REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a00755836 View Post
i have a picture of the witness.

if i dont have evidence, i hope icbc will take my word for it that i did try to gather video footage around any shops nearby for 2.5 hrs
this may hurt your case, as the other guy can say that it was a regular green (both directions, straight) hence why the idiot was crossing the road.

your word means nothing, unfortunately, unless you have some proof - if both have a different story, they may actually find in the other driver's favour as he was going straight, and the onus is on the left turn driver to prove they were on a green.

i hate people - why did that cunt want nothing to do with it? it's 1 f'ing phone call to ICBC to say 'left driver had green arrow, i was being a dick by walking at wrong time'

having said that, you sitting in the middle of the road isn't a good idea - you should have gone much nearer the cross walk to both clear the majority of the intersection (avoid this mess) and also to pressure the dick that's crossing at the wrong time.

but i do feel for you as you are about to get raped by ICBC to the tune of $$$$$$$$$$

what does the other driver say? i bet he'll be a dick and lie about it - vancouverites may think they're nice and great, but they're dicks, just like everyone else
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 AM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
What an asshole witness. What useless piece of scum doesn't want to help another human being.

Fucking assholes.
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
this may hurt your case, as the other guy can say that it was a regular green (both directions, straight) hence why the idiot was crossing the road.
He took the picture after the accident. The light probably would have turned green by then.

Picture is too blurry anyways.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 AM   #29
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post

your word means nothing, unfortunately, unless you have some proof - if both have a different story, they may actually find in the other driver's favour as he was going straight, and the onus is on the left turn driver to prove they were on a green.

i hate people - why did that cunt want nothing to do with it? it's 1 f'ing phone call to ICBC to say 'left driver had green arrow, i was being a dick by walking at wrong time'

having said that, you sitting in the middle of the road isn't a good idea - you should have gone much nearer the cross walk to both clear the majority of the intersection (avoid this mess) and also to pressure the dick that's crossing at the wrong time.

but i do feel for you as you are about to get raped by ICBC to the tune of $$$$$$$$$$

what does the other driver say? i bet he'll be a dick and lie about it - vancouverites may think they're nice and great, but they're dicks, just like everyone else
when i was turning left, the pedestrian was waiting for her light. I totally recall that the pedestrian light was still RED. if i was WRONG, then she wouldve been crossing the road also and subsequently run out of the way. in the picture, she only walked 1/3 of the crossing.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #30
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Another inexperience drivers! NO MATTER WHAT SITUATIONS, when the oncoming car has not intention to stop, you don't drive in the intersection. ICBC rules!

ICBC will not take your words without any solid evidences !

As a result, ICBC will tell you two drivers, 60 (silver Corolla): 40 (you) fault.

Get ready to pay more when you renew your car insurance next time!

Learned a lesson !

Last edited by registrar; 04-07-2014 at 07:55 AM.
registrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #31
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by registrar View Post
Another inexperience drivers! NO MATTER WHAT SITUATIONS, when the oncoming car has not intention to stop, you don't drive in the intersection. ICBC rules!

As a result, ICBC will tell you two drivers, 60 (silver Corolla): 40 (you) fault.

Learned a lesson !
I wouldn't go that far as to say he is an "inexperienced" driver. You can easily argue that the other car should not be entering an intersection when the light is RED, which is more of a blockhead move than to conduct a left turn on an advanced green, assuming cars around you are not going to run a red light. However, the way that the cars came in contact with each other, and the fact that both cars are entering the intersection from a stop, the collision should have still been avoided at that low speed.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #32
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
What an asshole witness. What useless piece of scum doesn't want to help another human being.

Fucking assholes.
Posted via RS Mobile
I've been a witness before for an accident. The adjustor I spoke to over the phone thanked me for my help because she said it's rare that witnesses come forward. Kind of sad of you think about it, because it only took 1 minute out of my day and most people can't even give that up
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #33
I don't get it

I just called city of Richmond Transportation. they were most helpful. however, they didnt have hardcore evidence.

But basically, the guy i spoke said this:

at the moment of time of the impact at that specific location and time, it is possible I have the green left arrow with only one car in the left lane in the intersection with no other cars.

green arrow with green light: 3 - 8 seconds
amber - 3 seconds
red clearance (which means every traffic light is red for safety) - 0.5 seconds

this is the best evidence so far. in total, I have at least 6 seconds to make a full left turn which is plenty of time for me.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #34
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

If you have access to the footage from memory express, even if it missed the moment of impact, you can still assess the time of the last red light (either from direct sight of the light or when the cars stopped crossing the intersection + timestamp of the camera footage) and with City of Richmond providing you the timing of the traffic light at that intersection, you should be able to extrapolate the state of the traffic light at that time.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #35
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:

Learned a lesson !
That's BS.

If you have to wait for the intersection is clear to make a left turn without an assurance that the car over there is going to stop for a solid red then....what's the point of having advanced green light?

On a legal stand point that's the same as crossing intersection in stale green while getting tboned. The fact that the green light points a direction SHOULD give the driver following the direction all the benefit of the doubt... otherwise I'd have to stop at every green light and look sideways before I make it across the intersection -> legally I'm needed to be sure the cars coming in perpendicular has "intention to stop"? That's just BS.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #36
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
I think I remember something along the lines of "proceed when it's safe" which is where I think registrar is coming from.

I hope you can sort this out with ICBC! I know the City of Richmond's transportation department is very reliable and knowledgeable so hoping that will help in your position (assuming you can get time stamped footage..)
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #37
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
If you have access to the footage from memory express, even if it missed the moment of impact, you can still assess the time of the last red light (either from direct sight of the light or when the cars stopped crossing the intersection + timestamp of the camera footage) and with City of Richmond providing you the timing of the traffic light at that intersection, you should be able to extrapolate the state of the traffic light at that time.
unfortunately, that is too much detail for time stamped footage. memory express skipped the most important five minutes between 8:35am - 8:40am. i just talked to my icbc adjuster and she said if I dont have any video footage, basically, im at fault 100%. no 50/50. I will call Scotiabank if they have anything tomorrow.

Keep on coming with your pointers and ideas.

I am writing a complete statement on who's liable for this incident. what the city of richmond provided is not good enough even though i told the adjuster the traffic signals yesterday correctly matched. I would have to go towards an arbitrator if the fault becomes solely on me.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #38
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Spidey and HK2000 <<< LOL Hey, you two, whatever !

Hey, a00755836. Let us know the final result if you like. It should be out around a month or so.

Hope you can get a better deal from ICBC.

Thank you.
registrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
hey OP, I was in an accident before where i was going left and a lady ran through a red, had a witness and only had to pay a deductible and won the case so good luck OP. Give you some hope! (even if you do not have a witness)

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #40
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Consider this scenario: It WAS green for them, and you turned too early. You would be 100% at fault.

ICBC can't take that risk, so without proof, it's literally your word against theirs. That usually results in a stalemate, and ICBC will have to side with them. Sorry dude. Hope you get that footage!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
hey OP, I was in an accident before where i was going left and a lady ran through a red, had a witness and only had to pay a deductible and won the case so good luck OP. Give you some hope! (even if you do not have a witness)
If you won the case, you wouldn't have to pay the deductible.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #42
I don't get it

memory express helped me extract the footage. it doesn't show much. but it did show that moments before the accident, two cars had the left turn advance signal while cars going northbound on no3 had to wait.

now, you might argue that there were two cars instead of one (me). but I can back up the evidence by city of richmond's traffic phases.

I will be contacting translink freedom of information to get a footage possible from far away as lansdowne station. they might have a camera that faces toward alderbridge way.

my statement to send to my adjuster is currently sitting on: 1930 words. lots of pictures and screenshots of who i contacted. 16 pages including title page.

after work, i took the bus and went to richmond acura to look at this rare white 2008.5 mazdaspeed. only 56500kms! $16900! it has the same brand coilovers as my car (bc racing). corksport exhaust. and rolled fenders. unfortunately, its sold.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #43
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Well, time for my second post, there are some valid points in here. I know that intersection well and I have great knowledge of average speed and traffic volumes through there at the time of the accident. If you had an advance green, you will be just fine.

The problem is, as someone else said, if she says it was green, good luck, it'll be 50-50.

Legal sh*t aside part of being a good driver is avoiding accidents like these in intersections and given my knowledge of that intersection and traffic at that hour....Were you BLIND or NON OBSERVANT and did you not notice that the other car was traveling with seemingly no intention of stopping? Did you rely on just the fact that you saw a green arrow for you?

Not trying to be a jerk, but being ignorant of other drivers regardless of their actions whether they are illegal or legal is part your fault. Most professional drivers would have avoided that accident, judged the other car was not going to stop and avoided the accident.

Suppose ICBC sides with you...ultimately though...you lost because your automobile is devalued from the accident.
UGOTTABEKIDDING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #44
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
hey, did you get my message? hopefully i have helped you out.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #45
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
If he had won the case he will get the deductible back in cheque form from ICBC. It depends when the claim was made, eg if the claim was made before ICBC figured out who is at fault then he would have had to pay up front.

Length of your argument won't help your outcome, real life is not a high school essay. Clear and succinct one will though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #46
I don't get it

i would like to say this:

witnesses were terrible.

but businesses around that area were very helpful. they have helped so much and i can't thank them enough especially memory express, scotiabank, and lv lighting.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #47
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by registrar View Post
Spidey and HK2000 <<< LOL Hey, you two, whatever !

Hey, a00755836. Let us know the final result if you like. It should be out around a month or so.

Hope you can get a better deal from ICBC.

Thank you.
strong english.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #48
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
strong english.
i will try. my statement is 23 pages, 2600 words. video footage is what icbc adjusters want. i told the icbc adjuster who's handling the case that i will immediately have her manager to give me the file to apply for arbitration.

however, my adjuster is saying even with my long statement, it still doesn't shift liability to the driver who was going straight through a red light.

I told my adjuster that if this was true, everyone would be going into a red light and scamming people. she said there are still good people out there.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #49
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a00755836 View Post
i will try. my statement is 23 pages, 2600 words. video footage is what icbc adjusters want. i told the icbc adjuster who's handling the case that i will immediately have her manager to give me the file to apply for arbitration.

however, my adjuster is saying even with my long statement, it still doesn't shift liability to the driver who was going straight through a red light.

I told my adjuster that if this was true, everyone would be going into a red light and scamming people. she said there are still good people out there.
that response wasn't for you, lol. But the adjuster actually told you that even if the other driver was facing a red light, you would/should have yielded to him/her because they were going straight and you were turning left? That is nuts. ICBC is a joke. All they care about is money, which isn't surprising. So what did the adjuster say regarding percentage of fault even if it was proven that the other driver ran a red light?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #50
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

But what if you were midway through the turn, and the other car started moving from standstill. Since car would be half way through, it wouldn't have been a long distance for the car to hit him. When you're half way through your turn, you look towards where you're going, not to the right of your car.

But if what ICBC said was true. I'm going to get a crap car and run every red light to scam people, then blame it on brakes crapping out last second, so liability be 100% on the other car. Just doesn't make sense.
bomiheko is offline   Reply With Quote