Hook'd on RS

Take a look at private insurance, if you qualify it's much cheaper for better coverage than ICBC's comprehensive and theft. Plus most privates use agreed upon value, so they write you a check for the value stated when you insured.
franko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilley View Post
apparently, even if you declare lower now days and icbc thinks the bike is worth higher than what you declare, you pay that amount.

was told by carter honda yesterday.
If thats the case I dont understand why we have to declare value at all unless it is HIGHER than what it should be?

So if this is the case as long as its not higher why not declare $100 for all vehicles....

ICBC logic may just be dumb, just like with the whole Richmond China License bullshit.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #62
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
If thats the case I dont understand why we have to declare value at all unless it is HIGHER than what it should be?

So if this is the case as long as its not higher why not declare $100 for all vehicles....

ICBC logic may just be dumb, just like with the whole Richmond China License bullshit.
Because regardless of what value your premium is based on, if your declared value is $100 (for example) if something happens to your bike ICBC will only pay you out $100. It's a retarded system. I started using Beacon last year, it's cheaper, if something happens the payout is based on the agreed upon value and when your basic runs out from ICBC the Beacon policy automatically converts over to storage insurance for the remainder of the term.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
when your basic runs out from ICBC the Beacon policy automatically converts over to storage insurance for the remainder of the term.
REALLY?! Nice Im moving to an appt soon from a townhouse which had its own garage and was sad I was gonna be force to buy storage insurance in winter.

You just saved me 12 bucks a month!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #64
Support Team Mod

In a townhouse you also require 'storage' insurance for at least $ 2M.

ICBC's comprehensive they wanted $ 850. for each of my bikes ($ 1700.00)

Beacon $ 350.00 for the first bike and $ 75 for the second bike total $ 425.00 and that includes the required storage insurance.

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #65
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
I have a question regarding Beacon insurance. Friend of mine had his R6 stolen a few years back, he paid for the entire year's worth of insurance up front and when they paid him out, they didn't refund the unused portion of the insurance. Is this normal? It seems like a very shady practice to me if it is.
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #66
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
they may have factored that into the price they paid for the bike maybe?

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #67
Support Team Mod

SunFighter,

Read you posts on Whats App, with your parcel you left with ICBC, you should get top dollar for a settlement.

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #68
2-Wheelin' Mod

Thanks man - appreciate it.

It's funny how much you miss something when it is taken from you.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #69
2-Wheelin' Mod

The ICBC adjustor just called. I dropped everything off last Friday as they were getting ready to close. He said the bike looked beautiful and thanked me for all the amazing documentation.

He indicated that the appraisal for the bike's value is actually decided by a third-party (he mentioned the name but I forgot) so he basically provides them the information that he does have (mileage, condition, etc.) and it would appear that they force-rank that information against the market for a price and provide it back to ICBC. In this case all the documentation I provided helps because ICBC is going to submit the condition, etc., of the bike as in NEW condition....
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #70

Lesson learned, keep all documentation.

Such a discipline, gotten into the rotten habit of throwing everything out.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #71
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,182 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post
The ICBC adjustor just called. I dropped everything off last Friday as they were getting ready to close. He said the bike looked beautiful and thanked me for all the amazing documentation.

He indicated that the appraisal for the bike's value is actually decided by a third-party (he mentioned the name but I forgot) so he basically provides them the information that he does have (mileage, condition, etc.) and it would appear that they force-rank that information against the market for a price and provide it back to ICBC. In this case all the documentation I provided helps because ICBC is going to submit the condition, etc., of the bike as in NEW condition....
probably Autosource.
when the valuation is done and you're not happy with it. ask them to email you that autosource and investigate in those ads they use. they may throw in rebuild ones and it's up to you to find out.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #72
2-Wheelin' Mod

Alright guys ... ICBC just called. I am very happy right now. I am going in to sign the paperwork shortly.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #73
2-Wheelin' Mod

ICBC deferred the valuation to Autosource with some of their own information (condition, mileage, etc). The valuation was extremely generous. They valued the bike at exactly what I paid last year (actually more as they added recent servicing, etc.) so really I am only out the $500 deductable and the tax I paid on the bike. I think this was the best I could have hoped for so I am pretty happy. Cheque in hand already.

As they already handed me the cheque ... I asked what would happen if they found the bike before the 22 days.... they indicated they could call me but were very confident that the bike had already been cut up and if it hadn't it wouldn't be in a condition I would necessarily want anyways. Fair enough.

Time for a new bike.

Thanks for all the support guys.

For those of you with bikes now do the follow ... keep LOTS of high-resolution, high-quality photos on hand... it REALLY helps ICBC with valuation and make sure you keep ALL of your service records.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #74
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
So what bike are you thinking about getting or what bikes do you have on your list?

It seems like you're satisfied with the end result although I'm sure if you didn't have to go through any of this you would chose that option. Way to stay positive.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #75
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
I'm really surprised they settled the claim before waiting.

Glad you got a fair settlement but it's still shitty you had to go through this to begin with (plus, don't you have to deal with damages to your SUV?). Unfortunately, after you get a new bike, you'll have to figure out what to do to prevent this from happening again.

Fucking thieves.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote